First Review by lauramcc

Bummer - Edit

Haven't even eaten here because there is no gluten free options unless you wanna pay triple for a small ass salad. Prices are too high for what you can get around town. I just go to New Leaf markets instead and go to the salad bar or hot bar or get veg sushi or wraps there for much cheaper and very yummy.

Pros: options for gluten eaters

Cons: no GF options, price to high , small portions when i walk by

Not very tasty plus was overcharged - Edit

Three of us grabbed something to eat at Alfresco. I'm not a regular reviewer, but I felt I needed to comment on three things:
1. Food was not tasty or good. All three of us ordered different items and none enjoyed what was ordered. I tried a bite of someone else's wrap, and I liked it even less than what I ordered.
2. I ordered a chai latte. I expected something more than Tazo Chai from Costco mixed with soy milk for the $3 (or whatever it was).
3. No receipt. She did the calculation on a piece of paper and told me the total. I paid without thinking, but after I left, the total seemed off to me, so I re-calculated and she charged me an extra $2.15. Either she doesn't know how to add or she added an extra 10% tip. I did include tax in my calculation.

Bottom Line: Even though I walk by there every now and then while I'm in Santa Cruz, I will not eat there again. I'm not a fussy eater, and usually I'll give another chance to any vegetarian place, but when someone screws with the bill like that and/or is not willing to take the time calculate the total correctly, I will never go back. I would give one cow if I could.

Pros: Location

Cons: Taste, Value, Incorrect Bill

Fresh food fast! - Edit

For a quick bite and supporting a woman-owned business with super-fast & fresh food, I recommend Alfresco (the sign on the kiosk says "Health fast Food". YUM! We got two Mediterranean wraps, which were very light and fresher tasting than most. Filled with: Cumin Bean Spread, Marinated Artichokes, Roasted Red Peppers, Smoked Tofu, Crimini Mushrooms & TONS of Organic Baby Greens (like spinach). Very tasty and you get to choose any sauces you want to eat it with, so we chose Pomegranate vinaigrette and Peanut Sauce (yummers!). Loved how fast and tasty it was and it was light enough to serve as a healthy snack and not induce a food coma. The owner is very nice and with outdoor seating, we could chill & hear live music on the corner next to us while people-watching. The owner had a sign over the window saying that food takes 45 seconds to 2 minutes to prepare (per item I guess). True! We got our healthy food in less than 5 minutes. We were happy to support this business on our vacation & wished more like it sprang up around urban areas. This business is meat-free. yay!

Pros: Outdoor, Fresh, Fast

Recommend the wraps - Edit

I really enjoy this place, always very tasty and healthy. I especially enjoyed the wrap I tried. The nice woman who runs this spot always comes through with great food. All vegetarian.

Pros: great food , healthy, good portions

Cons: outdoor kiosk

Great little kiosk - Edit

This kiosk on pacific avenue is efficient and has tasty wraps as well. Several vegan options with an ethnic flair. There is a little outdoor seating area as well. Great for a quick bite on the run.

Pros: Healthy food, Efficient service, Outdoor seating

Cons: No indoor seating

Scrumptious and healthy veg fast food! - Edit

I really like this place. When you eat here you can taste the love this lady puts into her food. I mean, you can't beat a single proprietor location that makes all it's own sauces and smokes it's own tofu. That's right, smokes her own tofu. None of that smoke flavoring here, actually smoked.
The wraps are amazing, all fresh and organic ingredients. My mouth is watering just writing this review. Also, the rice bowls are great. When I'm in a hurry I get a wrap, when I'm broke I get a rice bowl. Wraps have lots of greens(no iceberg or romain here, but real gourmet lettuce and spinach andarugula and tatsoi)and a healthy dose of shaved roots like carrots or beets(always very sweet and fresh). Plus, the roasted bells and sundriedtomatos always seem so fresh. I've never had a bad experience here. There are also some nice bottled juice and tea choices, plus a few packaged togo deserts(homemade and non - both veg and vegan)
This is a small kiosk directly on Pacific Ave. There is no bathroom, and outdoor seating only. Great people watching. The prices, though low, are a bit pricey for the portion size. Still, worth it though.

Pros: Delicious and fresh., Vegan, prepared with Love., Awesome proprietress.

Cons: Bit pricey for the small portions., Bathroom is one block away.

Many reasons to eat here... - Edit

The location is convenient, the price is decent and the food is no doubt healthy. It's very nice to get vegan fast food in between errands, and the lady who runs Alfresco is very nice. However, the three times I have eaten here the food never tasted very good, just very, very healthy. For that reason this place never seems appealing to me and unless I am really short on time I'll go somewhere else.

Pros: Healthy, Good value, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not tasty

Healthy, Tasty, Fusion Cuisine - Edit

Hummus with pita chips, African stew with couscou, rice paper wraps, rice bowls with tofu and peanut sauce. Many salad options. All delicious. And don't forget the wonderful apricot bars!

Pros: excellent food, quick, green

Cons: no covered seats

Great healthy food - Edit

I love this place. When we are hanging out in downtown Santa Cruz and want something quick and healthy, this is the perfect spot. And there are so many vegan options! My favorite is the rice paper wrap packed with organic greens, carrot, cucumber, and avocado spread. And there is so much more to choose from. As well as the yummy vegan apricot and cranberry bars - fresh and homemade. The food is excellent, made with a lot of care, and with a light footprint on the planet. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone, especially vegans and vegetarians, who want extremely healthy, great tasting food on the go or while enjoying the sunshine. The owner is wonderful too. Just the kind of local business I love to support. Give it a try!!

Pros: green business, excellent food, varied vegan options

Cons: cash only

Return to Santa Cruz Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Alfresco - Kiosk closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2196 times since Aug 2007.