Al Natural

C/ Zorrilla, 11, Madrid, Spain, 28014

Small place with bar at front and seating area at back, located near metro Banco de Espana and Parliament Building. Around one-half of the menu are vegan items. Gets busy so reserve ahead. Open Mon-Sun 1:00pm-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Spanish

First Review by Parasol

Good desserts, not vegetarian. - Edit

The restaurant is in a small street but not difficult to find. It was good, but as the quantities were small, it was a little bit expensive in the end. The place was full and pretty noisy. And they had chicken in the menu, so definitely not vegetarian.

Pros: Desserts are really good.

Cons: A little bit expensive, noisy, chicken on the menu

A vegetarian meal behind the Spanish parliament - Edit

This local is located in the city center, however it is placed in a very calm street. Anyways, when I visited it, it was full.

The menu is expensive (24€/person) but the quantity is satisfying. The food pretend to be healthy and like home cooked, which is totally OK. Maybe it could be less greasy.

The decoration is very old fashioned, as well as the incomfortable seats.

Pros: nice taste

Cons: price, very slow service

Cocina natural, con variadas opciones vegetarianas y veganas - Edit

Nos ha gustado mucho, nos han servido rápido y con mucha amabilidad. Tienen muchas opciones vegetarianas y veganas. Recomendables los raviolis y el escalope de seitan con guarnición de verduras

Good good, unconfortable seats - Edit

We hace tried paella de verduras, seitan a la pimienta verde and milhojas de berenjena. All very good vegan dishes, but you can stay only a while cause chairs are very unconfortable. And brownie is good looking but bad tasting.

Pros: Good vegan options

Cons: Bad dessert

Demasiado grasoso - Edit

No es un mal lugar ni la comida es mala, me parece es que todo es extremadamente grasoso. Todos los platos llevan demasiado aceite esto no deja saborear bien la comida y la hace muy pesada.

Pros: céntrico no muy caro

Cons: grasa en exceso

sad dinner experience - Edit

We went to this restaurant with our vegetarian friends the 25th of May 2016. To experience a good vegetarian meal. Well, we didn't appreciate the food nor the price. For €100 we had dinner with 4 persons, going out we saw that we ate the same as the menu wich was half this price and including drinks and dessert. The waiter didn't tell us. We The food was fat, salt and cooked without passion. A great dissapointment in fact. We sent them an email but didn't receive any response

Pros: the place looks nice

Cons: fat food, salt food, food without fantasy

Another great Veggy restaurant in Madrid - Edit

Another great Veggy restaurant in Madrid we are being spoilt, this is the third one that we have been to on this trip and they were all very good.

lunch - Edit

Wonderfully prepared Lunch: slightly upmarket feel, delicious Madrid wine. Love the innovation - for me at least - of making it a veggie resto with a meat eaters option. For once I'm not the freak.

Cream of courgette and almond soup simply delicious. Excellent salad and Veggie Lasagne - Aubergine based, but zapped in a blender. Subtle taste.

Pros: food, ambience, wine

Cons: slightly odd price structure

All veg with MANY vegan options- Delivery!! - Edit

I ordered delivery from this restaurant via just-eat.es so I haven't seen the restaurant location. The food is so wonderful and delicious. It is all vegetarian and about half the menu is vegan, including some vegan desserts. A lot of dishes are made with quinoa, so it seems there must be a lot of gluten-free options. The salads are typically Spanish and seem a little plain to this California vegan, but the dressings are really tasty. I really enjoyed the "apple pie" and stuffed eggplant with "veggycheese" and I ordered some extras to reheat for dinner tomorrow. I am really curious to see the restaurant in person and try more of their wonderful food.

Pros: many vegan options, vegan desserts, quinoa

Cons: the salads are very plain

Nothing special - Edit

I ordered the fine herb salad and was expecting a salad with fresh herbs in it. But on my plate was mostly shredded lettuce covered in olive oil. No herbs to see, only under microscope a few green dried particles swimming in the oil. I can do a salad like this without using a kitchen but for far less than 11 Euros. When the bill came I noticed they also charged me extra for some bread which I didn't order and didn't touch. I feel as if I get nicer salads in non vegetarian places where I don't expect it while in Vegetarian restaurants the salads often turn out to be expensive and nothing special. Ambiente also old fashioned and a bit run down. The cooked food maybe okay though. But the portions looked small in general.

Cons: Ugly Place, Expensive , Not Worth The Money

Cozy and relaxed, food: meh! - Edit

I gotta give most of the points to the environment. It's very cozy inside, there's a relaxed atmosphere with nice, warm colors on the walls and rustic furnishing and calm music.

The service was very good as well, our waiter was a bit nervous, but he might have been new, he was very nice and attentive.

Too bad the vegan options were a bit limited. I had the Salad Al Natural, which was basically a beautifully presented plate of fruit, it was very big, but the combination of those fruits were not the best, it tasted a bit boring. Could have had some lime, salt and pepper perhaps. This plate would fit into the dessert menu.

One of my friends had the vegan apple pie (the only vegan dessert they have)which was basically just cooked apples with cinnamon... Didn't taste anything!

My boyfriend had the wholegrain pasta with mushrooms, which wasn't much to brag about either, just a normal tasting pasta dish.

So, for vegans is not a great idea to come here. The appetizer is not vegan and if you ask for something vegan they will give you a very crappy salad with sweet corn, olive, tomato and a lot of olive oil.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 15, 2014

Updated from previous review on Friday August 15, 2014

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, Good sized portions, Great service

Cons: Not so great for vegans, Bland tastes

Perfect NYE, thanks to this place! - Edit

My boyfriend and I were a little underwhelmed by Madrid and feeling a little apprehensive about the NYE celebrations after hearing from some locals how out of hand things got. Also, as a vegan, I was starting to become frustrated with having so little choice in the city. We were beginning to wonder whether we'd made a mistake. Then, on a whim, I made a booking at Al Natural. It was the best decision I made. There was a pre-set menu for 60 euros per person that included five courses and wine/beer. Every course was excellent, and we found ourselves wishing we'd found the place earlier in our vacation. The portions were great, the service was extremely friendly, and they even gave us champagne to drink before we left and twelve grapes to take with us to Puerta del Sol (a NYE tradition in Madrid) as we went. The atmosphere was also great - music at the perfect volume and bags full of silly NYE wigs and toys to put us all in the spirit. This really made our New Year's Eve a treat!

Pros: The food!, The service!, The ambience!

Pretty good! - Edit

Had the seitan and mushroom dish. Was pretty good, although the seitan was a bit heavier than the stuff I'm used to back home. Was a little freaked out when the server brought out an appetizer and I asked if it was vegan, he said yes, only to come back 10 seconds later when I already had a bite in my mouth to say it had eggs! So vegans, don't eat the appetizer, and maybe ask twice about everything just to be safe. Overall good experience and good food though.

Delish, don't hesitate! - Edit

I came here for dinner with my husband one night while visiting the city and we were thrilled! We're vegan and the menu is incredibly accommodating! Have you tried saying "veganos" to anyone in Spain? Yep. You'll have to list "no egg, cheese, milk, cream, etc" b/c saying "no dairy" gets you absolutely nowhere. In fact, saying your vegan is worthless. No one knows what it is.

At Al Natural, we could rest easy that our food wasn't sauteed in fish sauce or battered in egg yolks. Our server was incredible and so was the food. We had no complaints but I must say - the dessert wasn't worth it. A bottle of wine was a cool €11 so that was a nice perk! We wanted to try as many foods as we could while in Madrid but if we were in the area longer than 4 days, we would've absolutely come back.

Why meat in a vegetarian? - Edit

This is a elegant vegetarian restaurant with a large menu with most of them vegan, but the surprise is an outdoor banner with a 12 euros daily menu with chicken optional! It is necessary? A pity!

Pros: Quite ambience, Vegan options, Good food and quantity

Cons: Serves chicken!

Great! - Edit

I went to have a dinner at Al Natural and it was great! Good people, good city, recomended!

Al Natural Restaurant, Madrid - Edit

All the food on the main menu was vegetarian, but they had a lunch menu at 12 euros per person, which had four vegetarian main courses and one chicken, which spoilt it. It was a reasonable sized restaurant and the vegetarian food was very good. There was an English menu and English was spoken by some of the staff.

Pros: Good Food, Moderate price, Cheap lunch menu

Cons: Chicken served

vegan friendly - Edit

I usually avoid 'vegetarian friendly' places but this one was definitely a good choice! the place is cosy and the staff very friendly and understanding. There were no vegan mains on the daily menu so they prepared me a delicious dish with several delicious stuffs :-)

Pros: nice staff, tasty food, vegan friendly

Cons: meat on the menu... WHY????

Return to Madrid Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Al Natural closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.