CLOSED: 100 Percent Vegan

• Veg Shop Veg Shop
  • Vegan

Contact +44-1216335539

56 Allison Street, Digbeth, Birmingham, England, B5 5TH

100% Vegan store opened in Jan 2014; replaced the previous One Earth Shop. Stocks a varied range of products, from food and snacks and cooking ingredients to household products. Offers fresh vegan baked cakes and breads. SEPT 2015 BIZ SOLD AND CHANGED TO Natural Healthy Foods - see that listing. Open Tue-Sat 10:00am-7:00pm.

First Review by niallmc

I don't know what I'd do without this place - Edit

Now called "Natural Healthy Food" after a major refurb, I'm really looking forward to my first trip back to the new look store.

I discovered this fantastic little shop recently when I called in after eating at the (equally brilliant) Warehouse Cafe. Despite already having eaten pudding (a rare event) I had to have some of the Bakewell tart.

This shop sells a great range of vegan food, much of which I have never seen elsewhere and the range is expanding. The owner is a lovely chap who is full of helpful information and always happy to chat.

I occasionally buy my (non-vegan) friends and colleagues the lovely cakes sold here and they all disappear.

There are also tonnes of gluten-free options, a lifesaver (literally!) for a coeliac like me.

The prices are pretty good for a "real" store when compared to 100% vinternet shopping.

I couldn't recommend this place enough.

Pros: 100% vegan!, Gluten free foods, Cakes!

Cons: If only it were bigger!

Great little store - Edit

We came here 1.5 years ago when it was the One Earth Shop. It was great, we got some chocolates, cupcakes and pasteries. Not sure what they have now, but sure looking to go there again.

Pros: Vegan Vegan Vegan

Awesome little store, excellent service. - Edit

Whilst visiting Birmingham for a week to see an old buddy, we never thought we might be so lucky to find a great little shop.

There was an awesome range of substitutions, which we don't usually eat but bought to try with omni friends. (The ice cream they sell is so freaking great) I'm not sure what people have meant by the place being dirty, it's just a tiny shop in an old building...a bit rustic, but hey, maybe I'm not so fussy!!

There were two major selling points which brought us back every day. One, crazy cheap pre-prepared food. GF pizza slices, pasties, pies, all for about £1.50 and super tasty. The second was the super nice shopkeeper. Not only does he support other local ventures (sending us to Grindhouse Vegan and Digbeth Diners Club) but he was also very generous, and gave us some sneaky tidbits just before the Easter weekend close.

If you need vegan subs, nooch, snacks or lunch, I'd absolutely give this place a go.

Pros: Vegan creme egg at Easter!, Sausage rolls mmmmm, Lots of options

Dirty - Edit

I had high hopes for this place, but once I went inside the shop I disocovered it was filthy. It didn't look like the floors or shelves were ever cleaned. The shop actually has a 1 out of 5 food hygiene rating from the food hygiene standards council, which means serious improvement is needed.

I bought some chocolate and cake anyway, but I had to wait for service, and when I did eventually get to buy it, I was apalled at how expensive it was. I know specialist vegan business usually has to charge a high price but come on!

When I ate the cake it turned out to be terrible; I could have made better cake myself. On top of that I realised the same chocolate was sold in Sainsburys just down my road for a much much cheaper price.

I'd also thought the profits of this shop went to vegan
causes like for some vegan business, but apparently it all just goes to the owner.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Sorry

Cons: Filthy, Expensive, Not as ethical as could be

Good range of products and very helpful staff - Edit

Bought Vego (yummiest vegan chocolate ever), squirty vegan cream, a cream egg and a piece of bakewell tart...

Also asked for recommendations for a vegan curry...the gentleman gave that (Pangaea, Poplar Road, Kings Heath) and more...so helpful.

Will go here every time we are in Birmingham.

Pros: Choice, Price

Cons: Not in my home town :(

great selection. needs a tidy up - Edit

Overall this is a wonderful shop offering many much needed vegan products. Being new to a fully vegan diet I am appreciating substitutes. I picked up some ice cream, chocolate, cheese and other items. I am pleased with them and they had good dates.

The salesman seemed a little unprepared however with many items still boxed and more effort into general presentation would be of benefit to the store. These are merely 'constructive criticisms' however and I would be happy to return.

Pros: vegan substitutes, product range, product quality

Cons: general appearance, price (understandable)

A joyful experience - Edit

100% vegan shop

Don't be fooled by the name (or rather it is what is says on the tim) it may not be an imaginative title for a shop but the stock is full of imagination. Vegan cheese everywhere, vegan chocolate, fridge full of vegan cake, freezer of vegan ice cream. Every city should have one if these. It is amazing. Well stocked and great selection. If you are looking to stock up on anything vegan then go here. Vegans won't be disappointed.

Pros: Great selection of food, All Vegan, Friendly staff

Cons: Small

Return to Birmingham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: 100 Percent Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.