Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi everyone,
I've been vegan for 2 years now and absolutely loving it.
I went vegan as a way to cope with a previous unhealthy relationship with food but with time and after a lot of research, I have become very passionate about animals and the planet and am vegan for these reasons.
However, my family (mostly my parents) are absolutely against it - still to this day.
They believe that I am being intolerant and that they have to change and adapt to my lifestyle and stay quiet but whenever I have to adapt, I am never willing. By this I mean that my parents think it would be fair if I ate animal products out of love for them so that I would be more sociable and accepting. I have never done such thing and as much as I want to make them the happiest parents ever, I just can't imagine myself eating anything non-vegan. On my birthday, I asked my mum if everyone could eat vegan as it would make me extremely happy, but my mum got so mad and said that I was forcing my beliefs onto them and that on her birthday she would make me eat meat and that would be considered the same as them eating vegan.
I have never been able to show my mum documentaries and everything I say apparently comes from 'bad sources' and I am totally brainwashed to her eyes. My mum cries a lot about the fact that I am vegan and she says she is suffering and that it is too difficult for her.
My parents believe in humane slaughter and that eating eggs is ok because it's not killing anything.
I have tried everything to share my knowledge but without any success.
I don't know what to do because this is really affecting my relationship with my parents and I don't want to hurt them but at the same time I am so hurt that they think I am doing this on purpose/that I am intolerant/ that me eating meat is the same as them having to eat vegan. I would just love to find a way to make them understand that truth from an objective point of view because whenever it comes from me or a website they lack trust.
Does anyone have advice?

Responses (1)

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 07/01/17 00:12:50

This sounds like the sort of emotional distress humans experience when their world has been turned upside down. And by that, I mean you have obviously given them a lot of information that may have had a much more profound impact than you think. They most likely are having a hard time accepting that animals and the planet and their health have suffered when deep down they might be compassionate people. My advice would be to drop it.
    Not to drop veganism, just drop the discussion of it around your parents. If you're not already living in your own, your time living under the same roof as them will be a relative blink of an eye. You don't want it to be filled with hostility. Perhaps they will slowly come around on their own terms. Learn to cook and prepare your own meals. Note that mom might have feelings of not being needed if you do that. That's the perfect opportunity to tell her how she can help you.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support