Acacia House Inn

207-288-8122

6 High St (at downtown), Bar Harbor, Maine, USA, 04609

Serves meat, vegan options available. From November to May, this B&B is open to the public for brunch Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Vegan options include pancakes, tofu, and olive oil substitution upon request.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by NorthernStar

Great vegan breakfast! - Edit

We stayed at the B&B for two nights. The kitchen is very vegan-friendly. Two different preparations of tofu were offered (scramble or grilled slices) with the vegan special the first day (black beans, ranchero sauce, grilled polenta). They also had a vegan special the second day (Maine style ployes pancakes). Vegan pancakes made to order, granola, fresh fruit, oatmeal, homemade bread. were also options. The kitchen handles special requests well! They focus on local products from Maine and have their own chickens for eggs.. The rooms were very nice and it was a good location for exploring Acadia.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good variety of options

Charming, Green, Scrumptious = 5 Stars - Edit

I tried to list this wonderful establishment as a B&B but the Happy Cow staffed listed it as a veg-friendly restaurant. I guess because it is open to the public for brunch during the late fall-spring, but as a B&B I could have given it 5 stars, which it definitely deserves!

Breakfast is outstanding. Every day there are both vegetarian and vegan/gluten-free specials such as:
VEGETARIAN: Winter vegetable and Aroostook sharp cheddar tart served with two eggs any style and pickled mushroom salad; Whole grain crepes with cranberry jam and coffee custard
VEGAN: Grilled rounds of scallion polenta, savory lentils, caramelized onions, grilled tomatoes and avocado "hollandaise" served with winter greens salad; Parfait of fresh strawberries, maple-toasted oats, and sweet cashew cream

During our stay I had gourmet bubble & squeak with lemon-rosemary roasted asparagus, apples, and leeks. Scrumptious! This was the vegan special until I added poached eggs. Eggs come from the owners' own flock of free-running hens. My partner had the chocolate cheese pancakes with cherry sauce and blood orange butter, which was as incredible as it sounds. There is a cozy dining room with lots of windows, self-serve coffee, tea and fresh baked goods made in the kitchen that morning. We had mini cranberry chocolate chip scones, which, again, were melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

While I've been raving about the food, our room was very cozy and charming. The owners are such friendly, thoughtful people who genuinely care about the wellbeing of their guests, as well as the planet as a whole. The entire B&B is "green" with organic linens, natural toiletries and housekeeping products. Ingredients are sourced from a dozen local, organic farms (see photos for list provided). The Inn is also on a downtown side street (with off-street parking), so one can easily walk around Bar Harbor without a car.

If we lived closer we would be back often for winter weekend brunch. As it is, this will certainly be where we stay when we overnight on Mount Dessert Island in the future!

Pros: Amazing local food with great veg*n choices, Lovely, comfortable room; toxin-free cleaning , Great hospitality

Cons: Old door frames are not so sound proof, our room was right at the top of the stairs, 3rd floor rooms would probably be more private

Return to Bar Harbor Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Acacia House Inn closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.