Contact 96894175

559 Barkly Street (at West Footscray), Footscray, Victoria,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Slightly fancy Indian food restaurant vegan choices including dhal, eggplant curry, potato curry, samosas, and onion bhajis. Has gluten free.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Non-veg

First Review by moodfornoodles

Bit of a disappointment - Edit

Having eaten several times here as a vegetarian and loving the food, I decided to give it a try again now vegan.
Upon sitting I spoke to the waitress explaining I was vegan and asked what dishes would be OK for me to eat. She showed me two options on the entrees (onion Bhaji and vegetable pakora), and two mains An eggplant dish as well as a tandoori vegetable dish. I asked if either of the dishes had any cheese of butter and she assured me they didn't. I ordered the onion Bhaji which were delicious and the two mains suggested to me. The eggplant dish was fantastic and my favourite dish, the other dish contained cheese which was disappointing but my husband who is vegetarian ate it anyway. I also ordered a mango punch mocktail expecting a soda based fruit drink only to receive a yoghurt based mango lassi drink. I hadn't thought to ask if the drink contained milk so definitely double or triple check everything when ordering.

Cons: Staff have little understanding of vegan options

Little India's jewel - Edit

Aangan is located in the little india segment of West Footscray. It consistently good, the service is lovely and vegan options happily offered.
We have been there for an occasion, and also on random other occasions. They cater for omnis equally as well - there are no complaints.
Just make sure you make a booking - they do get very busy.

Pros: consistent

Cons: omni restaurant - so be clear on vegan

Good enough food, very busy... - Edit

I was looking for a place I hadn't been in Footscray and had glanced the name of this place on the web, and sure enough saw it on the Happy Cow site. My partner and I turned up without bookings on a Saturday evening and the place was very busy, but after a few minutes they were able to offer us a table for a limited time (40 minutes). This suited us, so we accepted. We asked if there were vegan options and the floor manager confirmed this. As we sat down, complimentary poppadums and dips were placed on the table, including a yoghurt-mint sauce. Being vegan, I mentioned to the person serving us that we wouldn't need this and she removed it. When she took our orders, we asked about vegan options and, being a little uncertain, she went to check this. We were then informed there were about two starters and five mains (out of 20 to 30) that were suitable. This made the choice simple (and we wanted to head somewhere quite soon). The food came promptly and each dish was good, but not exceptional. For pakoras, large steamed rice, Palak Mushroom and an Aloo dish we paid just over $40.

Pros: Prompt service

Cons: Not a huge number of vegan options, Very busy/crowded

Return to Footscray Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aangan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 948 times since Jul 2013.