CLOSED: Abay Ethiopian Cuisine

Contact 412-661-9736

130 S Highland Ave (at Centre), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, 15206

Serves meat, vegan options available. Some vegetarian options on the menu. CONFIRMED SHUT IN JUNE 2013 PER ITS FACEBOOK.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Take-out, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by jena

Fabulous place to sample several dishes - Edit

Abay was my very first official restaurant visit after becoming vegan. I was thrilled with the many vegetarian and vegan dishes, and of course those that could also be modified.

In line with traditional Ethiopian dining, most dishes are shared with your table. Even with a party of two, we were able to choose 4 different 'entrees' and have just the right portion size.

We've been back twice since and plan to make it a regular stop!

Pros: Variety, Ethnic atmosphere, BYOB

Cons: small - seating may be difficult at peak

Very helpful staff, interesting dining experience - Edit

Abay is Pittsburgh's only Ethiopian restaurant. It has a very interesting atmosphere and is a lot of fun. The staff was very helpful in suggesting the best options for the vegetarian sampler platter. All of the food was interesting and delicious. Leftovers did not heat up well.

Pros: Many vegetarian options, Helpful Staff, Fun atmosphere

Cons: A bit expensive

yuck - Edit

I have been to many ethiopian restaurants and LOVE the cuisine. while they do have an extensive vegan menu, the combo platter only allows for 4 dishes. 3 of the 4 dishes we ordered were unbearably salty. They were all essentially flavorless and bland. After attempting to eat this food, I finally gave up when I got sick to my stomach. I would not go here ever again.

on a side note, the service was good.

Return to Pittsburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Abay Ethiopian Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 239 times since Aug 2007.