Ain Soph.Journey

• Friend
03-59258908

3-8-9, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan, 160-0022

The 2nd of Ain Soph vegan restaurants, est. 2013, this one is the Shinjuku-ku District and has party space available for rental. Serves plant based Japanese-French fusion meals and seasonal desserts. Casual-chic atmosphere. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-2:00pm, Mon-Sat 6:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 6:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Japanese, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, French, Fusion

First Review by BlisterBlue

Great option - might need to book - Edit

I found this cafe a little tricky to find, and once I found it they were fully booked. However, the staff were great and were able to get me a table an hour or so later. It's a nice set-up, the food was tasty and the dessert even better. They have some nice vegan snacks available for purchase as well, which were welcome as if you don't speak Japanese it can be hard to tell the ingredients in many Japanese snack foods elsewhere.

Pros: Good food, Friendly service, Snacks etc available for purchase

Cons: Might need to book as very popular

when busy service is very slow - Edit

There are only two cooks, and when we went it was quite busy. It took nearly an hour to get our food, but when it came, it didn't disappoint at all. The pancakes are amazing. Taste more like an American biscuit, but seriously delicious.

Staff is very nice and one spoke a little English.

Pros: delicious, good portion sizes

Cons: when busy, slow service

Euro vibe, English spoken, great quality - Edit

Like everyone else says, the pancakes were the star here. Almost scone-like but still decidedly pancakey and served with whipped soya cream, rum & raisin ice cream and fresh fruit.

We found it slightly hard to tell what portion sizes would be like, and whether it was sharing-platter style or not. The green curry seemed like a decent main size (green from spinach rather than Thai) and was really tasty. The tortilla & dips weren't as hefty but the blue cheese style dip was amazing.

We might try and go back for the cheese plate (and more pancakes)so will update if we do.

The place was quite busy -we were sharing a table with two Japanese ladies - but were left to take as much time as we liked with things.

Pros: Pancakes! English, unhurried

Cons: Limited menu, hard to tell portion size

Great atmosphere - Edit

This place is so lovely inside.
The staff are really nice, I've only ever tried the rice dishes they serve at lunch time. They aren't bad, but they aren't amazing either.
Its definitely a cute place to catch up with friends and relax.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Pancakes, Sweet staff

Cons: More options on the menu

Cosy and somewhat avant garde - Edit

This little gem is hiding away downstairs an almost rough looking stairway, that soon opens up into one trendy little restaurant. The kitchen is downstairs, dining up above.

We had the scrambled egg, some sort of mushroom dish and rice, and a veggie and rice dish. All were different, yet all were good. The scrambled eggs were not really like scrambled eggs of the poultry variety, but nice nontheless. The veggie hit was a welcome change also.

Staff were very friendly, and some English was spoken so there were no issues with communication. Recommend if you're after a slightly more expensive dinner.

Pros: Lovely food, Friendly staff, Cool interior and design

Great food - Edit

Really good cozy restaurant. I had the fajitas and the tiramisu pancakes. The fajitas were amazing and the pancake was divine - possibly the best vegan desert I've ever had! Went with a friend who is gluten-intolerant and they had several options for her too. Would definitely recommend it.

Pros: Cozy, Decent sized portions

Cons: Maybe a tad pricey

Must try the pancakes! - Edit

I tried many things from this restaurant. The vegan cheese plate (only available during dinnertime) had very tasty cheese, my omnivorous family could not tell the difference from regular cheese! However, we were given only two slices of a baguette, which was not enough to finish the cheese. We ended up eating more than half of the cheese on its own.

I had a bite of the tortilla roll, it tasted very cumin-ey.

The Deep-fried veggie meat was crispy, juicy and delicious while the vegan cutlet was also crispy and quite tasty.

Tomato soup was savoury and delicious. Spanish omelette was mushy and quite bland.

Hayashi rice was okay. I felt like it could have a little more flavour.

Now on to the best part of this place. The pancakes! Inside the nicely crisp outside of the buttery pancakes were soft, fluffy and pillowy. The rum-raisin ice cream and the whipped cream complimented the texture and taste of the pancakes. My family preferred the soy whip over regular whipped cream! A must-try for anyone visiting Tokyo!

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-09

Pros: Pancakes, Cheese, Pancakes

Cons: A little pricey

Come for the pancakes - Edit

I was a bit worried about how the experience would be, based on other reviews which mentioned that the portion sizes were small. It's definitely the case for some of the main meals I had but I did come here mainly for the pancakes. They definitely were tasty (1500 yen). I recommend coming here for them, not too sure about those mains.. I also picked up their Snowballs cookies which were absolutely delicious (600 yen for approx 8 balls).
Staff was nice.

Pancakes - Edit

Was on the bucket list for the longesttt time ever. Finally went, smashed the pancake sand wow those pancakes were just heavenly! The were heavenly pillows of fluff, a slight crispiness on the outside, topped with a decadent maple nut ice cream, delicious fruit sauce, and a large tuft of soy whip cream. Sooo expensive though, could only afford to get that (I'm a student) but it was such an amazing after exam treat. People, if you go to Ain soph you gotta order the pancakes!! They were heavenly! But of course,as previously mentioned, everything at Ain soph is to small portioned and really expensive, but I do believe the pancake experience is worth it wow!

Come for the pancakes - Edit

Very cute restaurant, our waitress was very very nice, helpful and had great English, unfortunately the food wasn't that great and the portions were pretty small relatively to its prices (if only evey dish would come with some simple rice it could be 4.5 stars review). The pancake was great! and you should definitely drop by for it!

Pros: English menu, great waitress and the upstairs floo

Cons: the price dosen't match the food quantity and qual

Delicious but Pricey and Small Portions! - Edit

It is wonderful to find somewhere that does nice vegan food in Tokyo, but I found Ain Soph is really expensive. Combined with the small portion sizes I wouldn't return here too often.
The tacos was a reasonable size and came with salad, but the cashew curry was just that - a couple of spoonfuls on a plate with no rice or anything else.
We finished up having a portion of pancakes each - the mango and coconut was amazingly good.
I think this is the most expensive vegan meal we have ever had, and we only had main courses and sweets. Very good though!

Delicious! - Edit

We had a fantastic experience here. The food was incredible and lovely staff. The dessert plate had us drooling!

small portions - Edit

Small portions and high prices for the simple quality of the food. $9 for a ginger ale was also steep, even if homemade. I was embarrassed for having dragged my colleague here to try it.

Delicious - Edit

The food here is amazing, especially the pickles and the fried 'chicken'. However, it's definitely Tokyo prices. A meal for two will set you back 2600 yen or so with one drink and no dessert, it's so convenient though, just 4 steps from c6 exit of shinjukunichome station.
Having said that, the portions were small and for hungry vegans volume is key. The little bits of things to pick at does irritate me sometimes. I want to feel like I ate, and sometimes at ain.soph it's hard to tell afterwards if you ate or not...

Pros: So amazingly delicious , Convenient , Nice atmosphere

Cons: Small portions, Hard seats

A MUST GO!!! - Edit

As a vegan looking for some exquisite blend between Western and Japanese cuisines, I found this marvelous little perl in the middle of Shinjuku Sanchome. There options are amazing, like pancake, waffle, ice-cream topped with whipped cream, and just so much more! For vegans especially, who only find sophisticated options like these in the US, Ain Soph. Journey is heaven! I even found some of their vegan products, like the whipped cream, better than the ones I find in the US. If you are in for an exotic healthy meal, this is a place you can’t miss! Don’t forget to buy the delicious “Snow Balls” on your way out! They are simply AMAZING!

Pros: taste, location, food presentation

Cons: pricy but worth it, not much English spoken but there is menu in Engli

great desserts - Edit

Loved the fake meat deep fried cutlets and the waffle but not too keen on the mains, would defo visit again for the fake meat cutlets and dessert though

Good Healthy Food - Edit

This place is a blessing for vegans! It is a quiet little respite with wonderful service and really good, healthy food with a Japanese flare. I've been in twice. The falafel burger was good but my favorites are the salad bowl (with quinoa and crisp veggies) and the burrito. I'll stop by again for these two treats before leaving town to return to Florida.

Foods were ok - Edit

We ordered all-you-can-drink course. Foods were ok, but we were disappointed by slow service and high price considering the quality of the foods.

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ain Soph.Journey closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.