First Review by shekala

flavorful vegan curries available - Edit

not the best indian i've had in the city, but it was quite delicious. i had alu gobi and the palak tofu extra spicy and i was impressed by both. the naan isn't vegan tho but my sister liked it. what i liked the most tho was we ordered dosa podi--ground chili in oil on the side & i've never had anything like it & i lived in india! it was amazing! like a chili peanut butter or something. recommend that for a flavor enhancer or just to eat spoonfuls of like i did.

Pros: dosa podi, great service

Cons: too pricey for me, very tight space

Good for vegetarians, difficult for vegans - Edit

I love Indian food, but due to the consistent presence of dairy in most vegetarian Indian food, I haven't eaten it at a restaurant in ages, so I was really looking forward to trying this since they were fully vegetarian and listed as vegan-friendly. The food that I did get was tasty, albeit very spicy, so it wasn't a complete disappointment.

However, as a vegan who also has rather severe reactions to dairy nowadays, this restaurant is difficult and, for the thriving vegan community in NYC, is not worth the trouble. Even the manager failed to understand that vegans do not consume any dairy. The appetizers and entrees came out with sauces on the side that I couldn't identify, and when I asked the server and manager if they were vegan, the response from the manager was that one of the sauces "has a little bit of yogurt" without noting that we were vegan or removing the sauce (after sending two sauces back to the kitchen, they finally stopped adding dairy sauces to the plate). Fortunately I didn't accidentally eat any dairy, but when even veg-friendly restaurants know to not send out dairy to a vegan customer or can note on the ticket that the table is vegan, I feel like this is really inexcusable for a vegetarian restaurant that is supposed to be more vegan-aware. The server, while rushed, was much better about making sure the dishes were vegan, while the manager didn't seem to prioritize that we got vegan dishes.

Most of the entrees were vegan, which was great. Unfortunately, no desserts were vegan, which is a shame since, from the menu, most could have been made dairy-free. Service was also slow and we were often ignored for the bigger parties, and our drinks were often empty, and given how spicy the food was, we needed all the water we could get.

It wasn't the worst dining experience I've had, and the vegetable biryani was amazing. However, given the slow service and concerns with eating vegan there (and lack of any vegan desserts), I probably won't be returning to this restaurant any time soon given how many other truly vegan-friendly options are in the city.

Pros: Authentic-tasting Indian food, Wide variety of choices

Cons: Slow/inattentive service, Not very vegan-friendly

Best Indian I have ever had - Edit

My non vegetarian girlfriend reluctantly joined me - boy was she pleasantly surprised!!! I thought it was the best Indian food I have ever had, and I try them all.
The Gobi Manchurian (spicy cauliflower) is a must. In fact, everything we had is a must. The lunch buffet is a real bargain at only $11.95.
Very clean and beautiful atmosphere.
Don't miss this new addition to the New York veggie scene. We will be back often.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-10

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ahimsa Indian Vegetarian Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.