3 Sisters Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 317-257-5556

6223 N Guilford Ave, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 46220

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual cafe making classic American food. Menu marks V for vegan-suitable, includes breakfst porridge and granola, tofu scramble; and several lunch sandwiches. Previously at 6360 Guilford Ave.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by

Always Delicious - Edit

I have never been disappointed after a trip to 3 Sisters. Their hummus is the best I have ever had, and I make sure to get it every time I'm there. I have never been someone to like mushrooms, but their portobello burger is delicious. Ask for mustard on the side. The BBQ grains sandwich is also always wonderful and I always have leftovers. Never been disappointed with anything I've ever ordered!

Great for Vegans and non-Vegan Family members - Edit

I love Three Sisters! The atmosphere is homey and true to the Broadripple spirit. Whenever I am in Indianapolis we go to Three Sisters because my non-Vegan family members can eat what they want and the rest of us who are vegan can eat what we want. The staff is friendly and the food is delicious. Having lived in South Florida for 18 years - where there is no place to go (outside of Miami) for a nice vegan breakfast - I really appreciate their menu. Love it, love it, love it!

Pros: Great food, friendly staff, super atmosphere

Another 'meh' vegetarian options place - Edit

On the plus side, 3 Sisters has quite a few vegetarian and vegan options on their menu.

On the downside, those vegan options taste pretty bland. There's always a long line outside 3 Sisters on the weekends, so I guess the meat options taste better than the veggie stuff.

The tofu scramble for example tastes like a few stir-friend peppers were thrown on top of a block of unseasoned tofu, and a dash of salt was added. The potato hash always comes out cold and without any flavor as well.

I hear that this place used to be an all-veg restaurant that started serving meat just a few years ago. I'm glad to see vegan and veggie options still on the menu, but would rather get some flavor when I go out to eat. I'll give this one a pass for now.

Pros: big portions

Cons: bland food

Revised review - disappointed - Edit

The last 2 times my omni husband and I have gone here, we have been disappointed. It used to be my favorite place for breakfast. I feel like they might be under new ownership. My scrambled tofu has not been cooked like it used to be. It has been pretty tasteless the last 2 times. My husband ordered some type of egg product both times, and he was disappointed as well. The service was great, so I can't complain there, but the food has gone downhill. Even the toast isn't as good. They changed the type of bread they use. I'm revising from 4 stars to 3. Huge bummer. I'll be going to Zest (another Indy establishment) for scrambled tofu outside my home from now on. I'll give 3 Sisters another shot for their lunch items and may revise my review again then.

Pros: egg-free breakfast items, friendly staff, has a lot of character

Cons: food has gone downhill recently

Decent, more veg than vegan friendly - Edit

We enjoyed 3 Sisters, and have now been twice. The vegan options are somewhat limited. Basically a number of salads, and maybe 4-5 different sandwiches. They also have a vegan chili, which is just ok. Their portabella burger is fantastic. Black bean less so. Service is friendly but not the fastest. No vegan options for dessert. Haven't tried the breakfast yet but plan on doing so at some point. One of the best options in Indy but that's not saying much.

Cons: limited vegan options

Will visit again! - Edit

My first impression was that this restaurant needs some serious TLC. It is located inside a century home. The entrance hall walls are in dire need of a fresh coat of paint and the hardwood floors certainly need refinishing. The tablecloths are plastic with flannel backing and not all that clean. Overall, the appearance was unkept at best.

However...
The food was quite delicious. I had an eggplant sandwich and yellow saffron soup. So tasty. I do wish the children's menu had more options, but my ds loved the butter noodles and the children's fruit cups are wonderful (fresh blueberries, peaches, strawberries and mango.)

We've had better service for sure, but our waitress was courteous and a gentleman was very friendly with us and our 2yo (he was the cook or owner, probably both.) Because of the food quality and the wonderful side of town, we'll visit again.

Pros: tempting vegetarian options, food was delicious, fun and quaint side of town

Cons: restaurant could use some TLC, small tables, children's menu is small

Pretty good - Edit

I like this place, and my omni-parents enjoy the food here. I've had good and bad visits. They have some good vegan options, and plenty for vegetarians. Service is hit or miss. If they're busy you tend to be ignored a bit. I have generally been pleased with my food, but not blown away by it. I was disturbed to read below that vegan options are cooked on the same grills as meat options. I will certainly ask about this before I go back. The food tends to taste fresh. I like the three grains scramble a lot. I also like the interior of the place; it feels very homey. So while I wouldn't put it at the top of my Indy dining list, I would still say check it out.

Pros: vegan options, nice location, price

Cons: are vegan options cooked on meat grills?, hit or miss service

Enjoyable meal - Edit

I ate here today with my family. My older daughters (9 and 13) ate eggplant/spinach and cheese sandwiches. They each ate their entire meal. I ate a vegan 5 grain BBQ flavored sandwich. It had great flavor and I ate the whole thing. As mentioned before, service was slow, but the atmosphere was laid back and the staff was very friendly. I wish they had more vegetarian offerings for my younger children aged 1 and 4, but the pancake and eggs were good. Our family will be back at 3 Sisters for sure. Just don't go when you are in a rush!

disappointing - Edit

definately worth a try. the service is always wonderful and the employees are all very friendly, but soooo slow. their hummus appetizer is HUGE and comes with a lot for the price. i've been there 4 times and each time i take 1 bite of my entree and say "no more" the sandwiches there are usually soggy and heavy and just don't taste that great.

meh... - Edit

Good vegan breakfast options (scrambled tofu) and a few lunch items. Expect to be here for a loooooong time as the service is always slow and forgetful. It isn't really that spectacular, but it ain't bad for Indianapolis.

Pros: breakfast, location

Cons: bad service, not open for dinner

Not For Vegans - Edit

From what I gathered when I stopped at this place, there were very limited vegan options. Unless you want something basic and plain like chili, hummus, or a salad, this place isn't going to offer you much. Although they have items one would assume are vegan like tempeh and black bean burgers, they really aren't because they grill these items on the same grills they grill animal flesh on. As a result, if you order these items you will end up with cross contamination. In Indianapolis, this isn't unusual as this city is known for its lack of good vegan dining options. The places that do offer vegan options tend to offer very basic, non-creative, and bland offerings. Three Sisters and the like would be well advised to pick up some vegan cookbooks so they may expand their culinary offerings and possibly put themselves on par with other Midwest cities like Columbus, OH, and Chicago, IL, which have long provided vegans with great dining options.

Cons: uncreative cuisine, bland, crross-contamination

The Best!!!! - Edit

I was with a group of about 10 last Friday with a mixture of vegetarians, vegans, and meat eaters. The food and service was AMAZING. I have been in the restaurant industry for 16 years and I was so impressed with this place. I know when we come back to Indiana (we live in Seattle), we will definitely be back. All of the ingredients were of the freshest quality and the taste and presentation were divine.

Pros: amazing service, fresh, delicious food, very fair priced

Cons: one stall bathroom

Been there 3 times and never had a good meal. - Edit

Not sure what the above review is talking about, unless it was written by the owner.

Apperantly, the ownership has changed a number of times. I've had the sloppy joe there and it was awful (worse than the Broad Ripple Brew Pub's).

The breakfast is good and charming, but not very consistant.

Pros: Nice location, Good Atmosphere

Cons: Inconsistant, Food not very good.

2 Responses

Return to Indianapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has 3 Sisters Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4862 times since Aug 2007.