Abyssinia Restaurant

707-568-6455

913 4th St, Santa Rosa, California, USA, 95401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian restaurant. The menu comprises around 1/2 vegetable-based dishes, i.e. spiced vegetables, lentils, potatoes. Has a vegetarian combo meal for two. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-2:00pm, 4:30pm-9:00pm, Sat 11:30am-3:00pm, 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Abyssinian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, African, Non-veg

First Review by calibug

Favorite! - Edit

Wish I could give it 5 Stars because this is one of the very best veg options in the area!

I do love this place, and not just because good options are lacking in the north bay. The food is tasty, really some of the best Ethiopian I've had, and the service has always been great. It's a little slow, but I don't mind that because I feel like meals shouldn't be rushed and I've never hounded them for anything so they may just follow my lead.

I've only ordered the vegetarian plate (vegan). And, it is all I need and then some. A good combo of flavors from spicy to mild with some greens and salad. Their Injera is super tasty and fresh. I could just live off of it.

If you haven't had Ethiopian, don't be afraid of it or this restaurant. They'll even bring you a fork, although the dishes are so much tastier mixed with the bread. The people here are newbie-friendly and you should just think of Ethiopian food as similar to Indian. The dishes are like Dal or Chana Masala, but with different spices and served with the most yummy sourdough thin bread/naan - ahem, well.. Injera.

The veg plate comes with 5 or 6 items, mostly the Wat (stews similar to a Dal with varying spices) and a little fresh salad and stewed greens.

The restaurant is casual and feels like a great mom and pop restaurant where the priority is making happy bellies. They also do food to-go if you are in a super hurry or want to eat in the square.

Pros: Great, predictable, and tasty food., Solid Vegan/vegetarian options are easy to order., Great service and fair prices.

Cons: Nothing! , Wish they'd open a date-night location too!

Best Ethiopian food I've ever had - Edit

This place was fantastic. About half of their menu items are vegan. The pricing was really fair too. We ordered the vegetarian combo which turned out to be the perfect amount of food for two hungry people. They also brought towels before and after the meal for cleaning your hands.

cozy and wonderful - Edit

Owner welcomed with big smile in cozy clean space. Two of us ordered vegan combo which we couldn't finish. Ethiopian beer and spice tea were delicious. Good price. Highly recommended for vegans.

So good! - Edit

Just went here with my family for my birthday. Totally awesome experience. It smelled great when we walked inside, the decor is pretty minimal but cute. Good music in the background.

The whole vegetarian menu is vegan, so there are a lot of options. We got the veggie combo + an order of the Tikel Gomen (my favorite, the potatoes and cabbage were off the hook) + the Miser We't + the veggie sambusa appetizer. Everything rocked.

I thought the price value was really great too, when I first looked at the menu I thought it looked a little on the expensive side, with $11ish vegan entrees. But the portions are huge! I eat SO MUCH FOOD (6'7", 220lb), and one of those entrees might actually be enough for me, I usually have to order a couple entrees at restaurants. And extra injeera is cheap and plentiful.

I wish I'd gone here years ago! The vegan food is definitely 5 stars for me. The ONLY reason I'm giving it 4 stars and not 5 is that they serve meat. There are no all-vegan Ethiopian places in the Bay Area that I know of though, so there's that.

Pros: Amazing food, Good value, big portions, Clean, quiet, nice ambience

Cons: Serves meat :(

Boy, Can Wodi Cook! - Edit

I called in my Takeout order to Wodi, the owner, on the phone. I like the way she asked me when I would arrive, "So it will be [cooked] fresh when you get here." I told her which parking lot I was leaving from and she quickly told me, "that's about 10 minutes" and she was right... even though my Garmin GPS told me 5 minutes. Yep, the locals always know...
I ordered the Vegetarian Combo for 2 which Wodi said was "$19.99 before tax." When I got there at about 11:15am, I put a dime in the parking meter for "6 minutes," snapped a couple of quick pictures and went inside. She had my order packed ready to go... and I gasped as I took a quick 360° around me... at the most adorable surroundings (Yes, more snapshots!)
Wodi has an amusing personality, maybe not for everyone, but I quite like her fastidious qualities. But, no matter because the food is quite delicious AND it is Vegetarian and some are Vegan too. So, pay her the money and eat the FOOD. It's so delicious!

Your experience starts with a great aroma - Edit

Just open the door and you are welcomed by the wonderful aroma which serves to turn on your appetite immediately. The vegetarian combo for two is a fine dish to introduce you to the restaurant's abyssinian food. The service at lunch today was excellent. The combo provides a salad and several deliciously seasoned vegetables all served on fresh injera. No dessert was needed with the dish being a perfect size for my wife and me.

The restaurant was newly painted with a rich, warm color. Somehow they managed to eliminate any paint odor to mess with your dining experience. The walls are decorated with ethnic art and photos. Most tables are for two and most of those were filled for this Thursday lunch.

Pros: exciting menu, wonderfully seasoned vegetables, quiet dining atmosphere

Cons: pay parking in the street in front

Return to Santa Rosa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Abyssinia Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.