Ah Sin Vegetarian

Contact +852 23660067

G/F 71 Chatham Road, South Oriental Centre, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China,

Dim Sum counter at street level - restaurant on the first floor. Very popular at lunch times. In a very busy commercial area. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by JohnnySensible

Good food - Edit

You have two options here: you can order from the kitchen upstairs, or you can get some quick takeaway from their counter at street level. We actually did both tonight.

From the food counter, we bought two fu pei guen (bean curd rolls), lo bak gou (turnip pancake), lo bak gung (stew with turnip, mushroom, and bean curd skin), and ma tai gou (water chestnut cake). All were terrific, and the total bill came to 40 HKD - a fantastic value.

We then went upstairs. Their staff was really friendly and welcoming. Their kitchen menu had a huge variety of foods. As some others mentioned, Quorn featured prominently on the menu, which means a lot of the items are not vegan friendly. However, the menu is still extensive enough to contain many vegan-appropriate dishes. Moreover, the dishes with eggs are clearly labeled (assuming you can read Chinese, as the entire menu is in Chinese).

I ordered the truffle fried rice minus egg. Unfortunately, they forgot to hold the egg, and I didn't notice until I unveiled my food at home. So I didn't get to enjoy this dish, but the rest of my family said it was very good.

The incident with the fried rice was a major bummer, but I'm still giving them 4 happy cows for good value and the tastiness of the stew and appetizers.

Updated from previous review on Sunday January 03, 2016

I feel compelled to downgrade my rating. I went again tonight, ordering happily from both the menu and the downstairs counter.

The downstairs offerings were once again great, consistent with previous experience. Unfortunately, the restaurant experience was also consistent with before, i.e., my order was wrong *again*. This time I ordered a dish called monkey head mushroom with vegetables, which I was really excited about; it's been a while since I had this type of mushroom. However, to my consternation, I opened the box at home and found mock meat instead of monkey head mushroom.

To their credit, the dish was still tasty. Still, this was a major disappointment, and I don't think the price I paid was a fair price given the lack of special mushroom. Based on the repeated failures with my takeout orders, I worry that there is a distinct lack of attentiveness or perhaps even dishonest dealing, neither of which is particularly favorable. I'd like to be forgiving and hope that the third time's the charm, but I'm wary of going back for fear of repeated disappointment.

Pros: Variety, Good value, Good food

Cons: Takeout orders consistently wrong

A sin to eat there... - Edit

We found the place easily enough from our hotel. The staff spoke no English and the menu was in Chinese. A patron was kind enough to translate. We ordered two dishes and the waitress insisted we order more to which I refused. She kept pointing at other dishes on the menu and nodding. I shook my head saying no to let her know I didn't want it. English speaking patron departed while our "food" was being prepared. The food comes out and it's four dishes. Way too much food for two people to consume. She decided she add more to our order anyway. I tried to explain that there were things that I did not order but they didn't played like they didn't understand. I know by the way she looked at me that she knew
though. The food was awful. Supposed vegetarian restaurant with white rice! The flavor was bland and terrible. I couldn't even get through the meal. I was so angry and disappointed. When the bill came it was $35usd. I was pissed off and physically repulsed by what I had just eaten. Normally I am not a mock meat person. I prefer vegetables. Things I can identify. To waste so much money on that garbage bothers me till today. Terrible experience.

Pros: Easy to find, Clean, Big

Cons: Worst food in the world, Nobody speaks English , Very expensive

Ah Sin Vegetarian, Hong Kong - Edit

Updated from previous review on Monday September 08, 2014
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 29, 2015

I went here again last night with the Meat Free Hong Kong group in meetup.com (see pics). Tons of food for what worked out at 105 HKD per person, its great value with all dishes ordered being vegan friendly.

Its a fairly normal traditional HK vegetarian Chinese restaurant set up. If you've been in any of the others you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Decent value for money

Cons: 100% vegan is always even better

Go with a good appetite - Edit

We came upon this place by chance, as it was not on the list of veggie restaurants we had compiled before we left home. We were very pleased with both the food and the service. Remember to ask if the dishes you choose are spicy, as many of them are, Portions are very big, so go with a hearty appetite.

Pros: Good food, Good service, Big portions

yummy!!!! - Edit

I was lucky enough to be put at a hotel near ah sin (it was a work thing) and ended up eating almost all my meals here. Yummy Chinese food that I can eat!!! The ground floor street food window is the best!!! Cheap veggie Chinese food!!!!

Good Cheap Veg Dining in Kowloon - Edit

We found Ah Sin by accident when our group went to visit the Hong Kong Museum - which is about 2 blocks away.

They have a pretty extensive menu and as one reviewer noted many dishes contain Quorn. I know that Quorn products in the U.S. contains egg whites and on that basis, we avoided these items.

There were still plenty of dishes without Quorn and we enjoyed our selections of Fried Rice Noodle, Vegetable Fried Rice, Eggplant and Tofu, and a mixed Chinese Greens dish. They do add egg to their Fried Rice dishes so I asked that they omit this.

I can speak some Cantonese and this was helpful as I don't believe there is much English spoken as this restaurant. As the menu is in Chinese and English, you should be able to point to your selections and get dishes that will meet your specific needs.

At the end of the meal, they presented some dim sum items from the downstairs takeout shop for our dessert treat. This was a nice touch.

Napkins are often not found at Chinese restaurants so be sure to carry some of your own. They don't serve ice water but you can order bottled water. Green tea was served.

Service was good and the food came out promptly.

Pros: Large Menu, Good Value, Decent Food

Cons: Ambiance Lacking, Ice Water Not Available , Meat Analogs Are Made From Quorn

If you love quorn... - Edit

I've just eaten at this restaurant, and was really disappointed because the previous reviews were so good. Basically, their whole menu is Quorn of some sort. As the stuff makes me unable to breathe, I found it extraordinarily hard to find something to eat there. None of the waitresses spoke English, so I had to ask the couple next to me for help. Once I finally found something I could order with the help of this couple, it was pretty good. The fried tofu was a bit bland, but the soupe with rice cakes was good. There were no desserts on the menu.

It's not a particularly nice restaurant, and they don't even give you table napkins, which I found annoying. My seat was wet (don't know what with) when I was shown to it, and I had to deal with an irritated waitress when I asked it to be dried.

All in all, if you love quorn in every shape and form, and aren't bothered about service, this is an ok place to go. However, it was extremely disappointing to me.

Pros: Easy to find, Huge selection of quorn dishes, Big portions

Cons: Menu 90-odd % quorn, No English, Not very aesthetic

Friendly, Fast & Delicious - Edit

Large selection of wonderful food. Our order was quickly prepared. Service was prompt and friendly. I wished I lived in HK so I could go all the time.

Pros: Great Food, Large Menu, Excellent Service

Cheap doesn't mean bad! - Edit

My friend and I had dinner here before going to the movies. We ordered the set dinner for two, which included a small pot of soup, three main dishes, and two bowls of rice. Food was delicious and portions pretty generous. Dessert soup was freebie and just got the right amount of sweetness to it, which is exactly how I like it. All this food only cost about HKD150 everything inclusive, what a bargain! And the quality is by no means compromised for the price. Yes, there are a lot of fake meat items as usual, but you can get around that by ordering something else, which I found quite easy in here. Definitely recommended!

Pros: very good value, prompt service

Cons: fake meat

Tasty snacks - Edit

Some very tasty dim-sum options - right on the street - immediate hunger removal.

A couple of items contain cow cheese so be careful.

The upstairs restaurant was packed out when I thought about eating there on Friday lunchtime.

"I'll be back!"

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ah Sin Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4643 times since Jul 2010.