Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Important info!

http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/08/celiac-notes-op.html
Dr Charles Parker
Celiac Notes: Opiate Withdrawal from Gluten and Casein?
Opiate withdrawal from discontinuing gluten and casein? Cautionary note: sounds absurd until you see it.
You might want to warn gluten sensitive, celiac and casein sensitive patients about this odd and painful clinical phenomenon: Withdrawal after stopping wheat or milk products can be painful, exhausting, and depressing, with weakness, anger, and brain fog.
I have a very interesting and refractory client in Ohio who has struggled for years with a variety of severe reactions to psych meds, suicidal depression, mercury toxicity, and became completely regressed on previous withdrawal of Prozac before I saw him in DC. With autoimmune issues in abundance and at times psychotic like feelings of loosing control we tested him for gluten/casein sensitivity, hit pay dirt with positive findings, and asked him to go on a gluten free/casein free diet [GFCF is the acronym].
He felt remarkably better at first, better than he had in years, then the withdrawal set in. Having had previous experience with addictive opiates prescribed for pain, he recognized signs of withdrawal immediately. First a note on the opiate receptors from Great Plains Laboratory:
The peptides from gluten [gliadorphin] and casein [casomorphin] are important because the react with opiate receptors in the brain, thus mimicking the effects of opiate drugs like heroin and morphine. These compounds have been shown to react with areas of the brain such as the temporal lobes, which are involved in speech and auditory integration.
Children with autism frequently seem addicted to wheat and dairy products. Presumably, people with Autism and schizophrenia incompletely digest wheat and dairy products. These incompletely digested peptides are then absorbed into the body and bind to opiate receptors, altering behavior and other physiological reactions. .

And one more reference here:
Below is from the book "Dangerous Grains" by Ron Hoggan

The addictive nature of gluten is often overlooked. For some, the first days and weeks of following a gluten-free diet are characterized by food cravings, disorientation, irritability, sleepiness, depression, mental fogginess, fatigue, and/or shortness of breath.

If you are a member of this group, the very fact that you are experiencing many of these symptoms should reinforce the need to exclude gluten from your diet. These are common symptoms of withdrawal of detoxification from gluten-derived opioid and brain neurochemical imbalances. The evidence suggests that about 70 percent of celiac patients will experience these symptoms when beginning a strict gluten-free diet.
See other withdrawal comments at Celiac Forums and the Gluten Free Forum.
The take-home appears simple: if these symptoms occur, do go more slowly on the GFCF diet, respect the withdrawal process and support other nutritional and physiologic activities.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=28829&sid=c12005c7018b0db5df738959e85fa6ab
Cheese DOES contain adicting substances!
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:53 pm by LuAnn

---------------------------------------------

A lot of good suggestions have been made, and references given to resources that are very persuasive tools for disuading one to use cheese and other dairy. (For me, perhaps the statement by Robert Cohen that Dairy (read, cheese) is liquid meat!.) However, in addition to other points that have already been shared, there is another element that I don't believe has been brought up in this thread.
Forgive me, I haven't learned yet how to use the "Quote" feature when posting, but calla said: "I realized that cheese is like a drug to me."
For some, cheese truly CAN be experienced "like a drug", causing literal addiction! If possible, read what Dr. Barnard says in the chapter, "Opiates on a Cracker: The Cheese Seduction" in his book, Breaking the Food Seduction. I can't begin to cover it all here, but will try to touch on some of the high points.
He reasons that cheese's attraction is not mainly due to taste or smell, but its opiates! Milk has been found to have traces of morphine and codeine. The protein, casein (mentioned in other comments), also present in milk, releases additional opiates when broken apart in digestion!
BTW, CHEESE contains far more casein than is found in cows milk.
In individuals sensitive to opiates, cheese can literally BE ADDICTING. My understanding is that these individuals may actually feel physiologically driven to seek one cheese "hit" after another, in order to experience the pleasurable sensations caused by the opiates.
If this is the case, then in addition to viewing and listening all of the very persuasive materials listed above, some individuals may need to deal with cheese and other foods containing addictive properties (sugar, chocolate, and meat) using some of the same methods used in freeing a drug addict of his/her addiction.

An important reminder from Dr. John McDougal from March 2007 -

The Dairy Industry Remains Unaccountable

Because of their financial power and political connections, the people in the dairy industry can say whatever they want and no one can stop them. Questioning consumers, however, might ask themselves, “Why are humans the only animals that drink milk of another species, and continue to drink it after normal weaning-time?” And “Why would Nature (or our Creator) design us so that in order to get a necessary nutrient, calcium, we must risk our lives?

With a $206.5 million annual budget dedicated to confusing people and covering up the truth for the sake of profits, and with the current political climate, there is no hope of regulating the dairy industry—or more appropriately for such a hazardous substance, outlawing these cow products for human consumption.21 Fortunately, thinking people are freeing themselves and their families from sickness and obesity by learning that human nutritional needs are far removed from those of baby cows.

Taken from here - http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/mar/dairy.htm

These have been posted in the Forum before as a part of a long chat thread - http://www.happycow.net/forum/vegetarian/view_topic.php?id=115

Responses (2)

Report Abuse

Posted by emilyplay at 08/15/08 08:47:01

This is so interesting.

Milk and cheese were so hard for me to give up even though I knew all about the horrible suffering of the cows here in America for a long time.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Bronwethiel at 05/01/09 11:30:48

Yeah...I think I have a cheese addiction. I don't drink milk, so yeah..but I seek out the cheese in pizza/cheesesticks etc to get a feel-good feeling or something...it's like comfort food. X_X

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support