Acenar

210-637-9910

146 E Houston St, San Antonio, Texas, USA, 78205

Serves meat, vegan options available. Upscale atmosphere Mexican restaurant and bar on the Riverwalk. Vegan options include vegetable enchiladas (without the rice), chips, salsa and guacamole. Several entrees and salads can also be made vegan. Dairy-free sorbet for dessert. Kitchen manager will cook vegan dishes on a second production line upon request. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by elfmaiden713

Vegan: Don't expect much - Edit

I called ahead of time and asked about eating vegan here. I was told they had vegan options and that for the side of rice I would have to tell the chef to cook it in oil instead of butter. I did this. Food came out, rice for sure had butter in it. I was given a free appetizer and was assured that the chef was custom making a pre-existing appetizer to ensure it was vegan. Two bites in and I knew there was cheese in it. Non-veg friends agreed as well.

Please save yourself the troubles you will experience if you come here if you are vegan. This place is not vegan friendly like they claim to be. Further, the service was absolutely terrible. The waitress took an extremely long time to take our orders, bring us water, and forgot to bring tortillas for us on multiple occasions (they only bring you two at a time).

Pros: Nice view if you eat outside

Cons: Not vegan friendly, Terrible service , Overpriced food with small portions

Wicked cool - Edit

Delicious cocktails, salsa, and guac! Had the mushroom and squash fajita (helluva lot of food).

Vegan - Edit

I looked over the menu and all I could find to eat was the vegetarian enchiladas. They turned out to be delicious! The tomato sauce on top was great. Highly recommended.

Pros: Good service, Good food

acenar - Edit

Delicious vegan tacos. Great atmosphere. great food.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 02, 2015

Pros: fresh food, vegan options , Good service

Small but Tasty Portions - Edit

San Antonio's Riverwalk is sadly short on vegetarian options. Several of its Mexican restaurants offer vegetarian options, but Acenar seemed like the most interesting. Instead of just leaving the meat off of a burrito, Acenar had mushroom and calabacita tacos (easily veganized by omitting the queso fresco) and roasted vegetable enchiladas (no cheese inside, but the tomato sauce tasted creamy and could be subbed for some kind of salsa). My enchiladas were indeed yummy, though I wish they'd included another on the plate, and they gave me special vegetarian beans that weren't cooked away from the animal products. They also have some vegan appetizers, including the customizable guacamole and the free chips and smoky jalapeno salsa, as well as 2 dairy-free sorbet options--I got the mango and lime combination, which was topped with fresh melon pieces.

Acenar might not have many options for veg*ns, but what they do have is a step above the other Riverwalk options. Despite the small portion size, I'd definitely go back.

Pros: Great flavors, Imaginative options, Amazing cocktail menu

Cons: Kind of expensive

Return to San Antonio Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Acenar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.