A Thing for Chocolate

613-695-3533

1262 Wellington St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 3A5

Serves meat, vegan options available. Creperie and coffee shop. Has separate vegan menu with savory crepes, sweet crepes, and drinks. Includes: chocolate hazelnut crepes, vegan cheese steak crepes, hot chocolate. Open Tue-Wed 10:00am-8:00pm, Thu 10:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 9:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-6:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, French, Non-veg

First Review by HereHere

Contributions +218

we could give up chocolate but we're not quitters - Edit

It was very good the best crêpes ever. Recommended for any vegan Canadians or travellers who like crêpes,extremely generous,helpful,knowledgable chocolatier/chef.

Pros: separate vegan menu with 5 savoury & 7 sweet crepe, a wide selection of vegan chocolates available , buckwheat based crepes - delicious

great vegan options - Edit

Small cafe/creperie that is very accommodating for vegans. There's about 4 or 5 vegan savoury crepes and the same number of sweet crepes that can be veganized (the savoury ones are in a separate section and the sweet ones that can be made vegan have a V in brackets beside them and are an extra $2). I had the Philly Cheesesteak crepe and Au Sucre one for dessert, next time I would probably get the dessert crepe with the homemade vegan Nutella. They can also do vegan specialty coffees and hot chocolates!

A really nice place to go for brunch, and open weekday mornings which works better for my schedule than just weekends.

Pros: very vegan friendly, friendly service

Cons: limited seating available

Yummy! - Edit

I dropped in late on a Friday night (only open until 8 and we got there a bit after 7). Great vegan quotes on the walls (nicely framed). The menu is undergoing changes, but the vegan options hadn't been listed. I tried the savoury mushroom spinach on a buckwheat crepe (all the vegan options at this time are on buckwheat, and possibly all crepes are the traditional buckwheat recipe). I asked for it without the daiya cheese, because although it is tasty, I'm not a fan of it, so the owner substituted a small amount of oil and balsamic vinegar. It was a delightful crepe, I was very pleased. The next crepe I tasted (since I shared with a friend) was the thyme and tomatoe. It was tasty, but I found the thyme mixture (zatar for anyone who is familiar with it) a little too intense for my ideal. But, I was delighted with the house special crepe with the vegan chocolate sauce. Blackberries, strawberries, bananas with ample chocolate sauce. I was also very happy to find a great vegan hot chocolate - made with choice of almond or soy. Two thumbs up, I will be back very, very soon!
The bill for the two of us was about $40 including tip. And we stayed until at least 8:30pm (a full half-hour after closing time, and there were a few other stragglers there also). There was no pressure to get us out the door fast. The service was nice, the people kind. They have vegan chick'n if you want any dish done with chick'n instead of chicken, and the restaurant is shortly going to change his pesto to be vegan!

Pros: great vegan hot chocolate, traditional buckwheat crepes, service/price/quality are great value

Cons: thyme crepe was flavor intense

Return to Ottawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has A Thing for Chocolate closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.