Abbey Cafe and Gallery

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves many vegetarian items plus sweets, soups, ciders and beers, locally roasted coffee. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-9:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Western, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by rlenton

Delicious food, lots of vegan choices - Edit

This was a find, I was spoilt for vegan options and they all sounded delicious. I chose the soup and black bean burrito and it was perfect. Just sorry we don’t live closer, I’d be a regular!

Pros: Choice, Taste, Friendly staff

Cons: I don’t live nearer!!

Groovy and good! - Edit

Vegan caeser salad was sooooo good. We alsonhad the sweet potato burrito, asian rice bowl and the soup of the day. Amazing coffee and excited to see all the dessert was vegan! Vibe and atmosphere was super hip.

Pros: Lots of choices, Cool atmosphere, Kombucha options!!!

Cons: Sweet potatoes were a little cold.

Cold Bowls and Cider - Edit

The Abbey Cafe is very close to my work, so I pop in to grab coffee quite a lot. Their coffee is pretty good- they use locally roasted beans, and can make a few speciality drinks. They don't, however, have ice. Yeah, really. No ice in the place, so they can't make you a chilled coffee drink. I imagine they'll probably rethink this choice, because Fredericton is a pretty hot little town, and iced coffee is delicious. Another thing they don't have? WIFI! At a cafe... not ideal. What if I want to linger and sip?

The decor at the Abbey is beautiful- they have a sort of arty-shabby-chic decor with wooden furniture and handmade light fixtures. There's also local artwork available for purchase on the walls.
If you're bringing anybody elderly or with mobility problems, the seating can be limited with only about 6-8 available tables in the upstairs portion of the place. If you can go down the steep stairs- there's more seating down there.

The food at The Abbey is hit or miss, for me. Every time I go in, I find that my meal is completely different from the last time I ordered it. This may just be due to the fact that it's a fairly new place- but it can be frustrating for me when I had extra salsa last time, and nearly none this time.

Baked goods at The Abbey are vegan and there are a few gluten-free options. The brownie is a must-try (the square one, not the muffin-looking one), but I probably wouldn't order their coconut-date energy balls again.
Sometimes the rice is under cooked, and if you order a salad, get the dressing on the side because they're pretty generous and it can ruin the taste of the veggies.
The staff are hit or miss, as well. I think they're well-meaning and helpful if you catch them on a good day, but sometimes they're a bit snippy and impatient when you've got questions about ingredients (as so many Vegan/Veg patrons will).

Negatives aside- They Abbey does have a good amount of Vegan and Vegetarian options. In fact, every dish on their menu can be made to cater to a vegan or vegetarian palate. They also offer gluten free- which can be a struggle for many people.

I ALMOST FORGOT- the Cider! Red Rover Cider is also housed in this location. If you like Cider- this is definitely a selling feature. You can fill your growler/flagon, or sit and sip while you eat. GREAT cider, and very helpful staff at the Red Rover counter.

Definitely TRY the Abbey.

Pros: Lots of Vegan Options, Beautiful Decor and Atmosphere, Pricing is Reasonable

Cons: No Wifi, Staff sometimes impatient, Inconsistent Food

Delicious addition to our city - Edit

The treats are amazing and their food is delicious. There is a great staff there with great service.
It would be nice if they had a few more features being one of the only vegan restaurant in town. This would allow people that go very often to get a few different things. Some things have goat cheese and they could easily substitute with vegan artisan cheese (there's even a vegan company locally that makes vegan cheese and deli) to allow a similar taste to some of the dishes for vegans. It's overall a great spot! The only reason I'd suggest more variety/features is because I go so often.

Pros: Clearly marked vegan items, Very good

Cons: Menu stays the same

Wow! - Edit

After a great meal at Isaac’s Way, our server recommended trying Abbey Café and Gallery, which has the same owners. Long story short, after trying lunch at Abbey we returned the next day for supper! Whether you are a vegan, vegetarian, or just looking for a healthy meal, Abbey Café is the place. A clean, trendy atmosphere with a great staff added to the experience of super healthy and tasty food. We will be back again and again.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Staff, Warm Atmosphere

Return to Fredericton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Abbey Cafe and Gallery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.