Adobe Cafe - Roxborough

• Veg-friendly
Contact 215-483-3947

4550 Mitchell St (at Leverington St), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19128

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cozy neighborhood cafe offering a diverse menu with some vegetarian and vegan choices including seitan, tofu, and soy cheese.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Southwestern American, Non-veg

First Review by

Vegan-Friendly Mexican Restaurant, but food so-so - Edit

I love the idea of a vegan-friendly Mexican restaurant; I have not seen anything like it other than Chipoltle anywhere else. All other sit-down Mexican restaurants I have been to mean you have to eat nachos without cheese and sour cream - or even without guacamole! That is no fun! Adobe Cafe has vegan cheese and sour cream on stock and does not add dairy to guac. They have an entirely vegetarian menu where most items on it can be made vegan easily and all the staff there are familiar with vegans.

One big but, which is that the food is much better at Chipoltle and when making nachos at home. The food doesn't taste like some other Mexican places. Unfortunately, there are no other real good options other than Chipoltle for vegan Mexican food in the Philly area.

If you crave Mexican food and miss it as a vegan, I would recommend this restaurant to you. If you don't mind Chipoltle or can make great nachos and other Mexican food at home, this may be your best bet.

Pros: Veg-friendly Mexican restaurant, Staff familiar with vegans, Vegetarian/vegan menu

Cons: Food not great

Nice place! - Edit

The Adobe cafe is a nice casual place to have drinks & veg food. I wish things were labeled as vegan, not "dairy free", but the tacos I had were wonderful.

Pros: food, service

Cons: items not labeled as vegan

Perfect for veggie and meat eaters sharing mexican - Edit

I've only been here once and as the other reviews have said, this is a great place to go if you want some mexican food and you have meat eaters and veggie/vegans to make happy. I went with a meat eater and we both did very well. You do have to watch it a bit if you're vegan, no vegan cheese still, but I still managed to have some alright vegan fajitas. I didn't care for the way they grilled the tofu, it just tasted burnt, but hey I still got some tofu fajitas, so it wasn't all bad. The salsa and chips were pretty good and it has some character in this place. If you're party is all veggie/vegan you could do better somewhere else, but if you're close by or have meat eaters to make happy, because I know they will die if they don't eat meat at every meal, then this place will really work. Hey I wish every restaurant had as good veggie menu. I only ate here once and they were busy, so maybe their food is prepared better if I went again, I really hate to judge on one visit. Overall I like it, I wasn't too impressed, nor was I too dissapointed. A solid veggie place, I wish I could see more like this.

Pros: tasty spicy salsa, lots of veggie options, tofu everywhere!

Cons: lots of meat on menu, no vegan cheese

Great Place! - Edit

This is a must try for those who have vegans and meateaters in the same family (as i do!). Their food is consistently good and have lots of options for vegetarians as well. could easily eat vegan by making a few requests from the kitchen. staff usually friendly and accomodating. very affordable. they usually have some great happy hour specials too. their outdoor seating area is really great for summer:)

Pros: vegetarian/vegan options, affordable, delicious food

Very good, but needs a few improvements - Edit

Excellent Vegetarian Menu. Seitan is wonderful and a must try. The tofu sour cream is vegan. However, the soy cheese is not vegan. The non-dairy jalapeno mayo has dairy according to the chef (recently changed menu item) and the texas wings have a glaze that contains butter. I left a comment card regarding those issues. Overall though, the meal was excellent with good sized portions. The combo seitan fajitas and seitan burrito were wonderful.

Pros: seitan, helpful staff, vegan tofu sourcream

Cons: few non-dairy options, rice not vegetarian

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Adobe Cafe - Roxborough closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1894 times since Aug 2007.