2 Wives Brick Oven Pizza

Contact 860-447-9337

45 Huntington St, New London, Connecticut, USA, 06320

Serves meat, vegan options available. Pizzeria with a full bar. Has Daiya vegan cheese. Mon-Wed 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm, Thu-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Lacto, Pizza, Italian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by pisceschic

Not coming back. - Edit

I got vegan cheese and gluten free crust. When they brought my pizza to me it had tiny sprinkles of cheese, barely any really. So I asked why my pizza had barely any cheese and the waiter stated that is what they do with vegan cheese. I told him that I wanted cheese on my pizza, especially since I pay extra for vegan cheese. I was brought back pizza that was so over cooked that I had a hard time even biting it. I sent the pizza back and I am going to eat somewhere else. I hope no one else comes here as hangry as I am.

Pros: They have a couple things for vegan to eat., The wait staff is wonderful.

Cons: They can't make a gluten free vegan pizza.

Very tasty! - Edit

RE: the last review about the gluten-free crust being vegan (and thus somehow warranting a 1-star review)—fortunately, all of the other crusts are vegan, and there's plenty of variety.

My favorite is the Thai Chicken, with broccoli instead of chicken, and vegan cheese (Daiya). It's outrageously good!

Nice beer selection, too.

Gluten free crust is not vegan - Edit

questionable whether or not any of their crusts are vegan...

delicious! - Edit

Had great options for a vegan and were also very accommodating. Had a delicious salad with strawberries, pear, and baby spinach followed by a vegan cheese pie with vegetables. They also said they would create a vegan dessert if I wished. Service was awesome! Highly recommend.

good vegan cheese on whole wheat crust pizza - Edit

2 Wives offers a vegan cheese option, because one of the wives is a lapsed vegan. Her cooks initially were even trained to wipe clean the cutter before slicing vegan cheese pizzas! Plus, and this indeed is a big plus, 2 Wives offers the option of whole wheat crust, though with a surcharge. After the restaurant had been open more than a year, I finally succumbed to curiosity (not temptation!) and in the interest of donating my body to science, I tried their pizza with vegan cheese and whole wheat crust. It evoked distinct memories of the pizza shop pie I ate as a reckless teenager before I became vegan in 1970. You can decide if such standard fare is good (or bad). But wait! It gets better (or worse). With the advent of a new co-owner, they switched brands of vegan cheese from Daiya to Follow Your Heart. The improvement is substantial, as FYH has a subtle but agreeable flavor, whereas Daiya tastes only of salt. Regrettably, however, 2 Wives run out of stock of either their vegan cheese or their whole wheat crust fully half the times I have attempted to eat there. What makes this not merely disappointing but also annoying is the waiters or waitresses would just stand around literally “doing nothing” when one of them could have walked one block away to Fiddleheads natural foods coop, which stocks both brands of vegan cheese. When both the vegan cheese and the whole wheat crust are in stock, they really do get their pizza right, else why would I eat here nearly once a month, or rather, try? Because now I know to ask if both are available before I even sit down, and if one is unavailable, I simply turn around and leave, though I have a hard time convincing my dining companions to do the same.

Now that CT has legalized same sex unions, and because New London has garnered notoriety for welcoming gay culture, one might think that 2 Wives Pizza is owned by a lesbian couple, but nope, they just happened to have blundered upon a very poor choice for a name of a restaurant, same as did Amazonian-sounding ManGetOut. In fact, in 2011, one of the wives even sold her share of the partnership to a third party, a male, so someday in tune with the times the remaining wife just might rename the place 1 Wife or 2 Divorcees or Ménage à Trois.

In any case and by whatever name, 2 Wives is a fine and fun place to eat.

Pros: vegan cheese pizza, whole wheat crust pizza, private parking lot

Cons: vegan cheese is often out of stock, whole wheat crust is often out of stock, occasional crabby wait staff

Delicious food and wonderful staff - Edit

2 Wives has great vegan options for pizza, salad, and appetizers. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly about discussing vegan dishes.

Pros: Affordable, Delicious, Beer and wine selection

Cons: Some items not labeled vegan, No plant-based meats

Return to New London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has 2 Wives Brick Oven Pizza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1375 times since Feb 2014.