CLOSED: Aardvark Kafe

Contact 814-238-2400

906 W College Ave, State College, Pennsylvania, USA, 16801

Serves meat, vegan options available. Family run business. Separate work station and equipment for vegan food. Vegan menu with many options. MAY 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Mon 11:00am-2:00pm, Tue-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat 1:00pm-8:00pm closed Sunday

Category: Vegan-friendly, Non-veg

First Review by Dveg

Different! - Edit

The cafe itself is very strange: back off the road, small sign, kooky seating arrangement/antiques inside. The food, however, was worth the stop. I had the Hummus Platter and the Buffalo Black, both of which were freshly made and featured large portions. The pita bread was particularly good! The Buffalo Black was a little too spicy, but otherwise tasty. I was also super impressed that they had a full vegan menu!

Pros: variety, price

Cons: atmosphere

Good and getting better - Edit

The Aardvark has good simple vegan food. The older complaints about the cook are dated since the current manager is friendly and eager to accommodate. The food is tasty and different from the multitude of Asian food in the area.
I go there several times a month and always have a good meal. Yes there is some inconsistency, but I expect that in any non-franchise operation. New favorite -- the single black sandwich and salad.

Can't Justify Returning - Edit

This restaurant is ~~still~~ trying to find its groove so I wouldn't have rated it at all initially if it weren't for all of the reviews solicited (via Facebook) by the owner to help balance one person's negative experience.

Unfortunately I have, as of September 2012, had some really lousy food at this place as well as more inconsistent advertising, business practices and customer service. Touting a it as a "vegan restaurant" as has done some places is really misleading. It's kind of like calling yourself a "vegan chef" because you have been vegan for a year and decide to take over an old Original Italian Pizza location with no formal training as even a line cook or sous chef.

Over-sized portions of gross, undercooked food with missing (then advertised on one menu) ingredients (crunchy raw onions, anemic slices of tomato and no vegan mozzarella in the 20 long Veggie Calzone that was so soggy that the bottom fell off when I tried to cut a human sized portion) is not what I want to spend $20 on. That includes the tip to the non-vegan cook. As of mid September 2012, this item was taken off the menu, as was the original statement on the menu "everything on this menu is 100% vegan - prepared by a vegan - at 100% vegan workstations" was modified.

Do note, many of the photos are currently no longer helpful as they have decided to no longer offer fries.

Opened February, 2012, the place is taking a long time settling in. I love the idea but if I want an OIP style veggie sub, I'll go to the one near Luna2 and tell them to hold the cheese. I can't see ever wanting to go back. Full review here: http://wp.me/p1GQWj-1JS

Pros: abundant vegan selections, enthusiasm for veganism

Cons: misleading & defensive owner, poor business practices, lack of training shows

aardvarkkafe 6-8 weeks before this individual came into the restaurant, the menu was updated and the vegan gourmet mozzarella cheese was taken off the menu and replaced with nutritional yeast and pizza sauce. There were no missing ingredients from the menu during their visit. Vegan calzones have been removed from the menu since there was evidently a consistency issue with them when I am not at the kafe. We ask that if you have an issue with your food, that you let us know right away and we will do everything we can, within reason, to fix the problem.

At the time this individual dined here, the menu stated that "everything on my vegan menu is 100% vegan, prepared by a vegan, at 100% vegan workstations". The menu now states that everything is "created by a vegan" instead of "prepared" by a vegan. Generally if the open sign is on, I'm there working but I do need some time off here and there which I'm sure you can understand. I was away on vacation the week they came in and even posted that on the kafe's Facebook page. Even when I am here (the vegan), it is absolutely impossible for me to prepare every single vegan order that comes in by myself. My staff and I work together as a team on almost every order and it has been like this since we took over the restaurant. Everyone here at the aardvark kafe, no matter what their diet is, respects my policies in regard to cross contamination when preparing vegan orders, whether I am here or not.

My stepfather Les is pescetarian and is married to my mother, who is vegan. I assure you all that he respects the vegan lifestyle/diet and the strict preparation policies I've have here at the aardvark.

Yummy - Edit

Great to find a 100% vegan menu in State College! I ordered the back burger and the Mick Mick Mick and both were awesome! My favorite has to be the Mick Mick Mick though... Service was very nice, the chef had a little nice chat with us as well. Will defenetly go back, love the big offer of healty vegan food!

Pros: Healthy , Tasty, Friendly

Good food - Edit

I got the Merrick here. It was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. The fries were well flavored although I wish they were crisper. Service was friendly and I enjoyed our conversation. My only complaint is that the ice machine was out at the time. Hopefully, this will get fixed soon.

On a side note, I wonder how much of their business is vegan. It seems like they are well loved among the local veg community.

Fantastic Food For All! - Edit

We have been to the Aardvark several times, and it has quickly become our favorite restaurant in State College. There are fantastic vegan choices, as well as an entire menu for non-vegs. Everyone can eat together even if they eat differently, and this really sets the Aardvark apart from most restaurants. We have enjoyed several menu items, but the Mick Mick Mick and the Merrick are our hands-down favs. Brandon, the chef, is a really great guy that we have had the pleasure to interact with almost every time we've visited. He is passionate and creative, and we are so glad the Aardvark is here. We wish it continued success and hope everyone gives it a try- You won't be disappointed!

Pros: Vegan options, Flexible menu, Excellent food

Great diner food - Edit

The Aardvark Kafe is a family owned restaurant that serves great diner food for vegans and non-vegans alike. Pizza, subs, cheese steaks, plus a 2 page vegan menu. A great place to meet your non-vegan friends because they can eat well too. For vegans, this is a little bit of paradise. A break from the Asian choices in the area. My favorite is the bean buger and tofu bites. This is a start-up operation that is still growing. The owners are friendly and very accommodating.

Pros: Large selection, Friendly, Different

Cons: Sometimes a little slow, The decor

Goddess-send for Vegans in State College - Edit

After living here for nearly 3 years and lamenting the dearth of vegan restaurant options I was delighted to run across this newcomer on HappyCow. The food was delightful! The food was well-seasoned, something I often find lacking in vegan cuisine. The chef was very friendly and extra concerned about my food allergies, which helped put me at ease. The atmosphere is pleasantly casual and I really enjoyed the music (no soft-rock, muzak, or disco crap). We hope to go back soon!

Pros: excellent 100% vegan and nut-free food, friendly vegan chef, eco-conscious

Cons: smallish menu

LOVE Aardvark Kafe'! - Edit

We're so happy to have found Aardvark!

As new vegans (or mostly vegans, though the chef would call us vegetarians ;) my husband and I have found a new "home" for date night, or any night out with friends or family. Brandon, the chef, is beyond accommodating in creatively customizing menu items for those of us who are picky about our veggies, and always makes time to really get to know his customers. The food is delicious - every week I have a new "favorite" item, I can hardly choose what to order anymore! Plus, it is great that while there is a dedicated vegan menu, the restaurant offers non-vegan items as well. There truly is something for everyone.

Stop in and give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Healthy

Vegan Haven - Edit

I have eaten at Aardvark Kafe several times. Each time the food has been delicious and the chef has made a point to really engage with his customers and make their dining experience memorable and delicious! It is so wonderful to have a restaurant in town where there are so many delicious, thoughtfully prepared vegan menu items to choose from. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, creative menu

Amazing Vegan Food - Kid Friendly - Edit

I am a very frequent customer of this restaurant and highly recommend it to all!! I eat there at least once a week alone and I go once a week with my sons (5 & 7) neither of whom are vegan and we have a great time!! The staff is very accommodating to my family and is always so much fun. The chef is always coming up with new & exciting vegan dishes and I appreciate his modern take on vegan cuisine! If you like good food, great conversation and no pretense, this is the place for you!!!

bad experience - Edit

The workers at this place are rude and unwelcoming. I found this place to be very unfriendly especially with having a small child. It was much better when it was just an OIP pizza place. I was unaware that it changed management . When I got there with my 2 year old he was hungry and fussy. I tried to calm him down by letting him watch clips of elmo on you tube on my phone until our food was ready. I was rudely asked by the worker to turn it off even though there were no other customers in the restaurant. It was no louder than what a normal conversation would be. hey if they would rather hear him scream and cry that's fine with me. I'm use to it, I'm his mom. I was just trying to calm him down for the sake of others. I will never return there again

2 Responses

I keep going back! - Edit

Been there at least four times and I'm very happy with the food! Although the restaurant is not vegan, the chef is AND there is a VEGAN MENU! The variety rocks (stuffed shells, chickpea burger, great fries, salad, fresh spring roll...and of course pizza). My last visit was blessed with a banana peanut butter shake (my son described this as "perfect"!), which will be an even greater treat this summer!
Located on the edge of downtown and FREE parking! Bring your water bottle or buy a drink there.
Our family and friends are all appreciating Aardvark's veggie options! Thanks!

Pros: Variety of great food!, Meal for $10, Vegan chef!

Cons: free tap water not offered, slightly hidden location

Return to State College Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Aardvark Kafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3468 times since Feb 2012.