• Veg-friendly
Contact 504-942-1345

517 Frenchmen St, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70116

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers sandwiches, breakfast items, and pizza. Has a few vegetarian options like a BBQ tofu sandwich. Limited vegan options, now has vegan mayonaise.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by deadsiemusie

Cute bar, great vegan options - Edit

This bar is located on Frenchmen St. and is a great option for vegetarians and vegans! They offer some pretty awesome tofu sandwiches, vegan mayo, and tater tots! The service could be a little more attentive, but didn't ruin the experience. All in all, great little bar to enjoy some food and drinks!

Pros: Vegan bar food

Go Early for Great Choices - Edit

This place is great but late at night, the menu gets very limited. How can you pass up Nachos made from Tater Tots?

During the day when it isn't crowded, you get a menu with lots of veg options and great service.

It's a great choice if you're going to a club on Frenchman St.

Pros: Tater Tatchos, Full Bar, Close to Frenchman St. clubs

Cons: Limited late night menu

Friendly and Delish!! - Edit

It looks like a typical, small bar but the vegan menu is plentiful. Usually, I (and my fellow vegans) have one or two items to choose from but there were many more here. I had a delicious tofu sandwich and tater tots. The prices are very reasonable and the staff (one cook and one bartender) very friendly. Score!! Ps They even have vegan mayo = unheard of!!

Pros: Vegan options are plentiful, Vegan mayo, too!, Friendly!!

Cons: Yucky bathrooms - just squat haha

Excellent Plan B - Edit

After an obnoxious attempt to go to Feelings Cafe that eventually involved a pedi cab, we arrived to realize the damn place was closed on Mondays. Opening my trusty HC app I found the nearest next place to eat- 13. Situated along Frenchman street, famous for it's live music, we settled into the fairly quiet bar for cocktails and dinner. The menu is brief- more bar than food- but the options for vegans didn't disappoint. I ordered the BBQ tofu sandwich with vegan mayo (major perk!) and sipped my drink. After we ordered but before our food came out I noticed a writing board listing vegan red beans and rice for a paltry $5. Score! I added that my ordered. The sandwich had a perfect combo of toppings including pickles and tomato, served on crusty and perfectly chewey French bread. Sure, the bread itself was most of the sandwich, but together it was so good I can overlook it. The red beans Nd rice was good- not great. Once I salted them the flavor was really enhanced, thinking they were just under seasoned. This is a great option to make a night of true N'awlins live music and have a great diner-style creole dinner. Prices were reasonable too- for my sandwich and beans, my moms sandwich, and three cocktails, we paid a paltry $46 and that includes the tip.

Pros: vegan mayo

Quick, laid back meal - Edit

We stopped in for a late night dinner. For a bar, we were pretty pleased with the vegetarian options. A few things are not vegan but can be made vegan by omitting the cheese. I had the tofu herb sandwich. It wasn't spectacular, but certainly satisfied my hunger. My husban had the mushroom Philly and really enjoyed it. They have a good beer selection and the service was pretty good, too.

Pros: Laid back, Speedy service

great casual bite - Edit

I would recommend 13 for lunch or perhaps a quick bite between sets at the many music venues nearby. It's a very informal bar where you order at the bar and the bartender brings out your meal. Two tofu sandwiches, tator tots, and perhaps a couple of other vegan options, not tons. Certainly worth a stop for visitors, especially if in the neighborhood. I also appreciated that I could drag my non-veggie friends here with ease.

Pros: good for mixed crowds, bbq tofu sandwich, tator tots

Cons: few vegan options

Wonderful!!!!!! - Edit

This was a wonderful find and we loved everything. I got a tofu herb sandwich and oh my goodness it was great. One thing, you might want to remind the waiter to cook you food away from meet. My tummy hurt for a couple of hours but that's my fault because I forgot to say something. Enjoy this wonderful find!!!!

Pros: Great food, Service was wonderful

Good vegan cusine - Edit

We were impressed with the vegan menu and how the staff goes out of their way to accomodate vegan requests. Lots of good food, service is friendly.

Pros: Good food, Good selection, Good service

Decent food, bad service - Edit

The food here is ok, the BBQ Tofu poboy is always a good choice. Don't expect pleasant or speedy service here. The bartenders can be a little surly.

Pros: Good Vegan Selection, Good Tofu

Cons: Bad service, pricey

delicious - Edit

13 is a wonderful place and has a vegan dish offered daily (as well as has many options on the menu). They are very accommodating and have veganaise. If they had vegan cheese it would be a plus! I'm not vegan but my partner is, and they are always satisfied. They have goodies for carnivores too. My only complaint is that the bartender is the server too, and the blonde one isn't friendly at all. We always tip her well but she doesn't pay much attention to the tables and is normally very unfriendly. More staff would be better!

Pros: excellent food, vegan options, atmosphere

Cons: better wait service

Good combination of menu, location, and vibe - Edit

13 is a delightful little place close enough to, but just outside of, the main tourist drag. I went for the black bean veggie burger, which was better than I expected (and is baked rather than fried -- a nice touch). Local brews on tap were a nice addition. The service is...let's call it Slacker Casual -- I wouldn't go there if I were in a hurry. But I didn't experience any surliness or attitude (as some reviewers on other sites have complained about); to the contrary, everyone was very friendly.

13 sits on the site of New Orleans's former only all-veg place, Old Dog New Tricks, and one of the employees told me the idea was to keep that veg-friendliness while expanding the menu to appeal to mixed groups. While an additional veggie item or two wouldn't have hurt, they certainly have succeeded in being a good destination for vegetarians combined with a very pleasant vibe.

The storefront is a bit hard to find: the sign is hard to read, and up-front it looks like a bar (which it is). It's pretty dark inside, but in an attractive sort of way.

Pros: taste + health, vibe, location (for visitors)

Cons: over-relaxed service

Finally found a meal without sausage - Edit

I researched HappyCow prior to leaving for NOLA, and am glad I did, as we may never have found 13 otherwise. The sign is a little difficult to read, but once you know the neighborhood, it's very easy to find. This was literally the only place we found with vegan food (to be fair, we passed the African restaurant every day, but never stopped in). They have a delicious vegan BBQ tofu sandwich on the menu, as well as a couple more vegan options, written on the sandwich board out front. The inside is a little dark, and does feel more like a bar, but the server was SUPER friendly, and the food is reasonably priced. For those of you hoping to eat a po' boy while in NO, this is the place to do it. This restaurant is not technically in the French Quarter, rather it's located in the Marigny, but less than a five-minute walk from Royal and Esplanade. It was so satisfying to finally find a meal we could eat, without worrying if it was cooked with sausage.

Pros: Friendly, Tasty, Large Portions

Great Food Nice Enviornment - Edit

Stopped in to get out of the rain and realized I stumbled into 13 which I had heard a lot about so decided to sample the menu. I was a little concerned at first as it seemed to be a bar first that served food as an afterthought but was surprised to see the variety of veggie options on the menu and excited to find that the food tasted great and arrived fast and fresh. The server/bartender was friendly, the place was a little dark but cozy, prices were pretty reasonable, will definitely go back.

Pros: Lots of Veggie Options, Price, Friendly Staff/Good Service

Convenient and tasty - Edit

I was at a show in the Quarter one day and was starving, not too many options at the time (It was at the Dragon's Den, but before Bamboo opened), and a friend told me about 13. Me and a friend went over there, I was able to find something (and not just settle for something) delicious and vegan, and the price wasn't too bad. I'd definitely eat there again.

Pros: Vegan options, Good location

A taste of New Orleans - Edit

Given the limited vegan options in New Orleans, the menu and flavors were a welcome treat. So often we don't get to taste the local flavors because we have to stick to the usual Indian, Thai, etc. restaurants. The menu has vegan options, including a tofu bbq sandwhich. I'm rating this a little higher than usual for a mixed meat/veg*n menu, but it's a welcome treat to be able to experience local dishes, veg*n style, where there are a lot of locals.

Pros: local cuisine, juke box, Near famous jazz clubs

Cons: smokers

Thought it was safe - Edit

We were in NOLA last year before Cafe Bamboo opened, so our choices were limited. We had not looked into 13 before coming, so when someone on Frenchmen St told us that they had vegan food, we had to go. We checked at 13 and everything seemed fine. We enjoyed having a beer and having some sandwiches with tator tots. I'm now disturbed to read the review below. :-(

Pros: Beer and sandwiches

Cons: not vegan???

vegans beware - Edit

great bar- great staff
the problem i have with 13 is that i'm never really certain that what i'm eating is vegan... for years i ordered the tater tots with my tofu sandwiches or vegan chilli, only to find out that all this time they were not actually vegan. also, their barbecue sauce turns out to not be vegan either! who knows? maybe the person working that day just did not want my business? i dont eat there anymore.

Pros: beer

Cons: questionable vegan food

Tasty! - Edit

Super tasty and only 2 blocks from the French Quarter, 13 has been the apple of my eye since I moved to New Orleans. The all baked no fried menu, along with the amazing tofu dishes and soups make this a great place to hang out.

Pros: late hours

Cons: busy street

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has 13 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5199 times since Sep 2008.