Acorn Vegetarian Kitchen

Contact 01225446059

2 North Parade Passage (at Abbey Green), Bath, England, BA1 1NX

In summer 2012 Bath's Demuths restaurant was sold to two of its staff, one of whom is the head chef, and has been renamed to Acorn. Offers seasonal, modern vegetarian cuisine. Mon-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:30pm-9:30pm, Sun 5:30pm-9:30pm, Sat 5:30pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Beer/Wine, British, English

First Review by Laura Lynne

Delicious vegan lunch - Edit

We are travelling in the UK for 17 days and honestly expected that we'd struggle to find vegan food. Finding Acorn in Bath was a miracle.

The service was really good and the food was seriously one of the best meals I've had in weeks, and that's saying a lot coming from the uber veg friendly Portland, Oregon.

The mushrooms with demi glace, the split pea soup, the chocolate torte, everything was divine. A lot of care goes into this food and they aren't trying to make it resemble meat dishes, rather are content to let the veggies shine on their own. And shine they did. Even my meat eating brother loved the meal.

Thank you for this meal. Yum!!!

Pros: Great menu, Delicious food, Perfect location near the Roman baths

Cons: Crowded seating areas

vegan fine dining done right - Edit

A fine dining experience perfect for all! The vegan small plates put together make a lovely meal to share! I am vegan and adored the food but a omnivore went with me to and guess what they said about the delicious vegan food we had "one of the best meals I've had eating out in a while"! We had the sourdough bread with hummus, garlic and pea dhal, cashew and carrot pare and polenta chips with seasonal ketchup! Followed by a lovely vegan chocolate torte for dessert!

Definitely suggest a visit for all! And price wasn't to high especially for fine dining gourmet food!

Pros: vegan fine dining experience, even omnivores love it, small plates are great, staff are so chatty and ki

Brilliant meal - Edit

We went in late November and had the Christmas set menu. My heart sank a little when I saw nut roast, having eaten a few awful ones in my time, but this was a world away. It was very refined, beautifully presented and packed with flavour. I've taken off one star for the pudding which was nice, ( chocolate pot ) but not terribly inventive, and my only other quibble is there were a couple of things on the menu that could easily have been vegan but weren't.

Gourmet Vegan Food at it's Finest - Edit

As a vegan we don't get much choice when it comes to fine dining but Acorn is something else entirely. The food is outstanding! I swear I've never had better vegan food in my entire life.

I constantly think about this place and the food I'll never be able to recreate myself.

Some things to keep in mind: You'll almost definitely need to book in advance because this place gets busy and it's extremely pricey but that's because it really is a classy place with incredible food.

Trust me, I lived in Bath for three years and didn't want to visit this place because I thought it would be overpriced and pretentious. - It wasn't. It was amazing.

Pros: incredible food, Friendly staff, cosy place with natural light

Cons: Bit expensive

Did I die and go to vegan heaven? - Edit

The food here, at what is ostensibly a vegetarian restaurant, is superb. We went there on a Monday evening and the place was packed. This has to be the best vegan food I've ever eaten. The wines were also superb - how lovely to be vegan and be treated to a feast of flavors instead of the eternal offer of "mushroom risotto".....we even bought one of the Acorn cookbooks and have created a couple of their masterpieces at home. This menu is all about creative blending of spices, herbs and vegetables. The staff are charming and helpful.If you're in Bath, do go,it's an amazing experience. All menu items marked as to whether they are vegan, veggie, or gluten free.

Pros: The food, The wine, Relaxed atmosphere

Favourite restaurant ever - Edit

Sorry guys for the super excited title, but so far it's true. We spent 3 days in Bath and ate almost exclusively at Acorn. It is a bit expensive but it's so worth it that I can't complain about it.

We managed to try all the vegan dishes and weren't let down by any. I would recommend that you get a main first instead of several starter dishes as everything matches perfectly in the mains and the plating is gorgeous. You do end up a bit cheaper with the starters though.

They had pretty good deals at lunchtime or early evening. Supper was way more expensive for almost the same food.

Pros: Great plating, Everything was delicious, Friendly, central, lovely interiour

Cons: Expensive, Only in Bath

Delicious! Omni mum loved it too - Edit

Me and my Omni mum visited bath and she took me hear, we had a 3 course Sunday lunch for less than £20 each plus wine. Was absolutely delicious, want to go back to Bath just to go here!
Also listed GF and nut free options, had a good dessert selection and wines too.

Pros: dessert! , wine! , delicious, well priced food

Vegan delight in the heart of Bath - Edit

Me and my friend stumbled across the Acorn Vegetarian kitchen on a spontaneous visit to Bath, we were on the hunt for a vegan feast and we were not disappointed. Now I would never normally choose lunch time to sit down to such a fine dining experience in fact before we stepped in to the restaurant we had no idea just how special this little restaurant would be. Spoiled for choice I wanted to order the whole menu, but my wallet and stomach would not let me, instead me and my friend decided to order two different dishes and share them. The dishes were fresh, light but hearty at the same time with the most exquisite combination of flavours and even though we were both full after finishing them we could not say no to dessert, some poached peaches with hand made vegan ice cream and the most delicious chocolate torte with raspberry sorbet which I still can not quite believe could be vegan!Staff were attentive and chat, if it wasn't for the fact I had a plane to catch later that day I could have quite easily sat in there the rest of the afternoon with a cup of tea and perhaps another piece of that chocolate torte!

Pros: Unique flavours, Good portion size, Beautiful presentation

Finally Managed a Visit! - Edit

I have had Demuths on my 'to do' list for so long and was disappointed to hear it was no longer. However, once I discovered that in fact it was a takeover by the existing chef and a name change then I wasn't so upset! As we live a good few hours away, it has taken a while to actually manage a visit. We booked in to celebrate our wedding anniversary and the staff were extremely helpful despite the short notice! We both really enjoyed our starters - I had the white onion soup which was really delicious and my husband had the cashew and carrot pate which was also good. We were intrigued by the 'aged cashew puree' and as it wasn't actually in the dishes we chose they provided us with a little pot and some bread to try it. It was delicious. For mains we both had the smoked mushroom dish which we were a little disappointed with. It didn't taste smoked and needed something extra, such as some garlic, just to lift the flavour a little. For dessert we had the chocolate torte with the peanut butter sorbet which is amazing. Very rich and so you don't need a very large portion! The combined flavours though are really delicious. The service was smooth, but not rushed and the staff are friendly. We would definitely go back next time we are in the area.

Pros: Tasty vegan food, Friendly staff

Delicious dessert - Edit

We went for a two course evening meal at Acorn and had a wonderful experience. The service was attentive, but not stifling, and it had a nice, laidback atmosphere. I had a smoked portobello dish which was really tasty, though my partner was underwhelmed by the vegetarian option. The real highlight was the dessert - we had the salted chocolate tart with peanut butter sorbet, and it was amazing!

Delicious! - Edit

I have been here a couple of times, and I'm always completely spoilt for choice. The flavour combinations are often unusual sounding, but taste fantastic. I never struggle to decide on a dessert. The salted chocolate tart with peanut butter sorbet is to die for! The staff are friendly and there is a nice, relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: Creative food, Healthy, Good Service

Cons: Expensive

Recommended 'Fine Dining' Sunday Roast - Edit

We had the Sunday Roast, priced at £16.95, for 3 courses (menu available on the restaurant's website) The food was sophisticated, flavorful and beautifully presented. The dessert, a chocolate pot served with a side of peanut butter sorbet topped with carmelized peanuts was incredible! It was silky smooth, rich, but not overly heavy.

Book ahead to ensure that you can experience Acorn's Sunday Roast!

Pros: well prepared, tasty food, lovely ambiance, great service

Excellent food - Edit

I ate here on the evening of the May 2nd and was very impressed. There is quite a choice of vegan food. I had the smoked field mushrooms and the flavours mingled perfectly. For dessert I chose the Salted Chocolate Tart with peanut butter sorbet, a surprisingly great combination.

This is not a cheap restaurant but the price reflects its excellence in food an service.

Now, if only it was completely vegan...

Pros: Excellent, imaginative food, Friendly service, Good choice of vegan dishes

Cons: Not completely vegan

Wonderful food! - Edit

We had a wonderful dinner here in our trip to Bath. Even though it was bank holiday we managed to book a table the same day and everything was perfect. The staff was really nice and the food amazing, I really recommend this one.

Outstanding vegan gourmet cusine! - Edit

We celebrated our 6th anniversary in this cosy and cute little restaurant. Food was amazing, creatively delicious, new combinations of flavours for my palate that tastes duper delicious. Bravo to chef! A great interpretation of cauliflower served grilled and raw on a smooth and yummie cashew cream... I want more!!!

Delicious gourmet veg food - Edit

Most of the items on the menu are vegan. We had the parsnip soup and carrot/cashew pate to start. For main courses we had the pumpkin dish and cauliflower fritters. For dessert we had the poached pear and pineapple carpaccio. The starters and main courses were absolutely delicious. The desserts were good but not as good as the other food.

Note that reservations are required, especially on weekends.

Pros: high quality food, great service, plenty of vegan options

they know how food works ! - Edit

Amazing dishes.
The cashew and carrot pâté is breathtaking, and the pumpkin for main was the best dish I've ever had.

The only very weird thing is the the same dishes get more expensive in evening and even more in dinner.

It is pricy and if you come very hungry you may spend quite allot.

Pretty as a picture - Edit

Acorns is in a lovely old building near Bath Abbey.
The food is original, modern but most important of all tasty.
It is such a delight to be spoilt for choice.
I only wish I lived near enough to visit more often.

Pros: Excellent food, Good service, Characterful building

Cons: Not a very big place so best to book

Beautiful dishes - Edit

Menu items are pretty healthy, well-portioned, and extremely flavorful. There are a few vegan starters, mains, wines, and desserts offered. They also offer soya milk for hot drinks. The summer pea dish was fantastic and the coffee had a beautiful layer of crema-- prettiest I've ever seen.

Pros: Good vibe, Great food, Friendly staff

Return to Bath Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Acorn Vegetarian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6750 times since Sep 2013.