Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

This year, Thanksgiving is being scheduled at my house. We are going to do a potluck style, but I feel awful that my family who will be coming over is not vegan, and they are bringing a turkey. At home, my husband, my daughter and I are vegans. I don't know how to handle this situation. It is very hard for me, even though my son is not a vegan who lives at home with me. Just seeing a dead animal at my house, at the table will be hard for me. Please any suggestions.

Responses (2)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 11/09/16 13:35:20

It's your choice, but if it were up to me, I'd have stated in my invitations, "Please respect our personal beliefs and bring only vegan foods to the party. Thanks!"

• Report Abuse

Posted by tooyoungtopolka at 11/12/16 00:18:58

This is never an easy task! Hosting family is a wonderful opportunity to be together with people you may only see a couple times a year and should be special just for that reason, but the turkey is another issue! On one hand you will have a wonderful chance to showcase all the other traditional dishes made vegan and blow the minds of the doubters, but on the other hand there is a freaking dead animal on the table! I have struggled and hosted for many years and here is what I have done so far.... I have made it clear that I am unhappy about the turkey and if it must be brought it will be already cooked and sliced on a plate. No gassing out the house and slopping around my kitchen with the carnage! This has been respected, but it is still a huge bummer! I plan to try to have others host and bring all my amazing vegan dishes that they all devour and when my aging mother has moved on I am going to call it quits and host a Cruelty Free Vegan Mexican Inspired Thanksgiving Feast instead! They will all be invited and we'll see what happens! No good answer I am afraid my friend! Good Luck!

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support