Affinity Vegetarian Garden

• Vegetarian
Contact 204-943-0251

208 Edmonton St, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada,

Winnipeg Chinese restaurant serving Chinese food. Buffet style set up for lunch, paid for by weight. Food is all vegan except for a couple dishes that contain eggs (which are marked on menu). Uses faux meats made from soy protein. Weekday lunch buffet from 11-2, plus full a la carte menu in evening. Last orders at 8:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Buffet

First Review by Katrinamgerman

Unique Vegan Chinese Food - Edit

This restaurant is truly unique by having a very large selection of vegan and vegetarian menu items that are very delicious and affordable. Been there twice and ordered extra on purpose for leftovers. Friendly staff. Food is served hot (temperature wise) straight out of the kitchen. Unique menu items that I did not think were possible. No complaints and lots of praise.

Pros: Unique menu items, Food served hot and not cold, Friendly staff are attentive

Cons: Older style decor

Best Veggie Chinese in the City - Edit

I go to Affinity regularly for either takeout or to eat in. They are consistent with every dish they prepare - consistently amazing! Fave dishes are: steamed dumplings, hot and sour soup, wonton soup, spicy gluten, veggie steak, curry chow mein, sweet and sour veggie ribs. Several dishes are or can be made gluten free.

Pros: family run, very friendly

Soooooo yummy! - Edit

My husband and I don't like Chinese restaurant food, but we decided to try this place since everything is vegan there. I am so glad we decided to try it out! The food is sooooo good. We go there all the time now and recommend it to everyone. The food is delicious and the prices are very low. There are a lot of options which is good and over time we found out our favourites but everything we have tried there we enjoyed. The dumplings and wontons are two things we always order. The people working there are very friendly and on Mondays they offer a discount. We love it!

Great Place! - Edit

They have an all-vegan lunch buffet during the week, and it's my favorite place to eat lunch, great variety and always very tasty. You pay by weight, and I find my plate is usually $8-$10 depending on how hungry I am.
You can order off the regular menu at lunch or dinner, and then you pay by the dish. The regular menu does have a few items with egg, so watch for that.
Mondays are 10% off your bill!

Pros: Very Tasty, Affordable

Favorite Lunch Place! - Edit

Delicious and a good value! Buffet style, plate is weighed so you take as little or as much as you like. My favorite dishes are sesame balls, black mushrooms, rainbow bean curd and crispy veggie balls! Affinity posts their lunch buffet daily on the FB page.

Pros: Daily menu is posted, Location, Pay by weight

Great place overall - Edit

I frequent this place for their lunch buffet, it's consistently good. Dinner has some fantastic options but you have to know what to order, I've had some disappointments. I recommend steamed dumplings, veggie balls with brown sauce (yes, terrible name great dish), spicy mushrooms, seaweed tofu soup. One time I ordered wonton soup with noodles and it had spaghetti in it. Maybe they were out that day but I didn't risk it again. MSG makes me very ill and I've never gotten sick eating here. Good enough for me to keep coming back almost every week.

Pros: great food, all veggie, , no msg

Cons: have to know what to order.

Great in Every Way. - Edit

Great lunch buffet, dinner is also tasty. Conveniently located downtown, so it's within reach for everyone all over Winnipeg. Has no alcohol. Staff is friendly. What else do you need to know?

Pros: Tasty Food, More people than most love it., Buffet for lunch

Cons: No alcohol, Decor is ho-hum

Don't waste your time - Edit

This place is not sure why they would be veg, asking them question about how they prep there food, they are puzzled with the question. They don't even have low sodium Soya.
Tastless dishes and poor presentation. Its time for a makeover.

Pros: Downtown location, family own

Cons: Chinese mix recipes, No culinary Skill dishes

Yummy - Edit

This place was a lovely treat. Cute, clean restaurant with a very wide selection. We had the dinner for three and added the fried vegetable balls which were delicious. Friendly service, been to lots of veggie places in Canada and this one is top notch. :)

Pros: food, taste, staff, price

Cons: closes early

Affinity Vegetarian Garden - Edit

We liked the quiet of the resto and the very friendly service. Just a short walk from the Louis Riel Hotel where we stayed, so a fien location. Food was so very flavourful and colourful. Plenty rice, vegetable, and high protein (faux meat) choices. Always leave room for their refreshing desserts.

Wonderous - Edit

Affinity has a nice atmosphere and is hygenic. The decore is nice.
The food is amazing! I have never tasted better veggie meats any where else.
The employees are very nice people.

Pros: Clean, Friendly service, afforable

Cons: chairs are placed too close together

"Not-Spicy-1Bit Curry Soya Pork with Potato" - Edit

We went back, since Delicious (that we wanted to try out) was closed. We ordered Vegetarian Mock Goose, but they didn't have it, so we ordered the Curry Soya Pork with Potato(real salty, the soya chunks smells like chemical, it was labelled spicy but wasn't at all): around 8 CND. The hot and sour soup (shredded young bamboo shoots, mushroom, tomato, a little bit of tofu): around 3 CND and affinity garden noodle (we chose HO FAN for the noodle type ): around 9 CND was good (veg ham, mushroom, ... can't recall what else ... ). All in all: 22.something CND (before gratuity).

Here is our post for our 1st patronage:
"Buffet at around 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on week days"
Posted by dkingdesigndotcom on: Sunday, September 02, 2007
Review: We didn't get the chance to try their buffet (since they are closed each Sunday and this coming Monday they will be closed for the day), but we tried their "wonton soup, brocolli, spring roll, tofu / mock pork" combos and they were good. 15.71 CND all in all, and we were full! Their water doesn't smell, which is good! Their mock pork (we believe) is made of mostly dried soya protein, I (the wife) believe, but we agreed they taste just like real pork ) *shivers!* Free plain water (in Singapore, we ate at Original Sin- and the water there was bottled water (maybe) and it cost us 9 SGD just for the water.).
Pros: very reasonably priced, :)! * HUGE PORTIONS! *
Cons: soy sauce has sodium benzoate? (They uses/used Kikkoman- that has benzoate- for the tables.)* *

Cons: soy sauce has benzoate?, curry soya pork

Best Food Ever! - Edit

I have been to Affinity numerous times now and have not once been disappointed. Last night I had the opportunity to go to Affinity again and I tried a few dishes I would like to recommend. Sometimes going to a new restaurant with different options can be intimidating because you don't know which items to choose. If you need some help, here are some of my favorites:
The Veggie Shrimp, (crispy battered bean curd, vegetables and veggie meat, comes with a sweet and spicy sauce)
The Steamed Veggie Fish (exact same constancy as tuna, tastes like real fish and wrapped like sushi)
The Steamed dumplings (veggie filled heaven comes with a ginger sauce that is incredible!)
The only con about this place is there's too many options I have to keep going back in order to try new things!

Pros: excellent food, wide variety, good value

Cons: to many options

Return to Winnipeg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Affinity Vegetarian Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3461 times since Aug 2007.