A Taste of Burma

• ( 8 reviews )

126 Edds Ln, Sterling, Virginia, USA, 20165

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu includes a vegetarian section with around 9 vegetable- and tofu-based entrees; a few appetizers, salads, and desserts are vegan suitable. Open Tue-Thu 11:00am-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Beer/Wine, Delivery, Burmese, Non-veg

First Review by johns2am

Madisonian

Points +123

30 Oct 2021

Different, Delicious Veg Options

We were impressed with both the variety of vegan options and the quality of the food. We particularly recommend the tamarind vegetable curry and tofu with pickled mustard greens entrees. We also really enjoyed the fried Burmese tofu appetizer.

Pros: Flavorful and delicious , Wide variety of vegan options

Cons: Entrees are a bit pricey

Middletooth

Points +28

25 Jun 2021

Would give 5 stars if I could

Great food options. Conscientious owner and it’s obvious that she cares.

MissJenny

Points +92

02 Jul 2019

Delicious food!

We visited this place over the weekend and were very impressed. We ordered the samosas, green curry, tamarind curry, and tapioca pudding, and everything was fresh and flavorful. Highly recommend!

Pros: Great vegan options. , Staff knowledgeable about veganism. , Delicious food and great service.

QueenNala

Points +16

03 Jun 2019

Superb service and food

Had the Singapore noodles with tofu and it was delicious. The owner was knowledgeable about veganism, and made me a vegan Burmese iced tea on the house.

ChantillyVegan13

Points +20

09 Nov 2017

Excellent Vegan Options

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Northern Virginia. I've had just about everything from the vegetarian section of their menu, and my favorites are definitely the Asian Pumpkin Curry and the Tofu with Pickled Mustard Greens. They also make a spectacular fried tofu appetizer, for which the tofu is made in-house out of chickpeas (rather than the more traditional soybean tofu).

There are a couple downsides, namely that I find it to be slightly overpriced and that service can often be slow. It's 100% worth the wait, however; I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys East or Southeast Asian food.

Pros: Flavor, Flavor, Flavor and lots of vegan/vegetarian options

Cons: Longer than normal wait for food, Prices are a little high

Plant Powered Eater

Points +353

23 Jul 2017

Excellent Dinner!

We visited here while visiting area because the menu had a page devoted to vegetarian dishes & reviews said most were vegan. Our server clearly did not understand vegan, even after our repeated attempts to explain! He claimed the restaurant was unable to prepare anything vegan. Based on reviews we'd read, we sent him to talk with the chef, & he returned to report that everything on the vegetarian menu except one item was vegan.

We had a delicious vegetarian summer roll with peanut sauce as a starter. Then, as a main course, I had the Asian Pumpkin Curry & my husband had Monsoon Sambar, made with yellow split peas & vegetables. We'd never had Burmese food before & were somewhat surprised to find that both dishes were akin to a main-dish soup or stew. While we were eating, the chef came out to chat & make sure our food was suitable. She had a clear understanding of vegan & suggested other options that could be veganized upon request.

Serving sizes were a little on the small side, but we were plenty full & the food stuck with us!

Sadly, there were no vegan desserts (although-beware-the server encouraged us to have several different dairy-based desserts).

In a nutshell, the food is great, but probe carefully & don't trust the server if the info doesn't seem right. We'd return again if we're in the area & will be interested to try Burmese food again if we have a chance.

Pros: Numerous vegan options., Excellent food flavor

Cons: Repeated misinformation from server-over & over

Alysoun Mahoney

Points +672

29 Aug 2015

Outstanding food - Just be patient with service!

I've eaten here twice with my vegan family, and between us I think we've tried most of the vegan dishes on the menu. Each dish - including Green Curry Vegetables, Asian Pumpkin Curry, and Tofu Pickled Mustard Green - has been super fresh, with complex, well-balanced flavors. Service was slow both times - no matter how full the restaurant was - giving the impression that the chef started making each dish from scratch when a customer ordered. This is one of the few Burmese restaurants in the greater Washington DC area, which makes it extra special. It's more expensive than nearby restaurants with similar cuisines like Thai or Indian, but the food quality is worth it.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 05, 2015

Pros: One of few DC area Burmese restaurants, Exquisite food

Cons: Slow service, A bit pricey

johns2am

Points +13

Vegetarian
18 Aug 2015

Hidden gem - tons of unique and delicious options!

Outstanding for Vegans, Vegetarians and non-Veg alike!

Know that you can't give non-Veg restaurants more than 4 cows on this site... but this place is definitely of 5 cow caliber.

The Tamarind Curry, Asian Pumpkin Curry and Yellow Split Pea dishes are great. And the samosas there, a little different than the standard Indian fare, are a must order!

Taste of Burma is the best.

Return to Sterling Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has A Taste of Burma closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.