Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I've been eating vegan for 3 weeks and I love it. I've been feeling on top of the world. Really happy. But.... eating vegan is causing my anxiety disorder to scare me. My head felt light and my body felt so weak. I was going to go to the hospital I was so sick with anxiety. Instead, I ate some fish, a boiled egg and a slice of deli roast beef. About 15 minutes or so I those feelings and symptoms were gone. I want to stay vegan but I don't want to feel like I'm losing my mind. Please, I need advice.

Responses (3)

Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 07/08/17 04:13:42

Just stop chewing meat. Replace meat with meat broth. Increase your eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt while you do this. Have broth twice a day, then once a day, then every other day, three times a week, twice a week, once a week, twice a month and finally once a month. Then quit the broth.

Take your time getting off eggs and milk the same way, little by little.

See a medical herbalist and an acupuncturist for anxiety and other health issues but make sure the herbal recipes they give you are vegan. I like Western Herbalists best. They are all state licensed. They can recommend herbal teas, tinctures, pills and foods that reduce anxiety.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 07/08/17 15:32:20

Tracy--Happy to hear you are going vegan & vegetarian. Congratulations on a choice well made. When I decided to be a vegetarian, I did it a little at a time over the course of 10 months. First, I gave up beef, then chicken, then fish, & finally shrimp. All along the way, I just ate small portions of the meat, and increased the vegetables, grains, & fruits. At the time, I also ate packaged veggie foods. It's a shock to your body when you switch up to a new diet and foods. Your body and mind have to adjust.

Also, vegetarians & vegans are more prone to getting low blood sugar issues. Your brain needs the simple sugars from carbohydrates for mental energy & function. I know it's hard these days, but try to eat less refined sugars (in so many processed foods with hidden names). Eat more whole grains and 100% Whole Wheat breads. the way nature makes whole wheat is the kernel and the grain seed are meant to be consumed as a whole. You get this in 100% Whole Wheat bread and grains. It allows your body to process both the kernel and the seed (ground up) and it won't spike your blood sugar (unless there's refined sugar in the bread and how well your body metabolizes sugars). In enriched wheat bread or white bread, you are only getting the grain seed, and your blood sugar will spike & drop. I am in tune with my body, and it "tells" me what it needs. The way I can tell is if I am full of energy or lethargic. I hope this info. helps you. Stay the course. the benefits of a healthier mind and body are more than you ever imagined.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 07/08/17 15:39:00

Tracy--One more thing for the anxiety....Try meditating. Also, chamomile tea is good for relaxing at night. Also, try saying or writing down positive affirmations, like "I am healthy in mind, body, & spirit. I am feeling good. I love myself. " Make your own list.

You are not losing your mind. You just need to get more in control of your mind & life, and you are doing this through a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle change. Best wishes for good health. You have the strength and motivation to do this. Believe in yourself & your abilities. try to find others who are vegetarians or vegans in your area. try vegetarian potluck dinners search or vegetarian societies. Also, if someone in your family is a vegetarian or wants to become one, you need support. It helps a lot.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support