CLOSED: 100% Veggie Restaurant

Contact +31641369456

Kleine Houtstraat 86, Haarlem, Netherlands, 2011DR

Opened in summer 2013, this place makes Indian and international vegetarian food. Offers a variety of energy drinks, house-made chai, and vitalized water. No eggs or alcohol. SHUT DOWN MAR 2014 PER ITS FB PAGE. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Ton

Fair - but good Thali if you don't like it spicy - Edit

"100% Veggie" is a fairly new place with a good choice of dishes and friendly service in walking distance from the main sights in the city center, close to Frans-Hals museum.

They use organic ingredients, but not exclusively. The menu is international, they have, for example, burritos, enchiladas, Greek salad, Thali, ... Although they do have quite a high percentage of Indian dishes (the chef is from India) none of their dishes is spicy which I found a bit of a pity because I really love spicy Indian food. They offered me to have my dish made spicy, I agreed and then I got some plastic bottle of some standard spicy sauce (from the supermarket I guess) so I could do it myself. That was not really my idea of authentic healthy Indian food. But for the rest the food was quite nice, especially the vegan Thali dishes.

The labeling in the menu is quite confusing: dishes are labelled as "vegan" but some of them contain, e.g., raita (a yogurt-based condiment) and in those case the label just means they leave non-vegan ingredients out on request. Unfortunately just leaving out ingredients often destroys the balance of a dish...

A "special": we got some water - I assumed free tap water because that is what it tasted like - served in beautiful carafes. When we got the bill I discovered that it was considered some type of "energized water" and not really cheap. Later I saw on their website that they claim the carafes are very special and turn water into healing water. Something I personally do not believe in, but did not want to argue about this. I think such things should be announced up front, with the option to get regular tap water in a regular carafe for free which is quite common in Dutch restaurants. Also the ginger beer I ordered was no ginger beer but a not-so-big-glass of "Bionade" (a common organic brand) ginger-orangedrink, a drink I like but it was far away from what I know as "ginger beer" and it was overpriced.

So far I have been there only once and I will probably pass by again when I am around - but I won't take a detour just to get here...

Pros: nice vegan thali, friendly staff

Cons: confusing labeling, no spicy food, water not free

Nice - Edit

Nice vegetarian restaurant with vegan options.

The cook worked for a couple of years for the Golden Temple in Amsterdam. That shows, food is of the same quality.

While eating you can watch who goes in the sex store right opposite of the restaurant.

Pros: Vegan, Friendly staff

Return to Haarlem Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: 100% Veggie Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 755 times since Sep 2013.