Aalto Bistro

The Nordic House, Sæmundargata 11, Reykjavik, Iceland, 101

Serves meat, vegan options available. Seasonal menu with a vegan course of the day and a pumpkin burger. Open Mon-Tue 11:30am-5:00pm, Wed 10:30am-9:30pm, Thu-Sat 11:30am-9:30pm, Sun 11:30am-5:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, European, Icelandic, Non-veg

First Review by MacGuru96

Deeee-licious!!! - Edit

We went here to try to see the northern lights as it was a clear night and has views of the sky from the windows... it's a bit of a walk from the centre; it takes about 15 minutes from the church but it was well worth it!!!

We arrived to a quiet restaurant, waited a little while for our food (...well wort the wait, and we were kept happy with nice breads and oil and salt to dip...) and when it came... my goodness!!! I had the pumpkin, this was the most delicious meal I've had in Iceland so far and I've eaten at Vinyl, glo, the laundromat and the street food Indian down the road from Vinyl.. vinyl and the Indian were nice were nice but not delicious like this was. It was beautifully presented with kale crisps, roasted vegetables and salad, I eat well and I haven't had a meal as tasty as this in a long time.

Whilst the reflection on the glass reduced the view of the sky from the windows I was really glad to have eaten here; the food was delicious and the walk home well needed. I'd come back fo sho!!

p.s. I can only give this 4/5 as apparently happy cow only gives max 4 stars for non-veg restaurants.

p.p.s. I believe they're doing a new menu soon with more vegan options so watch this space!! ...

Great Food, Beautiful View - Edit

The daily vegan special wasn't cheap, but it was delicious! It changes daily, so you never know what to expect. Just know whatever it will be is very well prepared. The chef/owner is meticulous about his ingredients and happy to answer any questions. The atmosphere is casual, but the view gets 3 stars in my book. We enjoyed our lunch very much.

Pros: Delicious food, Beautiful view, Helpful, cheerful wait staff

Cons: Expensive, A long walk from the city

Það var dásamlegt! - Edit

After taking a delightfuy quiet, peaceful and sun-free stroll around Tjörnin (Reykjavík's answer to the Stanley Park Seawall), I followed the pathways across the road and into the beautiful University of Iceland grounds, dotted with many types of happy birds, visited one of the buildings I could potentially study at, and almost accidentally interrupted what I gathered to be a Mothers' Day parade.

After further perusing my future university, I walked back toward Iceland's Norræna Húsið (Nordic House), where a bistro is located, and was pleasantly surprised to see a bounty of incredible-sounding vegan options on the menu. Naturally, I decided to eat there, and I could not have made a more excellent decision.

From the very start, the staff were fantastically helpful. They patiently translated the day's offerings into English for me, quickly replaced the (amazing) bread's butter with oil, herbs and salt, brought me the most beautiful main course and even told me how to say the phrase with which I shall sum up my experience there:

Það var dásamlegt.
(That was wonderful)

Pros: Clearly-marked vegan options, w/ one being changed, Friendly, helpful staff, Beautiful location and ambiance

Cons: Quite pricey, but this is to be expected in Icelan

Return to Reykjavik Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aalto Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.