49th State Brewing Co

907-277-7727

717 W 3rd Ave, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, 99504

Serves meat, vegan options available. Brewery with typical bar food plus pizza and salad. Has vegan cheese for pizza. Veggie items include fried cauliflower, hummus platter, flatbread, and a Beyond Meat burger.

Category: Lacto, American, Pizza, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Chantal01

Great option for a mixed crowd - Edit

Just visited this restaurant on a recent trip to Anchorage. Plenty of vegetarian and vegan options. They also have gluten free buns and pizza crusts.

Pros: gluten free options

Cons: seems to be always packed

Decent veg options - they're trying - Edit

So, the highlight of this place is most definitely the beer, being as they're a brewery. I've never been disappointed by the brew selection, and as my tastes for brew run the gamut, so too do their options. Their selection and creativity in that realm is delightful.

I agree with a previous reviewer that seeing mounted skulls and antlers (Alaskan hunting lodge meets football team meets eatery? Eh....) is not a favorite thing, but I am happy that they specifically offer vegan and "veganizable" options. I also understand that they're going for a specific feel and image, but the...ah....ambiance...is a touch "dude-tastic", even for this burgers n' beer enthusiast; if I wanted to indulge in that sort of vibe, I'd probably go to a sports bar. But hey, that's probably the feel they're going for, since they seem to go to lengths to foster it.

The vegan pizza is pretty good, and as someone with severe reactions to anything containing casein (the protein in cheese that helps make it stringy), I can attest that their pizza dough and burger buns are dairy-free. Their burgers and fries are pretty good, and they seem more than happy to work with veg-heads on getting them options that they can eat.

My partner and I once ordered the avocado fries as an app, and those are....lacking. I like deep-fried food (and love avocado - double points, right?), but rarely indulge, since it's really, really bad for you. The avocado was way too green, even for deep-frying, and was rock-hard, even after cooking. I'm guessing that it might have just been that run of avocados, since local friends of mine cannot stop talking about them. Might give the fries another try in a month or two.

The overall impression? They really are trying to offer options for everyone, and they are trying a lot harder than the previous holders of that location did (The Snow Goose/Sleeping Lady Brewery). So, yeah, the atmosphere could be different, but they also offer really good beers, great vegan pizza, and pretty decent burgers.

Pros: Great brew selection (they are a brewery...), Good vegan options - they're really trying, Friendly staff

Cons: Noisy - can't hear across the table at times, Sportsbar-meets-hunting-lodge...not feelin' it.

Vegan Pizza Skeptic - Edit

I was excited to see a vegan pizza on the menu. after eating it I felt ill with all the symptoms normally associated with a lactose intolerant person consuming dairy. I contacted the restaurant and requested ingredients for the pizza dough and the hamburger buns but have not heard back. I want to try the Beyond Burger but I just can't risk feeling that sick again!

I still have them three stars because purposefully vegan options are sometimes hard to come by in this town and they seem to have the right intentions.

Pros: nice view

Cons: mounted skull decor

Vegan pizza! - Edit

THEY HAVE A VEGAN PIZZA! I was shocked! It was pretty good too! They also had hummus with no feta and have vegan salad dressing options.

Return to Anchorage Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has 49th State Brewing Co closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.