A N D Cafe

• Friend
Contact 503-233-4550

5420 E Burnside St, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97215

Following up on their previous successful venture, Off the Griddle food truck, the owners, Ashley and Dan, opened this breakfast and lunch diner in Nov 2011. Offers classic American comfort foods in vegan and vegetarian versions, with items like vegan mac & chz, waffles with fruit, biscuit sandwich, veg meatloaf sandwich, biscuits and gravy, plus daily vegan specials. Non-dairy milks provided for coffee drinks. Open Mon 9:00am-3:00pm, Wed-Fri 9:00am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by greenvegan

Wow! This little spot is a gem! - Edit

My hubby and I stopped in on a Saturday at 11:30am for a late breakfast. On a cool February day, we were a little put off by the wait list. We decided to stick it out, and had to wait about 15 mins for a table. We were surprised by the selection on the menu! There's a lot of creativity with this kitchen. There's both savory and sweet waffles, creative bowls, sandwiches, and other breakfast fare. We went for the "hot nests" which are hash brown potatoes in a nest shape that are covered with an assortment of veggies, and the "hashtastic" which was a butternut squash and veggie combination. We added the jackfruit bacon and herb tofu to the hastastic to create a divine combination of flavors. Don't be fooled by the portion size. After eating all that was on our plates, we were both STUFFED! We loved this cafe and are putting it high on our Portland favorites list!

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-19

Pros: Extremely flavorable, Very filling portions, Creative menu options

Cons: Small dining area, Short wait for table seating

one of the best vegan brunch spots in the world - Edit

End of review, not much else is needed, I've never had a bad meal here, and their specials always take it to the next level. Wish they would bring back the burger food cart too.

Okay, nothing special - Edit

Everyone we dealt with here was very nice, but the food was just so-so. The hashbrown "nests" were just shredded potatoes likely baked in a muffin tin, and they were hard to eat. They were chewy and tasted stale, but I've tried baking hash browns before and since they turned out just like these, I think these were fresh-made, just cooked poorly.

The rest of the food (biscuits and gravy and seasoned tofu) tasted okay, but my roommate agreed everything tasted kind of sweet. It wasn't really a savory, filling breakfast, which is was we thought we were ordering.

Pros: Free coffee outside for people waiting, Very nice and attentive staff

Cons: Cramped seating, Disappointing food

Vegan brunch done well - Edit

Delicious vegan brunch! The Super Vegano Burrito was excellent, good hot & cold. Since it is so filling, I saved a third of it for breakfast the next day and it was just as good. Imagine a whole wheat burrito wrapping a moist filling of pepper kale tofu, sausage, hash browns, mozarella, avocado, & cashew cream drizzled with cashew cream sauce. The kale, red cabbage, carrot side salad with citrus dressing was a fitting accompaniment as a side. My non vegan dining companion opted for the Veggies in a mess; greens, tomato, avocado on a biscuit with vegan option of herbed tofu or vegetarian option of two poached eggs, which she chose & enjoyed. Fruit plat we ordered for my toddler grandson was beautifully presented, cut into pieces that fit well into his hands - good finger food.
Friendly, knowledgeable service. Small location so we had a slight wait for seating, & food service since everything is freshly prepared. We were there on a Friday. Small parking lot to the side, and plenty of street parking out front. Affordable prices, ample portions. Rated a four since Not 100% vegan, though, since offers eggs and some animal-milk cheeses. All dishes can be made vegan.

Pros: Tasty dishes, mostly vegan or can be made vegan, Ample portions, affordable prices, Friendly, knowledgeable staff

Cons: Not 100% vegan, Small, so might be a wait for seating

Lots of Awesome Vegan Comfort Food - Edit

We had the Biscuits and Gravy and the Tofu Holindaze Eggs with hash browns. Both vegan and amazing! As well had a Bloody Mary all vegan too and the coffee is great! Would recommend anyone around the area to get here. Loved it!!! :-D

Everything on the menu except 4 things are vegan and there is lots of parking.

Good brunch - Edit

I met up with an old friend here for brunch. Most of the menu is vegan or can be made vegan, which is nice. I was worried about having to wait a long time, since I heard from friends (and seen on Portlandia) the challenges of getting a brunch table in Portland. But my fears turned out to be misplaced, as we were seated pretty soon after arriving.

I had the Feast Waffle, which was a savory waffle covered with gravy. It was pretty good, but not exceptional; I've made similar gravies at home before, so next time I would probably opt for something more unusual.

That said, I had a good experience here. The staff was nice and attentive, and the prices were affordable.

Pros: Nice staff, Affordable

excellent vegan comfort food! - Edit

the best waffles, sandwiches and inventive specials in town! amazingly delicious. fast, friendly service in a cute restaurant with local artwork.

Pros: amazing food, affordable , fast service

Decent Brunch - Edit

We came for brunch around noon on a Saturday. The wait was quick, about 20 minutes? Our waiter was ok, he seemed pretty annoyed to be seating us and getting us drinks, but once we were ordering he was great. It was so strange. My husband got the feast waffle, which is a savory waffle topped with tofu scramble and gravy. He really enjoyed it! I got the garden grilled cheese which was yummy with the avocado and spinach on it. I loved the flavor of the herb casher ricotta too. I'm giving it four stars because the food took FOREVER. Almost an hour from the time we ordered. It was a busy time, but the place is small, there aren't that many tables and nothing was said to us. A little "Sorry guys, the kitchen is backed up, we'll have everything out as soon as we can" goes a long way.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 01, 2015

Pros: vegan options, savory waffles

Cons: wait for food, waiter

Very, very good. - Edit

Very good, high quality food. Their waffles are awesome. Had a side of their vegan sausage, it was the best I've had. I'm very satisfied with the experience.

Pros: Everything starts vegan, but they have Tillamook , Worth the trip.

Cons: Slightly expensive, but comparable with other veg

Waffles!!!! - Edit

Love their brunch items here. At one point we had tried all the menu items, then they changed some up so we had more to try. The waffles are amazing, GF too. We used to make a weekly visit on Sunday mornings, but had to get there right at 8 so we got one of the first tables. Only downside is the place has a very small kitchen, so the wait can be a little long, but it is SO worth it.

Pros: Waffles, Super Vegano Burrito

Cons: small kitchen= long wait

Love. - Edit

The food here was so good! It's small and crowded. I had to wait a long time for my table, but I got the meal of my dreams. I had a jalapeno popper waffle that I'm probably going to dream about tonight. My entire party was similarly enthralled.

Pros: Great Food

Wonderful waffles! - Edit

Come for the vegan waffles and spiked coffee if you want some rocket fuel.
I took off one star for the dairy on the menu. I hope they choose to transition to a strictly vegan establishment in the future because I usually stick to supporting completely vegan businesses.

Pros: crispy pumpkin waffles

BEST BREAKFAST!!! - Edit

We had the vegan burrito, the nest, and the waffle special. Everything was amazing. Long wait but it was well worth it

Pros: flavorful, authentic, great drinks

Cons: long wait

so delicious - Edit

Absoulutley delcious food! I got the Philly cheesesteak ( portobello) sandwich it was so good if it was on the full time menu I would go there every day!

Pros: delicious, well labeled menu

Cons: service could be better

Great menu! - Edit

I went to AND cafe for brunch when I was in Portland recently and I wish I could go back! When we arrived there was a queue for a table but there was coffee outside that we could help ourselves to which I thought was a great idea. The queue moved reasonably quickly so we didn't have to wait for a table for too long. The menu is comfort food based and there was so much to choose from! I ended up ordered one of the day's specials which was a vegan mac'n'cheese. It was wonderful! There were so many other tasty looking things on the menu. There were delicious sounding cocktails and even spiked Sailor Jerry Rum coffee. Next time I'm in Portland I'll be back for sure.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Sailor Jerry Rum Coffee!

Cons: Slight wait for a table

Breakfast every morning of trip - Edit

When I find a breakfast place, I stick with it. A N D Cafe was the spot on my recent trip to Portland. Their menu is creative and the food was incredible. The first two days I had the Blue Plate and the last two, the Feast Waffle. Both were beautifully presented, hot, and amazingly good. I'd never enjoyed a stuffed savory waffle before, now I'm hooked. My spouse enjoyed the Hashtastic, with a to-die-for cashew ricotta and the Super Vegano Burrito. We both would highly recommend all four of these choices. The portion sizes were ample and were an excellent value.

The service was fast, friendly, and attentive. Get there early on the weekends to avoid a wait.

Pros: Excellent, creative food, Good value, Portion sizes

High scale amazing! - Edit

My daughter and I had two weeks in downtown Portland and after a week we discovered this place. We immediately fell in love. The food! WOW! Such seemingly simple flavors are mixed together in such a way that uniquely amazing and filling meals are born. We ended up going three times, and everything was devine every time. I recommend the Hashtastic.

If possible, get there at opening or an on off time, as they seem like they fill up quickly.

Pros: Amazing/unique flavors, Healthy and Hearty, Great service

Cons: Not 100% vegan, A little pricey, No external sign when closed

Pretty good, but not impressive - Edit

Got the full nest with tofu on a somewhat busy Sunday morning. It was pretty good, they could've bumped up the flavor a little but a satisfying vegan brunch nonetheless. Despite having a full house the food came out pretty quick. Portions are smaller than I expected but substantial. Not my favorite brunch place in Portland but still worth a visit.

Pros: Plenty of vegan/gf options, Great coffee

Cons: Somewhat bland food, Small portions

Best breakfast I had in Portland! - Edit

Not only was this the best breakfast in Portland, but I actually think it's the best breakfast I've had anywhere. No place in the SF Bay has anything comparably good for breakfast. My boyfriend and I got biscuits and gravy, Waffle Florentine, and Nuevos Rancheros. It was all so good that we kinda wanted to go back for lunch, even though there were plenty more vegan places to hit up during our short visit. Really inspired food, we LOVED it.

My favorite breakfast spot - Edit

Excellent vegan/veggie food! I've tried a few different items and am always happy with the service and food. The weekends can be busy so prepare for a wait (it's a small place). Well worth it!

BEST Breakfast in Portland - Edit

This is hands down the best breakfast in Portland. It's a smallish menu, but every single thing is delicious. I love the blue plate special, as well as the drink options. The space is small, but I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a table.

Pros: Food quality, Ambiance, Value

Fabulous vegan comfort food - Edit

We got there at prime Sunday brunch time, so there was about a 30 minute wait for a table. However, we asked for and received drinks (2 coffees and a fresh juice) while we waited. We read the menu while waiting and we're ready to order when we were seated. Food came out pretty quickly for such a packed house. I had the vegan "nests" of hashbrowns, vegan sausage, veggies, tofu scramble and vegan Hollandaise sauce. Husband had the special waffle covered in fruit, and the non vegan had the nests with poached eggs. All arrived piping hot and delicious.

It is a very small space, so it wouldn't work for a group of more than about 4. Here's hoping they do well enough to expand to a larger space!!

Pros: NO MEAT!!, Great food, creative items, Great coffee

Cons: Very small space

Tasty vegan comfort food - Edit

Never had a bad dish here! Usually don't have much of a wait if any, despite it being on the small size. Better than the other classic pdx vegan breakfast/lunch spots in my opinion.

Pros: Flavorful food, Changing menu, Vegan

Nice place to grab a bite - Edit

I like this place.

It's a cozy little cafe within walking distance of Mt. Tabor. I've been there a couple times and each time has been a pleasant experience. The atmosphere is more homey than upscale, it's small without feeling cramped.

The food is decent. I haven't had anything spectacular there, nor anything bad. But that's most cafe food for you. And most cafe's don't have a menu that is almost entirely vegan.

The staff are friendly and the service is fairly fast (perhaps because they are small).

For early risers it would be nice if they opened before 9/8 am (weekdays/weekends).

Pros: Mostly vegan menu, Pleasant atmosphere and friendly staff

Cons: Prices a little high for cafe food

Contributions +25

Our new go-to Sunday brunch place - Edit

We feel as if we have discovered buried treasure. My husband is vegetarian, I am veganish, and the menu had plenty of options for both of us. I ordered the walnut meatloaf, my husband, the triple nest. We were blown away by the flavors. The service was friendly and quick. We spent about $30 before tip and it was well worth it. We look forward to trying everything on their very unique menu. Why haven't we been here before?!?!

Pros: Unique menu, Gluten free options, Breakfast and lunch until 3 pm

Cons: Not opened for dinner, Can be a wait if you get there early

AND he saw that it was good. - Edit

I was reluctant to have breakfast here, thinking that being a vegetarian place it would be all about eggs, and eggs, and cheese, and eggs. But I was dragged by my wife. And what a sweet surprise!

This place was great. The vegan options outnumbered the non-vegan. (I don't understand why they don't just go all the way?) The breakfasts were very hearty, tasted great and the blue plate was particularly impressive. The kids liked their sweet waffles too.

In a desperate attempt I tried a coffee but alas, this place could not deliver something palatable. (Not unlike around 99% of all USA establishments - so no marks deducted for this.)

Very affable waitstaff too. We liked it and would come back again. We might have had a good run as it was not very busy - I'd hate to have the waft of chicken's eggs floating around while eating.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Come hungry - leave full

Cons: Animal products in the same room

Great place! - Edit

My son and I were passing through Portland and were thrilled to find this restaurant.

He chose the mushroom stuffed waffles with vegan ranch dressing. They were outstanding. I had the special of English muffins topped with caramelized Brussels sprouts and artichoke, also good.

The decor was fun with unique artwork on the walls and very friendly staff.

I just wish this restaurant was closer to my home!

Pros: Friendly staff, Large menu selection, Fun environment

Nice comfort food! - Edit

A N D is a great little cafe in the diner style. The service is good and the food is very yummy! I particularly love the birds nest vegan scramble!

Pros: vegan!, comfort food, nice staff

Cons: it's small

Have the special! - Edit

Lots of good stuff on the menu, but the day I was here the lunch special was a savory tempeh mole waffle, and I had to try it. They should make this a menu regular! So good!
Updated from previous review on Friday October 25, 2013

Pros: Friendly atmosphere

Love this Place for Breakfast! - Edit

Reviewing this restaurant and immediately saving it to my favourites list - one of the absolute bests!

My wife and I ate here on a Sunday morning, arriving at 9 am *just* in time to beat the full-on breakfast rush. We got a table right away but those following us had to hang out and put their names on the wait list. Either go early or be prepared to wait. Also, it's absolutely worth the wait!

We each had delicious kombucha (a Kimosa - think mimosa but with kombucha - for me) and an entree. My wife loved her Feast Waffle covered in an absolutely delicious sauce, stuffed with all kinds of vegan goodness. I ordered the classic Meatloaf Benedict and could not have been happier with my choice. Scrumptious!

The service was friendly and adequate, the menu packed with interesting options making for return visits a must! They also have daily specials which are very alluring too! Suffice to say, I adored this place. One of the best breakfast places I'm likely to find on Happy Cow. Don't miss it!

Pros: Delicious!, Good menu, Cool, friendly staff

Cons: Pretty small so get there early

Right around the corner! - Edit

I can't believe this place was here for almost an entire year before I stumbled upon it. Wow. The food here is innovative with potato "nests" piled high with veggie and protein of choice goodness. The sauces are yummy. Their gluten-free biscuits are flaky and yummy. The vegan sausage is unparalleled as is the "meatloaf." And that's just the FOOD. The best part of coming here are the owners and their fabulous staff. They are all people who I would love to hang out with. Good job folks!
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 05, 2013

Pros: Unique Menu Items and Delicious food!, Super nice humans!, Location, location, location!

Cons: Please put Bragg's on the tables :)

Beautiful place for breakfast - Edit

Wow! As visitors from Las Vegas, we were super happy with the WONDERFUL service and delicious food served at the A N D Cafe. Will be returning!

Pros: Very nice owners, Yummy food

Cons: No Las Vegas location

addicted - Edit

I'm addicted to their fast service and their hollonaise sauce on the nests!
I called to pick up an order 10 min before they opened and they were awesome! I picked it up 20 min later without a worry in the world. They have a long-time regular.

Pros: location, amazing food, fast service

Cons: pricey, need to be open on tues

Added to my Best list - Edit

1st Visit just before they closed. Great service and outstanding food. We live in Washougal, WA and we will still drive to eat here. We are coming back on Saturday for breakfast. We had lunch the first time. But I want to try their nest breakfasts.

Pros: Outstanding food, Great value, Great service

Cons: Close at 3 pm

Absolutely Amazing Breakfast Joint!! - Edit

I used to drive down from Gresham every 2 weeks to come here and get waffles with a tofu scramble. Yum. Now I live around the corner and will be going more often. Great GF selection and some good sandwiches as well. I like their hollanaise sauce with the little stackable tofu things. I can't think of the name but they're so good.

Pros: gluten free selection, amazing waffles, great service

Cons: short hours

One of my favorites! - Edit

One of my favorite nearby Portland vegan places, owned by my friends who operate the Off The Griddle cart nearby. Extremely creative menu (Jackfruit Tacos!! So good) that changes frequently. Awesome brunch food. What more can I say? Ya'll rock.

Pros: Great food, Brunch

Cons: None!

Meatloaf Benedict - Edit

Breakfast is so good. I got the meatloaf benedict w/tofu (you can get eggs if you choose). It was great. The raw key lime pie was good too. Can't wait to try something new although it will be hard to not order the meatloaf bennedict.

Pros: good, friendly, fresh

Cons: none

Delicious Treat for Gluten-Intolerant Vegans - Edit

This cafe just opened up and it is a real asset to the local veg community. Just about everything on the menu is vegan and gluten-free and those things that aren't are easily substituted for things that are. The food is delicious, the staff is delightful, and the atmosphere is great. I recommend trying the specials; when I went they were having a pumpkin cheesecake waffle that was absolutely amazing.

Pros: gluten-free, mostly vegan, great staff

Cons: on a busy street, closed Mondays and Tuesdays

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has A N D Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.