Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi,

I've previously done some research on vegan friendly cars & I'd love to expand on this. Can any of you answer a couple of questions at all?

Thanks! :)

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by RachelHellon at 08/19/15 02:06:58

Here are the questions:

• Would you prefer to know exactly what each component of your car is made out of?

• Is the car buying process difficult because you are a vegan? Do you get treated differently because of it?

• Would having leather seats in a car put you off buying it?

• Does being vegan make it difficult when it comes to things like buying a car?

• Does not having a vegan friendly car bother you? Should it?

• Would you consider an electric car despite the higher costs?

• When cleaning your car, do you only use animal friendly cleaning products? If so, what are they?

• As a vegan, what are your go to snacks for those long drives out in the car?

• What do you have most issue with, animal fats being used in the production of steel and rubber, or the use of leather within the car?

• Do you think all cars should come with cruelty-free options? Do you think they ever will?

• Have you got any tips for fellow vegans when it comes to car buying?

• Report Abuse

Posted by savetheanimals at 08/19/15 11:51:20

Would you prefer to know exactly what each component of your car is made out of? Of course.

• Would having leather seats in a car put you off buying it? Yes. I am vegan so, I do not buy murdered animals.

• Would you consider an electric car despite the higher costs? Yes

• What do you have most issue with, animal fats being used in the production of steel and rubber, or the use of leather within the car? Using animal products at all is bad. We can choice to not use any of them. http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=19090 Michelin tires are vegan http://www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom/780-can-you-own-a-car-and-be-a-vegan
    • Do you think all cars should come with cruelty-free options? Do you think they ever will?
    I think as more people become vegan the demand will eventually force all car manufactures who want to stay in business to offer vegan options.

• Have you got any tips for fellow vegans when it comes to car buying? Be a real vegan. Buy 100% vegan.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Stevie at 08/19/15 19:25:47

Hi savetheanimals & indeed Rachel,

This is interesting, the 2 links attached in particular. I've been in discussions with people before about vegan car components & indeed quoted the example of stearic acid used in processing rubber. What about paint? Various colourants are animal derived. Also egg shell gets used in some paints. Whether any of these are used in car paints I've no idea.

Also if you want to extend the question of the ethical content of the components, what about animal testing? I know someone who works for a paint company who says he believes all their paints are free from animal products. He said though that they have to be tested on animals. I think this may have been for legislative reasons 9I'm not sure). This was over a decade ago and legislation changes as well as varying from one place to another.

Regards,
    Stevie

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 08/31/15 04:24:01

Cars can never be truly vegan. Even if all the parts of a car are vegan, the fact is that a car takes one away from the direct experience of the surrounding environment. You can't avoid running over insects and other small unseen creatures. It is harder to avoid hitting a wild animal on the road. Vehicles are dangerous and can kill if the owner driving it is not constantly careful and vigilant, and accidents can still happen. Vehicles take up space, cause noise pollution, and require roads.

Walking and cycling are so much better for one's health, the environment, and animals. However, they are not as fast and convenient and one still has to deal with sometimes harsh environments (ice, snow, cold, rain, etc). It takes more planning and work to haul groceries, laundry etc but can be done by foot or cycling.

A compromise would be to share transportation with others, whether by public transportation or carpooling and sharing your vehicle. Not every human on the planet needs to own their own vehicle, and sooner or later we are going to have no choice but to find other means of travel. There are too many cars on the road as it is. And planes, trains etc.

That said, if one does want a vehicle, there are still choices to make as far as avoiding leather and so on. There is no perfect "pure" motor vehicle, but one can still be vegan by choosing the least harm they can as far as what went into the making of that vehicle.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support