Abbondanza Italian Restaurant

305-292-1199

1208 Simonton St, Key West, Florida, USA, 33040

Serves meat, vegan options available. Traditional Italian restaurant but servers will assist in modifying a pasta dish to suit. For example, you could ask for penne with extra vegetables in a tomato sauce instead of cream sauce. Otherwise limited choices for pure veg food in Key West, so when in old town and with omnivores, this could be a possibility. Open Mon-Sun 5:00pm-10:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Pizza, Italian, Non-veg

First Review by DiscoUnicorns

Bad service and not veg friendly - Edit

The server had a pained expression when I started asking questions about whether dishes contained egg or dairy. According to her, all the pasta contains egg. She said the only "special" pasta they have is gluten free. She was not helpful at all, and seemed annoyed when I asked for a modified dish. The menu did not designate vegetarian or vegan items. My beer never came out. When I asked she blamed it on someone else. They failed to serve all of our 4 dinner salads. When we brought it to the servers attention as our entrees were served, she offered to box up the salads for us --uh, no I don't think so, bring them now. Food was just okay. I would not recommend this place to anyone whether vegan or omnivore.

Cons: menu and servers not vegan friendly, bad service, their pasta is not vegan

greasy and bad tasting food - Edit

I went there since it was recommended on happy cow. My waitress totally was clueless what vegan means. But she didn't ask but kept pointing meatballs, fish and cheese items on the menu. Even after I said I don't eat anything with animals or what came from animals she still showed me few meat options. So I asked someone else and they ordered pasta with veggies in olive oil. I asked for light oil but food was still very greasy. Portion was huge for someone who likes to eat a lot sizing is perfect.
I would not recommend this place for vegans. This was the only thing they had that they could offer me.

Very Accommodating - Edit

I actually sent the original request to Happy Cow to add this location and then forgot to write a review. Eeek!

I write this as the only Veg in my family. I am often traveling with my inlaws who are very heavy meat eaters. Key West is one of the LEAST veg-friendly cities I have ever visited. I can typically modify any dish to suit my needs, but Key West has many restaurants that have NOTHING I can modify. But i guess that is a whole other story.

I was very happy with my trip to Abbondanza. I told the server I was vegan and she didnt miss a beat. She immediately told me which sauce was vegan and proceeded to explain how she could build a veggie / pasta dish for me. I was not disappointed. My dish was PACKED with all kinds of vegggies in a robust red sauce over pasta. It was DELICIOUS!

While not a veg restaurant, this is a very accommodating option when traveling to Key West with your meat eating family.

Pros: Accommodating, Dish packed with veggies, Helpful staff

Cons: Primarily a meat-based restaurant

Return to Key West Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Abbondanza Italian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.