Alchemy

• ( 90 reviews )

57 Penestanan Klod, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia, 80571

Raw food cafe and juice bar, all-vegan except for honey. Sells organic produce, raw chocolate and desserts, raw vegan ice cream and snacks. Also a colonic hydrotherapy clinic. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-8:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Honey

First Review by ggwyn

JohnnyRawr

Points +209

14 Sep 2021

Turning base foods into gold

Alchemy is one of many spots in Ubud offering raw food delights. Although not my number one go-to spot, it's still worth dropping in and munching on some magical morsels. The raw Mexican platter is a nice place to start. There is also a small store space in the corner of the restaurant offering a limited selection of superfoods, dried Balinese fruits and jamu (traditional Balinese medicinal drink).

Westonb144

Points +16

02 Jul 2021

Hidden Honey

Never eat at Alchemy if you care about honey. They have screwed me over so many times. They put honey in almost everything and only list a few things as having honey. I only found out through constant questioning. I spoke with the owner, but they ultimately don't care because they believe in ethical slavery and the magical medicinal properties of bee vomit. They have no integrity or ability to understand the principles of consent or what veganism means or that bee vomit is not a human food or healthy or a plant that would fall under the umbrella of plant based.

They know it angers people, but they think they're right so they don't care about violating you. They've been doing this for years apparently. I guess I'm just an ignorant customer who doesn't know what's good for him so let's just slip in honey wherever we please.

I don't get how people can call themselves vegan and still think it's ok to exploit a living being. To steal their food and use them for their own profit against their will. Maybe insects don't count or maybe it's ok if it suits you that day. Maybe saying we treat our slaves really well is enough. Some people just have no honor.

agulden

Points +917

26 Jun 2021

Raw and vegan

Food at Alchemy is raw, vegan and they have juice and smoothie bar, salad bar, chocolatier and a health food store. Their famous clinic is located upstairs.

We popped in to Alchemy in the afternoon just to try their raw cakes. There were quite a few to choose from but we ended up having these two: Lemon Coconut Cake (cashews, coconut, palm nectar, lime, salt, Irish moss, dates, coconut oil, vanilla, Kangen water and Banofee Pie (banana, coconut, oats, palm sugar, xylitol, cashew, coconut oil, cacao butter, Irish moss, lacuma, vanilla, cinnamon, salt.

I also had the opportunity to try their raw sushi and it was fresh and vibrant.

Pros: extremely friendly staff

Lifeofprana

Points +16

18 Jul 2020

Hidden Honey

Honey is in all but 3 of the appetizers and mains. The only three that don't have honey are the sushis and the Mexican burger. They do not notify you on the menu even though many have complained. They deliberately deceive people when honey is not even healthy or ethical. I will never be back.

davidmarsh

Points +24

21 Jun 2020

Life of pie

Fresh raw vegan delights especially dessert

Pros: High quality raw menu

Cons: Pricey for Bali

Veganjuicelovers

Points +21

Raw
09 Mar 2020

Expensive & straight liars

Call themselves the first raw VEGAN restaurant yet almost all the sweets and desserts contain HONEY. Honey is not Vegan. Was there 3 years ago and the quality and quantity of food now in 2020 has declined and the prices have risen. Very disappointed

Pros: Food used to be tasty not anymore

Cons: Small portions, very greasy and salty, Honey is not Vegan.

Hinnerk

Points +192

24 Feb 2020

Sehr entspannt

Wir waren jetzt mehrere Male hier um zu frühstücken und waren jedes Mal begeistert! Es gibt eine sehr große Auswahl an verschiedensten Frühstücksangeboten. Unser Favorit waren die Smoothie Bowls, die man sich selber zusammenstellen kann. Wir kommen auf jeden All wieder!

Pros: Viele vegane Optionen , Sehr lecker , Ruhige Atmosphäre

Cons: Recht teuer , Immer ziemlich voll

DidiDiane

Points +26

21 Feb 2020

Be careful!! Hidden honey!!

I absolutely love the DIY smoothie and salad bowls here and have been coming almost everyday. However, I wanted a sweet treat, looked at the menu at the bars. None of them say honey even though before I had a menu where one was marked vegetarian (suggesting it contains honey). I go to the sweet counter, almost all have honey, including the raw truffles which also aren’t marked with honey on the menu. I ask the waiter, he doesn’t know which is correct so he asks the kitchen. The counter is correct 😭

I’ve also had 2 other dishes from their main menu which disappointed me. One was the waitress’ “favourite thing on the menu”. Spinach mushroom quiche. It was severely lacking flavour and had hardly any mushrooms in.

I also had the cream of mushroom soup more recently. When it arrived, I wondered if maybe they had brought the wrong dish. It wasn’t creamy at all, very watery and didn’t fill me up.

Pros: Smoothie bowls (ask if granola has honey) , Really good WiFi

Cons: Misleading menus , They support bee torture

EsterPolková

Points +204

29 Jan 2020

Perfect raw-Vegan food

Really tasty raw food. If you love fresh veggies, salad, seeds tahini and cashew .. you will be satisfy !

Pros: 98% Vegan resto , Healthy & fresh, Salad bar - mix your own..😄

Cons: Little bit expensive

JanileeSvärdstål

Points +42

25 Jan 2020

Loved this place!

I loved their Zucchini Noodles. The staff was friendly and the place kitchen was very clean and safe. It was such a nice vibe I wish I could have stayed there all day.

Pros: All-Vegan except honey, Healthy, Nice Atmosphere

Cons: A little far away

RockvilleVeg

Points +88

19 Jan 2020

Ok food

I am not a big fan of raw food (although my wife is which is why we went). I found the food not that tasty and fairly expensive (relative to other places in Ubud). If you like raw food, you may be really happy with the restaurant. I would not go again given all of the other amazing, and less expensive vegan vestaurants in Ubud.

Hootinthehouse

Points +924

03 Jan 2020

Great food, but sketchy if you’re vegan

The food here is really delicious and the desserts are amazing. Also the build your own smoothie bowl bar is genius.

However, this restaurant has a massive issue and that’s that the staff and management have no idea which items have honey and which ones don’t. On multiple occasions I’ve asked which items have honey at the smoothie bar. Once I was told that all of the granolas have honey, once they told me they have palm nectar, once they said they weren’t sure. Honey isn’t vegan and so it’s a huge liability to be feeding it to vegans without telling them. It’s no different to milk or meat, they need to understand that. It comes from exploitation, same as those products. Just because they’re insects doesn’t mean they deserve to be enslaved 🐝

Pros: Yummy food, Smoothie bowl bar

Cons: Staff has no clue about what has honey, Expensive

Veganjuicelovers

09 Mar 2020

And they have the audacity to call themselves the first Raw Vegan Restaurant in the area...

CharlotteBowden

Points +18

14 Dec 2019

Not 100% vegan

Honey in a lot of dishes

awkwardmisfits

Points +30

04 Nov 2019

Great salad bar!

Loved the salad bar and also the coconut latte!

Pros: Great salad bar & coffee

Cons: Quite pricey

chefryley

Points +82

13 Oct 2019

Incredible venue and menu!

Beautiful food, drinks and the venue is super cute and very comforting. Service is excellent and this sorta venue would be incredible in my home town!!

Pros: Whole menu is raw and Vegan, TONNES OF OPTIONS, Away from main ubud strip

EmmaPotter

Points +107

05 Sep 2019

$$

only got a smoothie because I was on a budget but the menu looked yummy!

Sarahjane1390

Points +240

03 Sep 2019

Food very tasty, staff not great, pricey

Restaurant beautifully decorated inside but definitely a pretentious vibe...
Tried the pizzas which were really tasty. Didn't like the chocolate mousse very much.
Expensive prices and then they add on 16% tax & service.
Nice for one visit, but probably won't be going back.
Staff also a little clueless...

Pros: Nice decor , Food tasty

Cons: Staff not great , Expensive , Slightly pretentious.

Lester

Points +1035

27 Aug 2019

Good food, good vibe

Vegan and raw menu. Good place for lunch. Helpful staff.

Claas

Points +130

15 Aug 2019

"Vegan", but not vegan

The place calls itself "vegan" (Quote from the menu: "Everything at Alchemy is raw, vegan, organic and made with love."), but several products contain honey, especially ALL bars, ALL desserts and ALL truffles (we verified with the staff, only exception would be some of the ice cream). For these it's not even listed as an ingredient!

Pros: Salad + soup bar (69k each), Large selection of drinks + food, Nice interieur + bathrooms

Cons: Not vegan (as in "no animal products"), Incomplete ingredient lists, Uses honey in several dishes

AmalieSofieLuther

Points +170

14 Jul 2019

Good raw vegan food!

Had the aloha pizza and mushroom/spinach quiche and both were amazing. Very tasty and beautifully decorated. I really liked this place!

DB89

Points +52

07 Jun 2019

Fancy

I felt Alchemy was a little too pretentious! No real vibe, food was ok. Wasn’t overly impressed, not sure is return

_travel__

Points +416

06 Jun 2019

Great flavours

We had the aloha pizza and pasta primavera, both very delicious. I am still surprised, that it is possible to make a raw pizza tasty! Big compliment to the chef.
We also ordered chocolate mousse which we thought was out of date because of the sour flavor. It was still good, just made of coconut. As we returned it, we didn't have to pay for it and the manager was very helpful and understanding.

Pros: Great taste, nice atmosphere, friendly staff

AshtrayArts

Points +133

03 Jun 2019

Love!

Never had a raw pizza before but this one blew my mind! Been there mostly for breakfast but everything was amazing!

Medulla0909

Points +413

21 Apr 2019

Best Raw Vegan Food EVER

Honestly the absolute best raw vegan food I’ve ever had. I have thought of this place so many times since returning home to the states. I told a woman from Italy that the raw vegan pizza here was every bit as good and better since it’s vegan. I think she thought I was crazy for that statement until she tried it for herself. She thanked me and apologized for doubting me. Ha! I’m serious the aloha pizza is everything and more. Everything I tried here was amazing.

Pros: Best raw pizza ever , Peanut truffle was to die for , Healthy and amazing

Pamy

Points +230

07 Apr 2019

Amazing

Best salads in town. Delicious smoothie bowl bar. Noce staff, v good service. Sitting not as cool as before. But food is so good, you forget about it!

Pros: Salads, Service, Tasty food

Cons: Pricey, Sitting

JodieLouise

Points +301

21 Mar 2019

The best raw food ever

Mmmmmmmmm I’m so in love with this place

Pros: Raw foodies heaven , Lots of seating

SaraOliver

Points +336

18 Mar 2019

Good options

Fancy, pricey, but delicious raw vegan food options. Probably would be a great place to do some nomad work.

Return to Ubud Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Alchemy closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.