222 Veggie Vegan

Contact 020-73812322

222 North End Road, West Kensington, West London, England, W14 9NU

Casual vegan restaurant. See website for menu and directions. Lunch is buffet, dinner is a la carte. Mon-Sun 12:00pm-3:30pm, Mon-Sun 5:30pm-10:30pm

Category: Vegan, Western, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by swchwrm

very nice restaurant - Edit

even though the place was nearly full and we didn't have a booking, the staff managed to switch a few tables around so that there was a spot for us, which was very nice of them (although i guess we were lucky as well). we ordered the roast and the burger, which were both really nice, the roast is not really a roast indeed but just some (good) seitan. everything was just really tasty and cooked really well.

Pros: everything vegan, great food, nice staff

Excellent food, relaxed and friendly atmosphere - Edit

I've been for lunch a number of times, each time with a different group of friends (most of whom are not vegetarian or vegan). We've always enjoyed it. The buffet is good value, and the food always tastes good. The staff are friendly, and the overall atmosphere is relaxed.

Pros: Delicious food, Relaxed and friendly vibe

222 Veggie Vegan - Edit

Very busy when we arrived (on a Thursday evening at 8:15), glad we booked in advance or we would have had a long wait. Although the food was good, the menu was a bit limited for my taste, but that's just me and the portions were on the small side. Service could have been better but I think it was the waitress' first night! Would definitely go back, but not before I've tried the other vegan restaurants London has to offer

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-08

Fabulous - Edit

Everything we chose - starters, mains and dessert - was delicious. Service was efficient and friendly, and prices moderate by London standards.
Though the restaurant is 100% vegan we had the impression many people there were not necessarily vegan themselves but go because it serves great food and has a cool and friendly vibe. A great showcase for vegan cuisine!

Pros: Delicious 100% vegan cuisine, Excellent value by London standards, Friendly service and cool vibe

Disappointing.. - Edit

Everything looked good...but the taste did not follow through. I found the main courses too salty and the dessert crumble was very dry with the apple filling also not great. Staff were very efficient and friendly, but that couldn't make up for the disappointing food.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-15

Pros: Friendly staff, Lots of choice

Cons: Food looked better than it tasted, Tables all together, lack of privacy

A great place to get a hearty lunch in London - Edit

I have been back to 222 Veggie Vegan twice now and both times, I had a really great experience.

The lunch buffet is really good and very reasonably priced by London standards. There's a nice variety of dishes and everything is labelled clearly, including whether it's gluten free.

You won't find a better place for lunch if you are a hungry vegan! You can also get a take away box from the buffet if you are in a hurry.

The staff are friendly, fresh food is brought out to the buffet regularly and there is also a nice selection of smoothies :)

I highly recommend you visit 222 if you find yourself in London!

P.s. If you're taking the tube, West Brompton is the closest, but you can also go from Earls Court station if you don't mind a bit of a walk.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Reasonably priced

Cons: It can get a little cramped at peak times

Friendly vegan buffet - Edit

We stopped here for a lunch and were surprised by a very friendly atmosphere, smiling staff, good price and great food!
We can highly resommend this place!!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Good quality food, Price

Great vegan food - Edit

Small And nice vegan restaurant . Everything is well cooked And tasty . There is a good variety of different food to try . The staff is really nice And the price affordable

Pros: Tasty, Cheap , Nice staff

Cons: Everything perfect

No nos gusto mucho - Edit

El sitio muy pequeño, estas comiendo y codeandote con el de al lado.
La comida simplisima, nada que destaque. Es buffet pero no dan ganas de repetir nada. No digo que estuviese malisimo pero no se acercaba ni por asomo a sabroso.
Lo unico bueno es el personal.
No volveremos.

Pros: El personal

Cons: Sitio pequeño y mesas muy juntas. Comida nada sabr

fantastic! - Edit

although a bit small (if you come in big groups you might struggle to find seats) the buffet is very good. The veggies might be bit oily and the desert not very sweet for some, but nothing major. The staff is very friendly!
Never miss an opportunity to eat there when in London! Sometimes I cycle all the way from Luton!

Pros: buffet, price, staff

Cons: deserts not sweet enough!

Vegan Roast - Edit

I went here last year as a special treat and was so happy with my experience! The main course roast dinner was delicious, so was the starter crepe with almond cheese (or something like that) and also the dessert of choc torte!

Pros: All vegan, Good food (starter + main + dessert), Very friendly staff , Nice atmosphere

One of the best places! - Edit

Excellent Vegan buffet for lunch, plenty of options, eat as much as you can.
Very good drinks and terrific desserts, really good!

Pros: Wow the desserts are sooo good!, Great fresh drinks, Very tasty food

Cons: The service can be a little bit slow , The place is crowded with people

crowded but desserts are delicious - Edit

this place gives cosy a brand new meaning.. its bordering on overcrowded.. tables and chairs are so close together.. if you have kids do not bring a pushchair as it will be an inconvenience to both you and them... food menu didn't look overly appealing so just took so desserts - ice cream, raw chocolate cake and pancakes... all were super yummy and I would highly recommend

Pros: all vegan.. desserts are lovely

Cons: space is non existent

Best in London - Edit

WOW ! What a great surprise this restaurant was !
Great food, all you can eat buffet, varied, tasty, inexpensive.
If you are vegetarian or vegan or if you like tasty food, don't miss this restaurant !

Pros: Tasty, All you can eat, Inexpensive

Cons: Small space

Vegan goodness - Edit

We've been going here for a few years now and it's so nice to see how they are re-decorating the restaurant. The main cook and his son are really friendly and super accommodating to all your dietary needs. The only thing would be that the staff keep changing (and may not be as accommodating) but the food is consistently amazing.

Pros: Great food, Good value, Large portions

Cons: Staff may be new and unsure

An old friend: comfortable but needs a change - Edit

I have been to 222 so many times, I was surprised to find that I had never written a review - so here goes! What I really like is the atmosphere; it is in a cosmopolitan part of London, by no means salubrious and, to be frank, not the sort of place you would expect to find a vegan restaurant. Despite that, it seems to do very well, with a genuinely varied clientele: locals, students, tourists who have made the trek (probably having found it on Happy Cow)and people like us who like the idea of everything being vegan. The owner, Ben, is often there and always friendly. The food is OK without being special, though ironically, my favourite dish is Ben's Special, a type of stir-fry. In fact, when I first went there, more than 10 years ago, I would have said the food was on the good side of OK but the menu has barely changed since. I have no idea why this is - I know people have favourites but there is nothing wrong with feeding in a few new ideas every now and then. As a result, I do not really look forward to another visit with much excitement, though I do usually enjoy myself.

The service can be variable. I guess the staff are mostly casual and there is certainly a high turnover, which leads to an equally high variability in the standard of service. For example, when we were last there at Christmas, they brought me the wrong order - no misunderstanding, just a mistake.

In summary then, if you have never been, do go, perhaps for the buffet which I have heard is excellent value (though I doubt that menu changes either). The food is fine, without being outstanding. And, Ben, if you are reading this, think about some new dishes.

Pros: All vegan, Lively atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Menu never changes, Variable quality of service

The best vegan food in London - Edit

I tried many dishes from the buffet and a la carte and everything is always fresh and super delicious.

Pros: the best vegan food in London, buffet - eat how much you want!!, not expensive, fresh

Cons: Small, tables very close to each other, difficult to have a table if didn't book

super busy Mother's Day - Edit

They place was all booked up and full for the lunch rush on Mother's Day so we decided to get takeaways instead as it was the only vegan food nearby. I'm glad we did because it was absolutely delicious. Also glad we had take away because it looked like it we would be a long wait until we would have been served.

Pros: food , close by

Amazing - Edit

Got a table straight away, but many had to wait - so reserve your table.
Great food - I recommend everything, even though I didn't taste it I Saw no guests not being happy with their serving.

Cafe style, great food - Edit

It's a small unassuming cafe away from the busiest areas of London. We were in west London for the day and it was a perfect location for us. We got there just as the lunch buffet was setting up. They apologised for not having all the dishes out yet as they were all cooked fresh. We loved it - delightful flavours and a good variety of hot and cold. Highly recommend & will try to return for the evening a la carte menu.

Pros: Excellent freshly cooked food, Good prices, Eat as much as you can manage

Cons: A distance from central London

first experience with happycow! - Edit

I went there for lunch time when it is a all you can eat all vegan buffet. Very nice choice. The food, although simple in appearance was elaborated in taste! Cold and hot dishes! I went 4 times to the buffet, that says it all!

Pros: diversity in the buffet , affordable , friendly staff

Fabulous buffet - Edit

Went here for the buffet lunch and it was delightful. It costs £9.50 to eat in, which is fine for all you can eat, although still not a budget option. Every single part of the buffet was delicious and kept warm :)

Pros: Delicious food, All you can eat buffet

Two different experiences - Edit

So I have been to this place two times. The first time was lovely, although crowded everything was delicious and staff was very nice. And I would have recommended a visit to anyone. After my second visit however, I will not recommend going here to anyone.

So the second time the whole experience at this place was awful. The staff seemed generally confused and absent. It took the waitress ten minutes to take our orders and then it took another 40-50 minutes for the food to arrive. Me and my company ordered the same food as we did during our first visit, seitan stroganoff and vegan roast. The seitan and vegetables this time was burnt to the point of being down right crunchy and the sauce was runnier than soup and not the least creamy. My company decided to notify the waitress and after another 20 minutes they received a remade dish. Although much creamier this time, the seitan and vegetables were now undercooked and there were no attempts from the staff to make any apologies or explanations. In the end we had to wait even another 15 minutes until the waitress brought us our bill.

Pros: No real pros, there are better places to dine in L

Cons: terrible service , dodgy cooked food

Go there now! - Edit

Although the place is very simple and small, you can't go wrong with these guys: the food is superb! The atmosphere is nice too.

The buffet at lunch time is ridiculously cheap and you can take whatever you want. It is delicious. The staff is very friendly too. Every time I'm in town I take people there with me. In my opinion, it is the best vegan restaurant in London.

mixed views - Edit

I love eating at 222 during the day - the lunch buffet is reasonably priced and there is a good selection of carefully made, tasty and nutritious dishes, mostly gluten free. However, the menu doesn't vary much, and the food is consistent rather than inspiring. The smoothies are amazing though and the raw cakes are perfection on a plate.

However, I had a mediocre experience when I went to 222 for a Christmas meal in December 2014 with London Vegans. The organisation was very poor with over 30 minutes between people getting served, and the food was disappointing. Both soups were uninspiring, and while my main course was quite nice, my friend who ordered the meatless balls was served a depressing bowl consisting mainly of lots of spaghetti in bland tomato sauce, which seemed a let down considering how much we'd paid.

Despite that slip-up I'll continue to visit 222 and take people there as it seems to be a hit with everyone who goes - when I was eating working lunches there back in May 2015 I'd often get into conversation with other lone patrons, and quite a few were omnivores enthusiastically praising the food, surprised by how good it was, and saying they were interested in going veg*n, so props to the chefs.

Pros: all you can eat pricing, cake cake cake, good options for allergies/intolerances

Cons: short lunch opening hours, food can be a bit ordinary

one of my favourites! - Edit

Delicious food, great choice of dishes including a roast dinner, great wine list and of course the best part; dessert!
My Omni mum and sister loves this place too so great to take non-vegans to show them the wonders of vegan cuisine!

Pros: Really delicious food, dessert! , great place to show non-vegans how great vegan foo

Cons: gets very busy!

Great vegan restaurant - Edit

I've only been there once but I absolutely loved it. Excellent food, friendly staff and cozy atmosphere. I got to try two of their raw cakes and they were amazing!

Pros: Excellent food, Amazing desserts

Superb - Edit

Excellent food, trust the waiters' recommendations. Quite a different offer, including raw food options.
The partly open kitchen allows the scent of burnt garlic to spread in the restaurant. In our case, our clothes smelled like it after our visit - but not our hair, fortunately.

Pros: fantastic food, fair prices, amiable staff

Cons: burnt garlic scent in the air, reservations needed

Overall average - Edit

I have been here a number of times and have tried the mushroom and spinach raclette, vegan roast, seitan stroganoff and the risotto.
Of these 4 items, 3 use the same sauce. The sauce isn't bad but is not what you expect when ordering completely different menu items.

On the plus side, the dessert is delicious and the staff are friendly and attentive.

222 delicious, we stuffed ourselves silly! - Edit

We were in London for a wedding and used the Happy Cow app to find something to eat the night before; we went out of our way to visit 222 and it was well worth it! We had the soup of the day to start, carrot and pumpkin, which was easily one of the best soups we had ever tasted.
There was a lot of choice on the menu and we were tempted by the daily specials but opted for something we don't often have because somebody on the next table was having it and it looked great - this was the 222 Burger, salad and chunky chips with homemade tomato sauce. Again, we both really enjoyed our food but couldn't finish it as we were beginning to feel somewhat stuffed...
Nevertheless, we decided to force down a dessert. I was gutted to find that the cheesecake was not on that evening so I went for the raw chocolate torte; I can't remember what my meat-eating partner went for but we were both really happy with the food/drinks here.
Getting a first drink took longer than we would have liked but that could just be because we'd walked 5 miles to get there on a hot July day!
Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Lovely food, good choice, Generous portions

Outstanding - Edit

I came here for the all you can eat lunch buffet because I was in the area, and I absolutely loved this place.

The decor was pleasant, so it was nice to just sit there. The staff were all friendly, and the woman who I assumed was the owner was clearly very passionate. I arrived as they opened at midday, so there was a bit of a wait for the buffet food to be brought out, but when it was it was delicious and very healthy.

It's all you can eat at lunch time (12:00 to 15:30) for £7.50 (or £5.50 for a take away box). Then at dinner (17:30 to 22:30), they offer an a la carte menu, which I didn't try, but I'll add a sample of the menu to the photos.

It's a really top quality place. I wish that I didn't live so far away, or I'd perhaps be back everyday.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Good value

Brilliant value - Edit

Really great food.
Went there this lunchtime. I was expecting a menu as per their web site. Didn't realise it was an all you can eat buffet but I was really pleasantly suprised.
The food was fresh and really well cooked. Lots of salads. Nice fuss free atmosphere. Will definitely make this a regular lunch stop

Pros: cheap, good fresh vegan food, lots of raw

Cons: could be friendlier

Delicious! - Edit

Unplanned visit and so worth it! Searched for a place on Happy Cow when I was in the area and found myself at this lovely restaurant. The food is unbelievable! Will definitely be back. Next time will save some room for dessert :)

Great - Edit

We been there during our London trip with friends. Really great food and desserts. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We tried multiple meals, soup and desserts and could recommend for sure. Also with great lager!

Pros: great food, desserts

Cons: location

good - Edit

Very nice food, low fat meals on the menu! The place is small and not for special occasions, but perfect for daily meal.
Service soooo no into it, but it seems to be the same in almost every vegan restaurant in london...

OK dinner but not worth the trek - Edit

My BF and I were visiting London and had dinner here one evening. Glad we made a reservation because the place was small with cramped tables. To make things worse, they happened to be hosting a group of 20+ people that took over one side of the restaurant. We were drowned out by their racket throughout our meal. I understand the restaurant was not to blame for that, but it certainly put a damper on our dining experience.

We ordered the sautéed artichoke hearts to start with, then the seitan stroganoff and the racelette for main courses. I wouldn't recommend getting the latter two together as the sauce tasted very similar, if not the same—white, mild, and creamy. Then again, I wouldn't know what else I would've ordered instead given how ho-hum the menu was. I would've loved to see something more exciting than just pasta with tomato sauce (yes, for real), stir-fry, risotto, burger, or salad. The stroganoff—a customer's favorite according to them—was especially lacking and disappointing. It was basically brown rice and a few bits of veggies/seitan swimming in a rather bland sauce. Not that it was bad tasting, I just had higher expectation for this signature dish. The racelette turned out better. Our two desserts—the apricot almond cake and the 222 pancake—were scrumptious, although I found the sauce on the pancake a bit excessive and, again, on the bland side. It also had a strangely gooey consistency to it that I'm pretty sure was a result of added thickeners.

Overall the food was decent enough. Service was also friendly and attentive. Come check it out if you're in the area, but don't go out of your way for it like we did.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: small cramped space, boring menu

Lovely food - Edit

Impressed by the food - lovely varied menu. Possibly some of the portions could be a bit bigger as they are quite expensive.

Our waitress was not rude but very disinterested which was a shame and did things like touch our meals with the bottom of the water jug as she was re-filling our glasses - careless things like that.

Pros: Great selection, Very tasty

Cons: portions could be larger

Delicious food, friendly staff - Edit

My partner and I love this place, we were there in April 2014. We stayed in a nearby hotel and ate there several times both the lunch buffet and dinner menu. The owner and head chef Ben is a very humble and friendly guy. After a chat with him he said we could have any desert on the menu on the house.

The buffet is a must, its eat as much as you want and its quite affordable.

Just make you you go there with a good appetite!

Its best to call and book a table, they are quite a small place and get filled up quite quickly.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff

MMMMH THE STROGANOFF! THE VANILLA PANCAKE .... - Edit

GENIUS. I didn't even like stroganoff before I went Vegan...but I sure do now!!! This one specifically. It's just mmmmh. No point trying to describe it... It's just mmmh and so is the Vanilla Pancake... mmmmh. In fact it's mmmmh mmmmh... !!! If you love food like I do, then you can't go wrong at 222. Excellent buffet, it has to be the best value buffet on the planet. It really is fresh and high quality. Lovely oasis in West Kensington. Cosy and unpretentious with great service.

Pros: Stoganoff, Vanilla Pancake!, Buffet/ Service/ Quality

Great lunch spot - Edit

Tried this restaurant for lunch which was a bit of the beaten path if one is only visiting London for a weekend but I found it work the trek finding a vegan restaurant. The restaurant itself is very small so reservations would definitely be recommended if you make a trip specifically for this place. For lunch an all you can eat buffet is offered which is also reasonably priced. The choices are not immensely big but there were choices between 8-10 different items ranging from salads to grains and stews. The food was delicious and I did manage to go for a refill once because some of the items were really worth a second taste. The place does seem a bit crammed and when we were there, there was not much going on but I believe if the place is full it can get quite loud. I liked it and would go back for sure.

Pros: reasonably priced, tasty and varied food

Cons: not in a central location

Perfect lunch - Edit

I went there for lunch and was really happy to find out that they had a vegan buffet for £ 7.50!
Nice choice (about 10 different dishes) and very tasty.
I also had a carrot-ginger juice which was very good.

Pros: Tasty, Good value for money

Some gems, some problems - Edit

We visited this place really early on a Saturday evening and were lucky to fit in as the restaurant was almost completely booked, so I definitely would recommend booking a table.

We were quite surprised to hear that they didn't have any seitan that night and they substituted all seitan dishes with tofu. So we had e.g. tofu stroganoff instead of seitan stroganoff. But the problem wasn't the tofu but the recipe. The dish was ok, but it didn't resemble stroganoff at all. So it was quite a disappointment. I think it's not a good idea to name dishes with famous names, if you have created totally different recipe yourself.

Another main dish we had was spinach and oyster mushroom raclette and this was a hit! But now I have to say that I haven't ever had raclette in a restaurant while I wasn't vegan, so I didn't have clear expectations. We both liked this dish a lot and ranked it as one of the best vegan main dishes that we have had in a restaurant.

Desserts were also uneven. Pancake was super yummy, but we didn't like vegan cheesecake at all.

Pros: Some extremely good dishes

Cons: Didn't have seitan (on Saturday night), Stroganoff didn't resemble stroganoff, Cheesecake was not yummy

Glad We Went - Edit

We arrived at a time, I think on a Saturday evening, when it was really packed out, but the staff managed to squeeze us in, although it was right by the kitchen-I would recommend booking a table, if possible.

For my starter, I had the raw, dips, which were really lovely.

For main, I had 'Ben's Special', with the seitan option-it was the first time I'd ever had it, so thought I should. My other half had the seitan stroganoff, which I think he quite liked.

For dessert, I had the 222 pancake, which was lovely, and my other half had the chocolate gateau.

There's plenty to choose from, to suit all tastes, including raw.

Pros: Plenty to choose from, 100% Vegan, Really lovely food

Cons: Can be very busy, so book a table

Great place ! - Edit

I was a little confused "vegetarian" title, I was assured it's all vegan dishes. Only eaten there once , my dish was great a little too much salt but loved my first time experience with seitan... Dessert was a wonderful chocolate cake ! Loved it!
All in all rate it as a great place , definitely coming back again.

Pros: Cosy, Great services! friendly staff, Tasty food

Cons: a little too much salt for my liking , pretty busy place

Perfect for a Stroganoff - Edit

Beware, this place is full ! I don’t know if one can book a table, but if you can, do it !
The menu was just so hard to choose among all those delicious-described meals ! I could not try the seitan stroganoff as I was too full this evening, so I ate the oyster and spinach raclette which is amazing. Soo goooood ! I could die for this. And I tasted the stroganoff from my neighbour’s plate. It really keeps it’s promises. Perfect texture and taste. Too full again to try any dessert but I do not surrender. I will definitely come back !

Great menu - kind of run down restaurant - Edit

222 has rated by loads of people so I won't be saying anything new. I went expecting a lot and was slightly dissapointed. The food was good and I loved the menu choices. A West African inspired vegan cuisine is always going to be a hit.

Just thought the restaurant was too shaby and not enough sheik. We have been there twice and we will go there again. The food was not so amazing that they can get away with such a dinghy dining room. The service didn't stand out as being good or bad.

Pros: unique innovative menu, good value

Cons: restaurant very basic

Interesting food selection! - Edit

I was here at dinner time with my boyfriend. I had the Pasta Basilico and he had the Oyster Mushroom & Spinach Raclette. The portions were generous and we felt we got a good value for our money. The food was very good, the Pasta Basilico wasn't the most exciting of dishes, but they did have a lot of other dishes that sounded interesting. I felt like their menu offered something for everyone: pasta, burger, stir-fry, salad - among else.

We also tried the 222 Pancake for dessert. It was filled with ice cream and topped with vanilla and chocolate sauce. The pancake in itself didn't really taste much, the ice cream was tasty but the sauces tasted more sugary than vanilla and chocolate-y.

The service was alright and the restaurant wasn't busy when we were there. The place in itself was not especially cozy and it was a bit crowded with the tables close together.

Pros: Tasty food, interesting selection of food

Cons: A bit crowded

All-vegan buffet - hurray!!! - Edit

I had lunch in this restaurant after visiting Stamford Bridge and found it an enjoyable experience to see a small part of Fulham and "non-touristic London" by making my way to this restaurant. I was also excited to see an all-vegan buffet and for just £7,50! Everything was absolutely delicious - there was carrot cake, avocado salad, mashed potatoes, several vegetables dishes, rice with lentil/chick peas (similar to dhal), and even more.
The desserts on the menu also sounded fantastic, but sadly I was absolutely full and couldn't eat anymore.
I really recommend this place for lunch - I cannot comment on how dinner is, though, as I didn't try it.

Pros: 100% vegan buffet, Delicious food, Affordable price

Cons: Quite a way from London's main sights

Very tasty food but wait times can be long.... - Edit

I live in west London and have eaten at 222 many times. The menu is wonderful and caters for veggies/vegans and those who prefer to eat wheat-free, gluten-free, raw and organic. There are a number of dishes that keep me coming back for more. My absolute favourite, Ben's Special, is to die for: stir-fry with noodles (or choice of brown rice), vegetables and seitan. I also love the cream of mushroom soup when it is made available through the daily specials. What I'm not a fan of is the prolonged wait time. It is not unusual to wait in excess of 45 mins for food to arrive. On one occasion when the restaurant was around a third full, my party of four waited over an hour for our dinner to be served. I was ravenous by the time that the meal arrived and there was no apology from staff. While I understand that the food is freshly prepared, I find this kind of wait time simply unacceptable. 222 is one of London's best-loved vegan restaurants and it is worth a visit, but make sure you bring a good book and have a snack beforehand - long wait times are an ongoing issue here.

Pros: Fresh food, tastes and textures are amazing

Cons: Wait time is unacceptable

Standard of food not up to the price - Edit

This restaurant was relatively close to where we were staying, so we came here for dinner on an evening in late June. After being seated by charming wait staff I looked at the menu and decided to order the special: spinach tart with vegetables and a Napoli-type sauce. The smoothie I ordered arrived first and was nice, if a little thin. When the tart came I was surprised to see that, rather than a being served as a wedge, it had been cut into little pieces, all of which had little flavour, with only the sauce to give it any taste. The accompanying vegetables were similarly bland. My partner's pasta basilico was tasty but the pasta was overcooked to the point of breaking up and was drowning in sauce, rather than the two components complementing each other. I was also a bit surprised we weren't offered water, because the air conditioning was broken (or something) and it was stiflingly hot inside. I came here alone a week or two later and the staff were obliging although I was there very late. This time I ordered the cream of asparagus soup, which wasi fine. My main, the oyster mushroom and spinach raclette was also OK but not as tasty as I might have wanted for £11.95. I think that the flavour to price ratio here leaves something to be desired.

Pros: Pleasant staff

Cons: Food not great, sometimes poor, Prices too high for the standard

Take a book - Edit

My husband and I, both vegan, happily visited here last night for dinner based on the recommendations. While the food is decent, it was definitely not our best meal in London so far and not worth the 75 minute wait until it came to the table. We understand that this wait time is a regular occurrence here.

The table next to us waited equally long, had one person not only served well after the others, but that person ended up with the wrong dish.

The stroganoff was in a heavy sauce. The vegan roast was good. Accompanying vegetables were, to our palate, somewhat oily. We skipped desert, which looked good based on the table next to ours, as we were concerned about how long it would take to arrive.

A tip - we found a far better and fabulous 'regular' Asian restaurant in Kensington that had plenty of vegan options. Do keep your eye out for alternatives, especially if, at the end of a long day of sightseeing, you are hungry and want your meal within a reasonable time frame.

Nice food - Service can be very slow - Edit

Whilst the menu descriptions don't always sound that exciting, the food is nearly always good here. My one reservation with the food is that the seitan based dishes tend to contain tiny amounts of seitan - 2 or 3 small strips in the stroganoff and a tiny amount in the roast.

The other problem that I have encountered is that the wait between courses can be really long. I like not feeling rushed in restaurants, but have encountered 50 minute waits between courses. The staff are always friendly and apologetic when this happens!

Judging by other reviews maybe I have had some bad luck - I have only been 4 or 5 times so am not a regular. I always want to love any all vegan restaurant!

So I would say that this is a good restaurant - but a bit inconsistent. With a few improvements it could be so much better.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 26, 2014

Pros: Pretty good food, Friendly staff, Reasonably priced

Cons: Can be a very long wait between courses, Inconsistent portion sizes

I liked but I would not go crazy - Edit

Nice relaxed restaurant, I loved my dinner here but I was surprised about the difference of quality between starters (very good and tasty artichokes) and main dish, a little bland and banal (seitan Stroganoff).
The cake, a raw chocolate one, was wonderful.

Scrummy scram at 222 - Edit

Not being of the creative cooking-type, my vegan options in the kitchen are pretty limited, boring really. So an opportunity to go to a restaurant where the whole menu was dedicated to vegan food seemed like heaven. There is an array of options, which was so difficult to choose from that we went back a month later to tuck into other dishes on the menu.
This restaurant serves up great portions of home cooked, tasty classics. There is something on the menu for everyone. I had the raw food, yep they have a raw selection too, avocado cold soup to start. Followed by tofu mushroom stroganoff. Others had the homemade humus and dips and the creamy mushroom soup, followed by risotto and creamy mushrooms and potato gratin.
The desserts were heavenly, warm pancakes with chocolate ice cream and crumble. What more could you ask for. Oh yeah, alcohol. The wines and beers were all vegan too.
It wasn't a one off either, on our return visit we were served up generous portions once again of really tasty food.
For someone like me who is a completely bore in the kitchen, this place is pretty special. It offers a wide range of options, lots of yummy desserts and you leave with your belly fully of good, wholesome home-cooked food. What more could a girl ask for? Well, maybe a little room so I don't throw my pint glass of water across the room with my swinging bag. Other than the sheer embarrassment of the whole restaurant staring at me for those few seconds I loved my night out being vegan and not worrying about whether I was going to starve on a salad.

Pros: good service, yummy, fresh food, everything is vegan

Wonderful, delicious, healthy food - Edit

I came here for dinner last night and it was a great experience all round. The food was delicious and beautifully presented (I had a bean and tofu pancake for a starter and an oyster mushroom and spinach clapette for main). I also chatted to some lovely visiting Australians sitting on the table next to me, who also had some really tasty-looking food! Sadly I didn't have room for dessert, but I was extremely tempted when I saw other diners' cakes and ice creams passing by. The service was excellent with very friendly and helpful waiting staff. Unsurprisingly, on this Friday night the restaurant was extremely busy and it took a little while to get a table, but it was well worth the wait.

Pros: Amazing high-quaity food, Lovely, friendly staff, Beautiful space

Cons: Very busy!

Busy, tasty place - Edit

Went here with some friends on a Tuesday night having booked a table "just in case", and were we glad we did as the restaurant was full.

The menu is pretty extensive and also offers raw options. My friends had eaten here several times and could recommend several of the dishes. I went for the seitan stroganoff and wasn't disappointed - it was lovely and rich and I struggled to finish it.

We had a couple of issues with the service where two of our meals were brought first but one of us had to wait a long time for our main and also a wrong dish was brought. These issues were resolved though and the waiter was so lovely about it we were almost embarrassed to say anything. They also comped our drinks without us asking as an apology. Dealt with the situation really well.

Pros: Well thought out menu, Lovely staff

Probably the best vegan food in London - Edit

"best" is subjective in that there are Indian restaurants who do great food that 222 never attempts and cafes like The Black Cat in Hackney offer great food much cheaper than 222. Those qualifications aside 222 offers wonderful healthy food. The current menu seems to be on a mission to prove that vegan fayre can creamy in texture too! Last week I had the butternut squash rissotto and the Chefs special stir fry. Both were excellent. Vegetables cooked to perfection and flavoured delightfully. The raw chocolate cake is gorgeous, thick, luscious, creamy and decadent. If you don't add wine to your bill it not too expensive and for special events this place is still my favourite London restaurant despite it being on the other side of the capital.
One downside is that it's often busy at weekends, you need to book, and can be both over warm and noisy inside.
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 23, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday January 23, 2014

I finally got to try the 222 daytime buffet today. We happened to be ita and what a revelation! if 222's al la carte menu in the evening is too expensive for you to enjoy often then the lunchtime buffet is perfect. I am used to the buffets at places like Indian veg and the Thai Veg Veg franchises but 222 is a step above. The food is enthused with a sense of quality. The simple (!) chick pea curry was so delightfully mild and yet tasty it surpassed all the ones I can remember ever eating at any Indian restaurants (besides perhaps Jai krishna). There were some little moist savoury cake things and beautifully done plantain it was difficult to stop eating! And the cost is still £7.50, which must be 222's modus operandi of spreading the vegan message. My partner for today's feast is lucky enough to live close by and intends to do more lunches at 222, I will consider cycling over from Hackney to join her because both are worth the effort.

Pros: Marvelous imaginative nosh, Friendly service, All vegan

Cons: Expensive (lunchtime buffet cheap), In West London, Busy

Nice vegan place! - Edit

The place is really pleasant, with warm colours on the walls. The staff is friendly and the food is 100% vegan and tasty. We had a very nice dinner, dishes were good from the starter to the dessert. However, some dishes were a little bit drowned in sauce and we consequently lost the expression of the different flavours of the numerous ingredients. But their desserts were really yummy! Go there if you're in the area.

Pros: 100% vegan with great desserts, warm atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: some dishes are too much creamy, drowned in sauce

CLOSE TO CHELSEA? GO & EAT HERE - Edit

definitely the number one veg place in the area
super friendly people and the food a la carte is great too

Pros: great food on the menu, friendly people

Cons: food during lunch is not the best, small restaurant

Amazing restaurant - Edit

This restaurant was simply amazing. Went there with my carnivore boyfriend and he loved it.

The atmosphere is great, the food is incredible and the people are very kind. I spoke with the cook, Ben, and his passion about vegan food is contagious.

As a vegan eating out isn't always that simple. But when I go to London again, I will totally visit this place again. The only hard thing here is to make a decision between al those great meals.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, The cook!

Simple but delicious!!! - Edit

We tried the "all you can eat" lunch buffet today for 7£50;
The place is quite small and cosy but you can reserve a table if needed.
They have a small but delicious buffet with salads of all sorts (quinoa, avocado, kale, beetroot...) and a choice of 6 or 7 hot dishes. My fav was the "beans in a creamy cashew sauce with brown rice", wow just couldn't stop eating! Their spinach lasagna was also perfect!
We couldn't have a dessert as we had already eaten too much :-P
The staff is really nice and the place is clean.
Too bad we will not be able to go back there this time to taste the "raclette" for dinner.

Pros: all vegan, cheap lunch buffet, tasty food

Cons: location

Fine if you're in the area - Edit

We visited on a Sunday lunchtime as part of a family day out in London. I had heard great things about the buffet and was also looking forward to trying the famous Spice Island Pie for dessert. The staff were friendly, and we were delighted to hear that they wouldn't be charging us for the child's meal. Unfortunately we were a little disappointed with the buffet - only a small selection of dishes, and no real signs of the creative and interesting ideas that are present on the evening menu. Several of the desserts were sold out, so we gave that a miss in the end.
If I lived nearby, I would probably visit fairly regularly for a solid, healthy lunch. However, I don't think 222 is exciting enough for a special trip - not at lunchtime, anyway.

Pros: Free child's meal, Flavoursome basics, Good value

Cons: Narrow selection, Desserts sold out, Greasy spoon style tables

delicious, satisfying food - Edit

We ate dinner here on a recent layover in London and our only regret was that we didn't have time to come back for another meal. It was some of the most satisfying vegan cuisine we've had anywhere and we've been to quite a few places around the world. The seitan stroganoff and risotto dishes we tried were both excellent as was their vegan ice cream. We found the staff to be pleasant and the space inviting. It was packed on the Friday night we were there so it might be a good idea to call ahead and make a reservation.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, inviting space

222 Veggie Vegan - Edit

Il ne faut pas s'attendre à des plats incroyables mais cela reste néanmoins un restaurant qui vous fera passer un moment agréable.

Pros: Buffet peu cher, Bons desserts

Cons: Pas très original, Relativement peu de choix dans le buffet

Great food! Great vibes! - Edit

Talk about hitting the jackpot! This little restaurant with relaxed, mellow atmosphere served up amazing, freshly prepared, hearty vegan fare. The service was excellent and even as the place filled (we arrived right at the opening) we were never rushed. We felt a special vibe of joy in this place and will certainly be back for more love - i mean gourmet vegan dishes!,

Pros: Gourmet vegan, Pleasant, low key atmosphere, Fresh and healthy

mmmmm - Edit

Great place for lunch. Excellent all you can eat vegan buffet, always a good mix of 4 salads and 4 hot dishes.
Plenty of vegan cakes and good value.

Pros: all vegan, good value all you can eat, clean

Cons: a little small, No real variation in menu

Absolutely delicious - Edit

I went there for the lunch buffet twice during my stay in London, once on my own and once with a friend who is also a vegetarian.
Both times the food was absolutely delicious and filling. There is a nice choice of different salads as well as a choice of hot dishes. Some of the dishes (eg. most of the salads, the brown rice and an absiolutely heavenly carrot cake) were available on both times I went there while some others (eg. the vegetable stew, once with chickpeas and once with lentils) changed.
I will definitely go there again when I am in London again, as it was very nice, the staff is really friendly and the food absolutely gorgeous.

Pros: delicious, inexpensive, friendly staff + great atmosphere

Good, filling food - Edit

I visited 222 once last year, and I am planning to go again soon. I enjoyed the food which was very tasty with decent portion sizes. Enjoyed the casual atmosphere of the venue too

Contributions +14

Beautiful GM free, Vegan Food in London - Edit

My Mother & I have been making the 70-mile round trip to 222 for about 9 years now. Ben Asamani (Owner/Chef) is a beautiful Soul & truly puts has Love & passion for cooking & the vegan lifestyle into every dish. The restaurant is always busy (booking highly recommended) & full of a really great mix of people. 222 does not compromise on its intention to feed its customers beautifully prepared, GM free, high organic, vegan food at a great price point. Food is made to order so be prepared to wait a little longer than you may be used to- It is truly worth it. If you are looking for a beautiful, warm, bustling yet relaxed environment for a great night out, or simply a great plate of vegan food, 222 is the place you've been looking for. Thank you Ben for living your Mission!

Great place! - Edit

Visited 222 a few weeks ago with some friends. So refreshing to see a completely vegan menu! I'm always pleased when I can't decide what to eat. Two of my friends are carnivores and were very happy with their food!

Great food, guy taking our order got a little confused about my friends wine order but other than that perfect. Great atmosphere but it can get quite warm.

Try the Spice Island Pie!

Pros: Atmosphere, Delicious, Reasonable prices

Cons: Small, Hot

Delicious and healthy - Edit

Went with a group for the lunch buffet.

Although there is a small selection relative to some buffets (about 5 hot and 5 cold dishes), there was plenty there to provide you with a delicious, filling yet healthy lunch.

The cold selection offered a range of salads, including coleslaw, beans and mixed salad, which were all really tasty and well flavoured.
The hot options included rice, plantain and some delicious creamy chickpeas.

We were impressed with the drinks menu, and sampled the organic lagers, fresh juices and cereal coffee.

Despite being full after the buffet, we forced ourselves to order a couple of desserts to share! We ordered the tofu cheesecake and a spiced almond/cashew slice, similar to a cheesecake. Both were rich and tasty, and even my slightly sceptical meat eating friends were pleasantly surprised by how good they tasted despite having no cream/dairy in them!!

The restaurant was small, so probably worth booking. The lunch buffet is really good value for large portions of interesting, tasty and healthy food.
I will definitely be going back, either for the lunch buffet again, or to sample the great looking evening menu!!

Pros: Good value, Healthy, Delicious, varied food

Fantastic, healthy and amazing - Edit

This place is great! The food is as good as the top vegan restaurants in New York but it is much cheaper.

I had the cream of mushroom soup which was the most amazing soup I had ever had. My partner had the cream of tomato soup which was sooooo flavoursome.

For the main I had the vegan roast which was INCREDIBLE. Amazing mash with onion gravy. My partner had the risotto which was great.

For dessert we shared the apple crumble with ice-cream which was really, really good! Definitely a must-try.

Very nice service as well.

Pros: All vegan, AMAZING food

222, WE LOVE YOU - Edit

I would agree with the reviewers who've said this is one of the best vegan places ANYWHERE -- I am also a well-travelled vegan and this place goes straight in my all-time top 10!

My bloke and I headed to 222 for dinner, firstly. We were seated by a friendly and helpful waiter and were spoilt for choice when it came to the menu! So many tasty-sounding options! In the end, we went for 1 x artichoke hearts and 1 x pitta/dips as starters. The artichoke hearts were so flippin' delicious! We spent ages trying to figure out what they were cooked in, herbs-wise, because we wanted to try and make them ourselves! So delicious! And although it's a pretty standard starter, even the pittas came with GREAT guacamole and a delicious red pepper dip, all beautifully presented, too.

For main course, I had the seitan stroganof, because the menu said it was a customer favourite. I can see why! It was gobsmackingly good! It was one of those dishes where you're not quite sure HOW it can be vegan, it was so creamy and rich... amazing. My bloke had the vegan roast and was similarly impressed... it comes with A TOWER (that's really the only way to describe it) of crispy mashed potato, and the seitan is perfectly cooked. WE WERE SO HAPPY.

We were way too full afterwards to have dessert right then, but the dessert menu looked so good that we felt we had to try one... so the staff very kindly packaged up two desserts for us to take away :) We both picked the raw option, unfortunately I can't remember its name, but it was a cheesecake-type affair, I think with 'spice' in the name? Anyway, it was just as good as everything else and just topped off the excellent experience!

Our only complaint was being sat in a far corner, miles from the air con and right by the kitchen, on a roasting hot day! The place was nearly empty so it seemed a bit cruel!

Running out of characters (SO MUCH LOVE FOR THIS PLACE GUYS), but we came back a couple of days later for the buffet lunch. This was also fab. Amazing to find an all-you-can-eat affair where EVERYTHING is vegan! Highlights: the curried chickpeas, the carrot tart and the avocado and pea salad. We ate so much that we could barely walk, but it was all too good to pass up! We had to try everything! Once again, the staff were lovely, friendly and suprisingly attentive for a serve-yourself-buffet set up. IF I COULD GIVE THIS PLACE SIX HAPPYCOWS I WOULD! I defy you to find a better vegan meal in London!

Pros: Amazing food, great choice, big portions, Lovely friendly and helpful staff!, VEGAN DESSERTS OMG

Cons: No cons, none whatsoever, This place is magical, Go. Go right now!

Well worth the trip, great food!!! - Edit

I wasn't really expecting much based on the unassuming front and hadn't read any reviews before going. Boy was I surpised. I had one of the best vegan meals I have had anywhere. Not just in London, but anywhere i have traveled and I am from new york where there are many many vegan options. Every dish was fantastic. Cream of mushroom soup was very delicious and filling. Artichoke was great and large enough portion for two. Seitan Stroganoff was perfect. Service was very friendly and helpful. Food came quickly, portions were large and filling. Price was not too much. Am planning on going tomorrow for the lunch buffet and unfortunately I am leaving to go back to NY the next day so I will have to wait until my next trip to London to enjoy this sensation food and people again!

Pros: Delicious food, Great chef and service, good price and good portions

Cons: No cons at all!

222 Veg Melts in your Mouth - Edit

222 Veg in London is beyond one of my favorites! Even though I am not 100% veg, I prefer coming to 222 Veg of any other spots. I have many veg friends who adore this place and have brought some other non-veg friends who cannot believe the absolute amazing quality & taste of the food! Ben, the owner & chef, is super charming & health-conscious. He believes in using only the healthiest of ingredients. He is an inspiration & a true believer in putting only the finest & freshest into our bodies.

I highly recommend the Spinach Raclette-- this dish is the ultimate melt in your mouth! You must try Ben's soups -- super fresh and yummy! Everything on the menu is exceptional. For dessert, you must try the Spice Island Pie --Whoa!

I cannot say enough about this 'to die for' dining experience. I travel around the world and have been all over the world dining. Ben's 222 Veg is at the top of the list! Thanks, Ben. Your friend in New York!

Pros: all healthy ingredients -- no sugars, so tasty, amazing owner, Ben

Cons: absolutely none

Food heaven for vegans - Edit

A wonderful balance between fine dining and hearty homemade food. There is a good variation in their options and all deliver great flavour combinations and well-thought-out ingredients. After dining here, you really get the sense that there is no excuse for vegetarian restaurants not to be fully vegan.

Pros: Great choice for vegans

Cons: Quite a small place - best to book

Simple and great! - Edit

Everyday food tasting delicious! Everything was well prepared and looked very healthy!
The desert was remarkable: crepe with vanilla ice cream. Probably the best vegan ice cream I've ever had (I kind of think about it everyday hahaha)

Pros: price, well prepared, VANILLA ICE CREAM

Very tasty! - Edit

I had a raw option which was very delicious and a large portion. Then the raw chocolate cake I will never forget! My friend who is a non-vegetarian loved the food too. The only thing we did not like was that we had to bear the smell from the kitchen and our eyes were burning.

Pros: excellent food, big portion

Healthy, fresh and so tasty! - Edit

The lunch buffet was probably the best I've ever had. The combination of flavours was totally perfect.

For dessert we had apple crumble with raspberry soy ice cream. It was too good!

Facepalm: A muslim customer there sent her seitan stroganoff portion back to the kitchen because she could not believe that it did not contain any pork.

Pros: Friendly staff, Light and open restaurant, High quality ingredients

Cons: Too delicious!

Fresh Veggie Buffet Lunch - Edit

Tried the buffet lunch - 5 hot and 5 cold dishes. You help yourself and eat as much as you like for 7.50 (5.50 take away box). Delicious fresh tasting salads and hot dishes.
We had to try the spice island pie and chocolate cake with ice cream. Both were gorgeous - proper fudgy chocolate cake. Other reviewers have said how hard it is to believe the spice island pie is raw and vegan.
Ooh and I also recommend the banana apple and cinnamon smoothie.
Nice atmosphere, friendly service and no rush.

Pros: All Vegan, Desserts, Buffet

IRRESISTIBLE! - Edit

Luckily for me this cafe/buffet/restaurant is as near to my home as central London ones. Here, now, I want to be clear. 1. Daytimes - they have the best buffet of any place in the world i've been to. 2. Their vegan desert are just so damn good. 3. There's one in particular that should be on everybody's bucket list. It's called Spice Island Pie. Ok, get this, it's Raw, Wheat free, Gluten free and Sugar free. Seriously, what mire could you possibly want from a desert! On top of that - and i'm a very disciplined eater, it's the only desert in this universe that i simply can't say no to. (& no it doesn't speak, but if it did it would say "I Love You").

Pros: Great value, friendly, A M A Z I N G food

Cons: none, nothing , no

Cheap And healthy vegan buffet - Edit

I use to have lunch in this restaurant because I think it s really convenient and the quality of the food is really good . the buffet is not so huge but you can find a good selection of different dish .I definetively recommend it

Pros: Cheap , Friendly staff , Good value

One Of My Favourite Vegan Buffet Ever! - Edit

Very good and healthy food, wide selection of hot and cold food. Unlimited buffet. delicious vegan and raw cakes! very friendly staff.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 18, 2013

Pros: Food , Place , Value

Cons: Nothing

wow! - Edit

I was so impressed by this place.I live in Manchester where I struggle to find vegan restaurants so I was eager to try this place when the opportunity arose. I took along my aunt who is a head tutor on a hospitality and catering course at MMU and my 74 years old meat eating Grandmother so I knew the standards has to be high to persuade this table!

The food was beautifully cooked and presented and considering we had an elegant three course meal and a £20 bottle of wine, the final bill rang in at just over £80 which I though was impressive.

I would struggle to find any fault other than location (Move up north 222 vegi!) as the waitress was lovely and the interiors where very inviting too.

Highly recommended and admired

Pros: food choice, price, friendly staff

Excellent cooking, imaginative dishes - Edit

222 offers the best vegan food in London, and must be one of the best restaurants in Europe for vegetarians and vegans. While some better known places in central London come with a great deal of hype and loud media types, 222 has a relaxing, simple setting with many local, multicultural guests and their service, atmosphere and above all the dishes are superb. I particularly enjoy their raw food main courses and absolutely fabulous puddings (all vegan, something that other better known restuarants in London simply cannot do), my favourite being Island Pie and Raw Chocolate Torte. Finally, the restaurants is an excellent value for money, in particular when you look at the quality of the ingredients they use. An absolute paradise for vegans and anyone interested in healthy eating.

I have been many times but unfortuantely I cannot think of any cons, only pros.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, goodm valyue

Cons: there is only one 222, there should be more and in other areas

Simply Excellent Vegan Food - Edit

222 Veggie Vegan is without a doubt one of the best vegetarian restaurants in London. The tofu pancake starter is amazing, there are main courses to suit any appetite or taste, and the cheesecake dessert is delicious; just when you think you can't fit any more in! The decor of the restaurant is simple, but it does the job. I've been going here for over 4 years now and it never disappoints.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 09, 2012

Pros: Excellent food, Huge choice for vegans, Bean & tofu pancake

Cons: Never liked the name of the restaurant!

Excellent food - Edit

Been here a lot over the years. Fantastic selection, good quality, tasty and excellent value. gorgeous desserts. The lunch buffet is incredibly cheap. Nice selection of drinks. Only complaint would be the menu doesn't change much.

Pros: Great food, good value, large selection

Cons: menu doesn't change

Superb - Edit

A superb vegan restaurant. The food was delicious and the portions were generous. The menu is tasty and artistic without the pretentiousness of some of the posher vegetarian places in London. We had the raw noodles, the mushroom stroganoff and the raw island-spiced tart for desert - all fantastic.

Pros: 100% vegan 100% delicious, Raw options, Great desserts

Excellent - one of the best - Edit

Firstly, it's pretty close to two tube stations (West Kensington or West Brompton), between 5 and 10 minutes walk. We visited on a Saturday evening in July 2012.

The staff were all friendly and attentive (but never overbearing), and it felt what I'd call "semi-posh" - by this I mean it has nice decor and ambience with classy music, but a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Best of both worlds! We found it to be solidly yet subtly vegan - there's no evangelism, it's carnivore-friendly so take your meat-eating friends there to open their eyes! (I didn't see any "alternative lifestyle leaflets" as one recent reviewer mentioned.)

There was a good range of food and drinks (both alcohol and soft) on the menu. We had a "Kicking Cola" which is an organic cola - great taste and refreshing - and a (bottled) Cherry & Apple Juice which was tangy and tasty.

We shared the Bean and Tofu Pancake to start, and it was incredible from the first bite! The tomato sauce was full of flavour and just the right side of spicy, and the vegan cream was incredibly creamy. The pancake was in that wonderful zone between chewy and crispy, and the filling was hearty and plentiful. The whole dish worked very well.

For the main course we had one Seitan Stroganof (deliciously creamy and decent portions of rice and stroganof, with great strips of seitan) and one Oyster Mushroom & Spinach Raclette (the whole dish was superb, with a rich creamy sauce, and excellent mushrooms). Both mains came with a small but well-presented side salad.

By now we were very full, but we wanted to see if the desserts were as good as the starter and mains! A 222 Pancake (ice cream in pancake topped with warm vanilla and chocolate sauce) finished us off nicely, along with two good fair trade coffees. Even though we were in there after the official closing time by now, the staff were happy for us to take our time, as they were setting up the buffet for the next day's lunchtime - we didn't feel rushed at all.

All the food was very well presented. It's amazing that all this is vegan! We've been eating vegan food for a year or two now, and we were still impressed by the range and quality at 222. The delicious creamy sauces were cashew-based, though didn't taste of cashews.

It really was a perfect meal. I can't think of anything they could have changed to make it better.

The evening dinner prices were "moderate" rather than "inexpensive" - but still good for the quality and portions.

Pros: Good range, Good quality, Good staff

Healthy, vegan food...best vegan buffet in London! - Edit

It has always bothered me that for all the years I have eaten great vegan food at 222 Veggie Vegan, (since turning vegan and leaving my vegetarian days behind me), I have actually never bothered to review this restaurant. Well here goes...

Along with Manna, '222' is the best veg*n restaurant in London. The Chef/Owner of '222' Ben has worked in many veg*n cafes over the years, but '222' is where his food has been at it's best, because as the actual owner of this restaurant, he can fully control the food that is offered.

To be able to sell food at 'comfortable' price points, the restaurant cannot provide 'gourmet food' like Manna. To balance fair prices with good food, in this off-prime West London venue, means that food which requires intensive preparation and more intricate 'finishing' needs to be kept off the menu...but then you still get great tasting, healthy vegan food at fantastic value for money! That suits me fine in any veg*n restaurant/cafe/pub that I eat in - moreover, at lunchtime, (12noon to 3pm), during the week and at weekends, a buffet is provided.

The buffet contains hot and cold dishes - the price is £7.50 and it is an 'all you can eat' buffet. I hear from so many veg*n friends that the 'pay per weight' of each plate at Tibits is expensive and the 'all you can eat' Chinese-based vegan food buffet joints serve unhealthy MSG laden food, but absolutely no such worries at '222' because fairness in food pricing and the healthy content and preparation of food, (no frying or micro-waving), at '222' are the values central to this vegan restaurant.

I hear through the grapevine that Ben is looking to open a gourmet vegan restaurant in London too, but until that happens, go and enjoy the great vegan food here. It is 5 minutes walk from West Brompton tube station, although there is meter-parking during the day, (free street parking after 6:30pm and on Sunday), and the restaurant accepts credit cards. No excuse not to go, but the restaurant contains about 40 seats, so you should reserve a table if going with friends at busy times. Enjoy!

Pros: Healthy vegan food, Fair prices, Great vegan desserts!

Hmmm... - Edit

Having read some of the other reviews I wonder if we just had a bad experience, but having had such a terrible meal there, I am in no rush to go back and find out. We ate off the menu in the evening. The venue was pleasant enough, as were the staff and my starter was okay. The rest of the food was very mundane and not very nice, and my desert was inedible (supposedly a pancake) except for the clearly shop bought vegan ice cream. Plenty of other options in London that are easier to get to, I'm afraid I won't be giving 222 a second chance.

Pros: Other people like it!

Cons: Not very nice food.

Carrot Tarte! - Edit

Very friendly little restaurant. Ben the head chef is a nice host. The buffet is delicious and the carrot tarte is the best food there.

after a delicious meal u have to try the ice cream. yummy yummy !!!

Pros: Carrot Tarte, Ben, Mood

Cons: Little local

Contributions +33

Good food - Edit

We came here for a late lunch and found that the buffet was a little sparse at that time, however, the food seemed healthy and the staff friendly.

It feels a little bit alternative in here - Bob Marley playing in the background, alternative lifestyle leaflets on the tables, hippyish looking clientele etc.

I would like to come back to sample their a la carte menu as I think having a late lunch buffet properly didn't reflect how good the food would be fresh.

Pros: Friendly staff, Healthy food

Cons: Atmosphere is a bit 'alternative'

Great Food - Edit

I visited early on a Tuesday evening. I had the Tofu Pancakes, the Seitan Stroganov and the Spice Island Pie all of them excellent. Particularly the Spice Island Pie which was completely not what I expected (more like cheesecake than a pie) but really delicious. There was some added entertainment of the staff working out how to seat a table of 15 without moving there incumbant single customer.

Pros: Excellent Food, 100% Vegan, Excellet Wine

very nice buffet - Edit

The interior is a bit smaller and definitely less posh than the Web
site suggested, but nevertheless pleasant enough. I've only had the
lunch buffet, but it's both healthy and delicious: the hot offerings
are good and there's a variety of fresh salads. The food it on the
bland side, but it tasted good enough that I didn't try to find ways
to heat it up. At least for the lunch buffet, they make simple things
simply, and succeed, unlike some cleverer places.

Pros: fresh and healthy, not expensive, friendly staff

Cons: a bit far from central London

Worth the journey / Great tasty food :) - Edit

Having been a vegan living in London for the last 15 years, I've been to near enough every vegan restaurant / cafe there is, and I have to say that 222 is my favorite by far!
Ben the passionate vegan owner (originally from Ghana) serves up a delicious & very healthy vegan dishes
All of which is low-fat, low-salt and non-GM.
from 12.00-3.30 there is a lunch buffet, If your going there for the first time you have to try Bens carrot tart (a bit like vegan quiche) its absolutely delicious!
Also in the lunch buffet there is normally a healthy selection of salads, a stir frys, and a curry (my favorite is the Indian style Chana masala )
The lunch buffet is very reasonably priced at £7.50 (All you can eat :)
Then in the evening there is an A la carte menu which again has a great section of choices.
There is a deserts are great too, they range from chocolate cake with vegan ice cream to raw vegan deserts to apple crumble!
I live about an hours tube journey to 222, but the journey time for me doesn't come into it as I always enjoy my meal so much there.

Great restaurant! - Edit

This is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. Very good food, quite healthy and tasty. Definitely try the desserts, they are absolutely amazing. It's not cheap, but neither is it that expensive. Very friendly service; we were in London for a week and ate several times. On our last day, the owner personally came and talked with us and gave us a free dessert!

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy and nutritious

Tasty Stuff - Edit

t wasn't the easiest place to find or get to by the tube. I had to walk 15 minutes each way from the tube in the pouring rain. The food was homey and good, though! To start I had cream of asparagus soup with bread and garlic bread. For my main dish, I had seitan stroganoff.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/10/vegan-london-part-three.html

Good restaurant - Edit

Delicious vegan food - lunch buffet for really good value. Very tasty and interesting. Service very friendly and nice. I would recommend to visit it.

Pros: food, price, service

Highly recommended - Edit

One of the best vegan places in town. I've been there numerous times and the food is always great. The lunchtime buffet is very good value, the evening menu is reasonably pricy - it's not the cheapest place but definitely not outrageously expensive ("you get what you pay for"!).

The soups are always great - the raw avocado soup or the cream of mushroom soup will kick your butt.

Pros: excellent food, independent, but not hippy, pleasant interior

Cons: far away from where I live :)

Fantastic little find - Edit

What a treat! I loved this little restaurant! Nothing terribly fancy, but delicious food and wonderful service. It's not fancy food, but it is all well prepared and a great variety. This is a place where omnis would be comfortable too. (I'm not a fan of "preachy" vegan restaurants, and this one isn't.)

Wine menu is small, but at least there is one! Enjoy a long lingering dinner there.

Pros: All vegan, Many options, Upscale casual

Cons: Crowded

Favourite restaurant in London - Edit

I love this place so much! It's a tiny little restaurant, but it's full of so much deliciousness. I've been going here for years, and I've taken several omnivores here and they've all really liked it as well. The seitan stroganoff is amazing. I also love the wild mushroom pasta and the potato and tofu raclettes. They used to have an avocado pomodoro for a starter, and it's a shame that they've taken it off the menu, because it was divine.

I'm surprised to hear that some people think that the portions were too small. I've always thought they were quite large, actually.

The service can be a little forgetful, but they are polite and seem eager to please.

While I don't have problems with wheat or gluten, I've noticed that they seem to have paid special attention to gluten free options.

Pros: Amazing food, Good portions, Considerate of special requirements

Highly recommended vegan restaurant - Edit

I have been to 222 Veggie Vegan twice - first for a lunchtime buffet and second for an evening a la carte dinner. I really loved both experiences.

It is fairly small and cosy with a white interior and fun bright oil paintings. The restaurant is on a road where you wouldn't expect to find a vegan restaurant. The service was very friendly, and the food was mostly delicious. They have a good selection of organic and vegan wines, including very reasonably priced house wines (GBP 14.50 for a bottle).

I will review the a la carte dinner as that was my most recent experience. I went for my boyfriend's birthday dinner and there were 5 of us so we got to try a variety of dishes.

For starters we had:
- a cream of mushroom soup and homemade bread (daily special): Incredible. Best mushroom soup I have had since becoming vegan 3 years ago. Great texture and rich taste of blend of different mushrooms.
- cold avocado soup: bit of a gamble but it was a nice and refreshing alternative to a gazpacho
- bean and tofu pancake: delicious
- lentil peak: compared to the other starters, we felt this was average.

For mains:
- Oyster mushroom and spinach raclette: Simply incredible with a lovely combination of textures (potato, mushroom, spinach and tofu). This was our favourite dish
- Vegan roast: OK, vegetables were tasty, tomato based gravy, slightly smaller than the others
- 222 Burger: OK
- Seitan strogannof : Tasted great with the rich flavours of mushrooms and the seitan worked really well with the sauce but tasted similar to the mushroom soup. So wouldn't recommend getting both the mushroom soup and this strogannof dish unless you really love mushrooms!

For dessert:
- 222 pancake: Very good, made from wholewheat flour, didn't feel too sugary and still yummy with the vanilla and chocolate sauce
- Chocolate gateau: Good
- Tofu cheesecake: This was yummy but tasted more like an apple pie than a cheesecake so wouldn't go for this if you are after a regular cheesecake

Generally, I like that you can see into the kitchen. The head chef is very friendly and often comes to speak to people about the dishes. It is also very reasonably priced for a London vegan restaurant making original dishes.

Pros: delicious food, reasonably priced, friendly atmosphere

Cons: not very central, some dishes average

Not so much.. - Edit

I was pretty hungry by the time we made it to 222(It's a good hike from the closest Tube station, as some other reviewers noted). My food was tasty enough, but my wife's food was very bland. The service was good and our food did come quickly, but the portions left something to be desired. The plates were around 11 Pounds each, and I unfortunately left hungry. If I find myself in London again I don't think I'll be returning here to give it a second shot.

Pros: Good service, All vegan

Cons: Pricey, Small portions

Vegan food to go... - Edit

Phoned an evening order in, it was ready for collection upon arrival and was well packaged (so no spills). Food was tasty, still warm, though as others have noted portions were not huge.

Pros: great food, healthy cuisine, dessert

Cons: portions on the smaller side

Good food, but boring place - Edit

Went here for a dinner with my boyfriend. In a bit of a rough area near Chelsea, but people were happy as the Chelsea football club won that night...

Ended up having the oyster mushroom and spinach raclette. Very tasty and presented very nicely, but a bit pricey if you ask me.

Also, there was no real personality or atmosphere to this place. Pretty boring and bland...elevator music playing, plain/drab decor, nothing like the other alternative-style veggie places I've been to.

Pros: food, service

Cons: expensive, no ambience/boring, maybe trying to be too posh

Take away - good food but a small portion - Edit

Today we had the take away from 222 restauran. It's not very expensive £5.00/box. Food is very good however the boxes are quit small (500ml). I was still hungry after eating my portion.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff

Cons: small portions

Great place to eat - Edit

We found this place thanks to the Happy Cow Android App during our trip to the UK from New Zealand (although I am originally from the UK), having had a far from good culinary experience during our travels ie bland curries, non authentic chinese food etc etc, this place was a breath of fresh air.
The food was very well presented, tasty and well cooked and the service was delightful and they even helped out with our 1 year old.
Access was a breeze from central london on the tube, just 1 change needed and a short walk from either 1 of 2 nearby tube stations.
The menu was excellent with a good mix of familiar and more unusual fare and was it very clear on what was organic, raw, gluten free etc.
The food was a little slow but its freshly cooked a la carte so not unexpected and servings although not massive were satifying (quality over quantity)
For quality of food they are heading to be on par with Demuths in Bath and if we were i