A N D Cafe

503-233-4550

5420 E Burnside St, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97215

Following up on their previous successful venture, Off the Griddle food truck, the owners, Ashley and Dan, opened this breakfast and lunch diner in Nov 2011. Offers classic American comfort foods in vegan and vegetarian versions, with items like vegan mac & chz, waffles with fruit, biscuit sandwich, veg meatloaf sandwich, biscuits and gravy, plus daily vegan specials. Non-dairy milks provided for coffee drinks. Open Mon 9:00am-3:00pm, Wed-Fri 9:00am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by greenvegan

Sill the BEST... - Edit

I've been living in Portland, almost 2 years & I've been hunting for a better brunch place & I CANNOT FIND ONE! They have innovative specials & delicious menu regular options. This is a MUST VISIT!

Pros: Delicious options, Great specials

Cons: they close too early, they don't deliver to my house, I can't have them become my personal cooks (4free)

My favorite spot for breakfast/brunch - Edit

Always delicious, but usually a waiting list to get in (this means it's worth it!) They provide free coffee and water for people waiting outside, it usually doesn't take too long.

The food is incredible. The only non-vegan items they offer are cheddar cheese, eggs, and dairy milk, but the menu besides that is entirely vegan. Highly recommend.

Pros: food, friendly staff

Cons: wait list, small-ish restaurant

Wow! This little spot is a gem! - Edit

My hubby and I stopped in on a Saturday at 11:30am for a late breakfast. On a cool February day, we were a little put off by the wait list. We decided to stick it out, and had to wait about 15 mins for a table. We were surprised by the selection on the menu! There's a lot of creativity with this kitchen. There's both savory and sweet waffles, creative bowls, sandwiches, and other breakfast fare. We went for the "hot nests" which are hash brown potatoes in a nest shape that are covered with an assortment of veggies, and the "hashtastic" which was a butternut squash and veggie combination. We added the jackfruit bacon and herb tofu to the hastastic to create a divine combination of flavors. Don't be fooled by the portion size. After eating all that was on our plates, we were both STUFFED! We loved this cafe and are putting it high on our Portland favorites list!

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-19

Pros: Extremely flavorable, Very filling portions, Creative menu options

Cons: Small dining area, Short wait for table seating

one of the best vegan brunch spots in the world - Edit

End of review, not much else is needed, I've never had a bad meal here, and their specials always take it to the next level. Wish they would bring back the burger food cart too.

Okay, nothing special - Edit

Everyone we dealt with here was very nice, but the food was just so-so. The hashbrown "nests" were just shredded potatoes likely baked in a muffin tin, and they were hard to eat. They were chewy and tasted stale, but I've tried baking hash browns before and since they turned out just like these, I think these were fresh-made, just cooked poorly.

The rest of the food (biscuits and gravy and seasoned tofu) tasted okay, but my roommate agreed everything tasted kind of sweet. It wasn't really a savory, filling breakfast, which is was we thought we were ordering.

Pros: Free coffee outside for people waiting, Very nice and attentive staff

Cons: Cramped seating, Disappointing food

Vegan brunch done well - Edit

Delicious vegan brunch! The Super Vegano Burrito was excellent, good hot & cold. Since it is so filling, I saved a third of it for breakfast the next day and it was just as good. Imagine a whole wheat burrito wrapping a moist filling of pepper kale tofu, sausage, hash browns, mozarella, avocado, & cashew cream drizzled with cashew cream sauce. The kale, red cabbage, carrot side salad with citrus dressing was a fitting accompaniment as a side. My non vegan dining companion opted for the Veggies in a mess; greens, tomato, avocado on a biscuit with vegan option of herbed tofu or vegetarian option of two poached eggs, which she chose & enjoyed. Fruit plat we ordered for my toddler grandson was beautifully presented, cut into pieces that fit well into his hands - good finger food.
Friendly, knowledgeable service. Small location so we had a slight wait for seating, & food service since everything is freshly prepared. We were there on a Friday. Small parking lot to the side, and plenty of street parking out front. Affordable prices, ample portions. Rated a four since Not 100% vegan, though, since offers eggs and some animal-milk cheeses. All dishes can be made vegan.

Pros: Tasty dishes, mostly vegan or can be made vegan, Ample portions, affordable prices, Friendly, knowledgeable staff

Cons: Not 100% vegan, Small, so might be a wait for seating

great place! - Edit

great food and service! quaint and delicious. good price!

Pros: the food is delicious! I had the poutine hash and

Cons: small, so expect to wait on the wknd. if you have

Lots of Awesome Vegan Comfort Food - Edit

We had the Biscuits and Gravy and the Tofu Holindaze Eggs with hash browns. Both vegan and amazing! As well had a Bloody Mary all vegan too and the coffee is great! Would recommend anyone around the area to get here. Loved it!!! :-D

Everything on the menu except 4 things are vegan and there is lots of parking.

Good brunch - Edit

I met up with an old friend here for brunch. Most of the menu is vegan or can be made vegan, which is nice. I was worried about having to wait a long time, since I heard from friends (and seen on Portlandia) the challenges of getting a brunch table in Portland. But my fears turned out to be misplaced, as we were seated pretty soon after arriving.

I had the Feast Waffle, which was a savory waffle covered with gravy. It was pretty good, but not exceptional; I've made similar gravies at home before, so next time I would probably opt for something more unusual.

That said, I had a good experience here. The staff was nice and attentive, and the prices were affordable.

Pros: Nice staff, Affordable

excellent vegan comfort food! - Edit

the best waffles, sandwiches and inventive specials in town! amazingly delicious. fast, friendly service in a cute restaurant with local artwork.

Pros: amazing food, affordable , fast service

Decent Brunch - Edit

We came for brunch around noon on a Saturday. The wait was quick, about 20 minutes? Our waiter was ok, he seemed pretty annoyed to be seating us and getting us drinks, but once we were ordering he was great. It was so strange. My husband got the feast waffle, which is a savory waffle topped with tofu scramble and gravy. He really enjoyed it! I got the garden grilled cheese which was yummy with the avocado and spinach on it. I loved the flavor of the herb casher ricotta too. I'm giving it four stars because the food took FOREVER. Almost an hour from the time we ordered. It was a busy time, but the place is small, there aren't that many tables and nothing was said to us. A little "Sorry guys, the kitchen is backed up, we'll have everything out as soon as we can" goes a long way.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 01, 2015

Pros: vegan options, savory waffles

Cons: wait for food, waiter

Very, very good. - Edit

Very good, high quality food. Their waffles are awesome. Had a side of their vegan sausage, it was the best I've had. I'm very satisfied with the experience.

Pros: Everything starts vegan, but they have Tillamook , Worth the trip.

Cons: Slightly expensive, but comparable with other veg

Waffles!!!! - Edit

Love their brunch items here. At one point we had tried all the menu items, then they changed some up so we had more to try. The waffles are amazing, GF too. We used to make a weekly visit on Sunday mornings, but had to get there right at 8 so we got one of the first tables. Only downside is the place has a very small kitchen, so the wait can be a little long, but it is SO worth it.

Pros: Waffles, Super Vegano Burrito

Cons: small kitchen= long wait

Love. - Edit

The food here was so good! It's small and crowded. I had to wait a long time for my table, but I got the meal of my dreams. I had a jalapeno popper waffle that I'm probably going to dream about tonight. My entire party was similarly enthralled.

Pros: Great Food

Wonderful waffles! - Edit

Come for the vegan waffles and spiked coffee if you want some rocket fuel.
I took off one star for the dairy on the menu. I hope they choose to transition to a strictly vegan establishment in the future because I usually stick to supporting completely vegan businesses.

Pros: crispy pumpkin waffles

BEST BREAKFAST!!! - Edit

We had the vegan burrito, the nest, and the waffle special. Everything was amazing. Long wait but it was well worth it

Pros: flavorful, authentic, great drinks

Cons: long wait

so delicious - Edit

Absoulutley delcious food! I got the Philly cheesesteak ( portobello) sandwich it was so good if it was on the full time menu I would go there every day!

Pros: delicious, well labeled menu

Cons: service could be better

Great menu! - Edit

I went to AND cafe for brunch when I was in Portland recently and I wish I could go back! When we arrived there was a queue for a table but there was coffee outside that we could help ourselves to which I thought was a great idea. The queue moved reasonably quickly so we didn't have to wait for a table for too long. The menu is comfort food based and there was so much to choose from! I ended up ordered one of the day's specials which was a vegan mac'n'cheese. It was wonderful! There were so many other tasty looking things on the menu. There were delicious sounding cocktails and even spiked Sailor Jerry Rum coffee. Next time I'm in Portland I'll be back for sure.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Sailor Jerry Rum Coffee!

Cons: Slight wait for a table

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has A N D Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.