Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I am just curious what YOU eat everyday? What is on your menu? I want to try to make sure I am getting a wellrounded diet because I seem tired as of lately. I know I am not getting a balanced diet but I work full time and have a toddler - it isn't always easy.. I don't have time to whip up some fab meals and a lot of us eat on the go. I need ideas.

I will start with yesterday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with blueberries/coffee (I usually eat at the office at my desk so I don't cook breakfast)
Snack - Homemade black bean dip (yum) with frito's
Lunch - Veggie sub (no cheese) w/ mustard and oil/vinegar. I felt like it was just too much bread and not enough veggies
Dinner - 1 slice of tofutti's pizza and a handful of blueberries

I then passed out for the night but I usually eat veggies at dinner but this is real life which is not always ideal.

Responses (31)

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 06/20/08 16:31:56

#1. Whole Soyogurt to get me on my way.
    #2. Whole Foods Tofu Chipolte Wrap / Vegan Kitchen Samosa / Vegan Kitchen Brown Rice
    #3. California Vegan Egg Free Veggie Noodles

I just had some Vegan Tapas, too. Hummas / Roasted Corn and Black Beans / Veggie Medley in a wine sauce / Quinoa at a new place called Kreation Organic Kafe.

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 06/20/08 16:33:51

Why don't you look at the free recipes on www.drmcdougall.com I think most are quick and easy and Dr. McD will answer all your nutritional questions! BTW my eating right now while I'm in LA vegan heaven is not very McDougall! But I try!

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 06/21/08 01:25:35

Ooooh well......

Breakfast:
    Porridge with Flax seeds

Lunch:
    Salad
    Yoghurt

Dinner:
    Vegetable Kofta
    Vegetable Korma
    Onion Rice
    Seitan Satay (Soooooooo gooooooood)

All homemade and I must be a blinking loony cooking all that in this heat!!

salads from now on.

Report Abuse

Posted by KellyVeganGirl at 06/25/08 05:13:29

Breakfast- cereal,grapes,soy milk
    snack- banana
    Lunch- salad, nectarine
    snack-banana
    Supper-veggies,rice, soy chicken breast, soy milk
    snack- baked soy chips

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 06/25/08 10:27:38

Let's see, yesterday I ate:

Breakfast - 2 pcs whole wheat raisin toast with small amount margarine and whole blueberry spread, coffee

Lunch - salad with 2 types of red leaf lettuces, sugar snap peas, green beans, corn, garbanzo beans, and small piece Field Roast, 1 corn tortilla

Snack - cherries

Dinner - salad again except no Field Roast or tortilla, 10 baked tater tots

Snack - green pluot, cherries, graham cracker

Also drank 1.5 liter water throughout day.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Katylynn2000 at 06/25/08 13:32:37

Tatiana - Do you mind if I ask what Field Roast is? Is it a gluten product? I see you don't eat a lot of soy, either. Most of the Vegan diets I have seen include a lot of soy... I am trying to stay away from that. My God, I think I need to go and get some cherries, that sounds good!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 06/25/08 13:53:22

Katylynn - Yes, it is a gluten product, you can see what they have on their site
    http://www.fieldroast.com/

Whole Foods around here carries the sausage links and the celebration roasts. I'd like to try the other stuff sometime if I find it. Right now in my fridge I have the smoke apple sage sausage, which is great. I also love the chipotle, but, warning, it's really spicy (I love spicy and I think this is spicy, lol). The Italian flavor is good as well, but my least favorite of the three.

Cherries are almost out of season here, so I'm eating as many as I can while I have the chance! Only 1-2 weeks left on them I think. Blueberries are going out as well. Sigh, if only the season was everlasting, lol.

• Report Abuse

Posted by louis at 06/25/08 14:31:20

Yesterday: hummus,bread, quinoa with mushrooms at Triangulos do Verduras Santiago de Compostela, all very nice, then veggie frankfurters,peanuts and some soya milk on aeroplane. Today, not great, a vegan 'pot noodle' from Sainsburys, seeded wholemeal bread, ten satsumas and spicy lentil soup.

Report Abuse

Posted by KellyVeganGirl at 06/27/08 18:02:55

I'm trying to reduce my soy products intake since I just found out it's tested on animals. I'm so depressed.:( I've been eating fake meat for years and drinking soy milk. And sometimes I eat soy chips and soy ice cream too.

Report Abuse

Posted by Daliwali at 07/11/08 21:08:20

Be careful eating too much soy, i do eat soy also but, mix up ur main protien souces..try tempeh, and seitan nd stuff, there are nut milks and rice milk too..Living off of fake meas aint a good idea either
    Breakfast
    Tofu scramble loaded with veggies nd nutritional yeast with pita
    Lunch
    Rosted portobello salad with agave dijon dressing, pinapple cashew quinoa pilaf, and some cantaloupe nd blueberriez
    Snack
    Lowfat banana bread
    Dinner
    Plantain and pinto bean stew with turnip chips

Making your own food will give u more energy that processesed packaged and frozen foods..Make big amounts and freeze into single servings so u dont have to cook everyday...A great vegan cookbook is veganomicon

Report Abuse

Posted by Blinky_J at 07/13/08 16:13:10

I had a bagel with a tomato juice for breakfast.
    For lunch I made some harvard beets which I put on a veggie patty.For dinner i had a baked potato and also baked a vegan bread bowl and put some tomato soup in it. I drank iced coffee and water. I used the rest of the bread to make toast with margarine and nutritional yeast on top which i ate as a late night snack with some hot vegetable broth.

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/14/08 04:12:53

KellyVeganGirl where did you find this out from?
    I'd be really interested to know.

Report Abuse

Posted by Raysa at 07/16/08 01:40:31

actually,I can't be a full vegetarian cuz I'm still a student n can't earn my own money to buy an organic veggie so I still eat 4 my mom cooks,
    so..yesterday I had
    juz a milk n pizza 4 d breakfast

Meat 4 lunch .. *seriously I always want to throw all of my stomach fill after I eat meat*

and I never eat 4 dinner..

that's it

• Report Abuse

Posted by Katylynn2000 at 07/17/08 10:46:36

Okay, I tried the Field Roast sausages and they were good! It is perfect for camping and grilling out when you are feeling kind of left out. I roast a lot of red peppers on the grill and top them. I think I actually like the Italian ones the best. I think this is the only 'fake meat' I will eat. I don't even eat tofu.

So yesterday I had:
    Breakfast: Wheat English muffin with peanut butter and coffee
    Snack: Peach
    Lunch: Portabello sandwich topped with yummy veggies on whole wheat chibada bread and steamed veggies
    Dinner: Hummus and veggies, a few Fritos with the hummus and a tomato/cilantro type cous cous

For a snack later I had one of those mini soy ice cream sandwiches.

Thanks for posting what you ate because it really does give me a ton of ideas!

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 07/21/08 13:11:35

That Soy Protein Isolate is good cancer fuel. Japanese only eat 10grams of the stuff a week or something and here we go in the USA eating that 4 times a day... Soy products should be condiments to a starch based diet for optimal health, but do your own research!

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/21/08 14:00:35

I think feeling tired for being vegan is cliche not true. Anyway you need more proteins if the food is REALY reason for yourtiredness. Im no doctor anyway so check with one.

• Report Abuse

Posted by amy80424 at 07/22/08 14:19:24

breakfast: cereal w/flax seed, blackberries & soymilk around 8:30

Snacks: banana at 10 and apple at 11.

Lunch around 2: homemade tempeh salad with spinach, carrots, grn peppers and pita

Snack: homemade red pepper hummus with celery & carrots

dinner around 7:30: spaghetti and gimme lean meatballs & sauteed veggies (wanted to make a salad but I was lazy). drank 2 glass red wine after dinner.

• Report Abuse

Posted by beckiemayfield at 07/22/08 19:14:40

I ate unhealthy today

Breakfast: Raspberry Ginger Peace Cereal w/ soymilk

Lunch: Big Bag of Uncle Eddie's Vegan cookies (oatmeal raisin) yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Dinner- Iron Wok resturant, Tofu Delite! Yum

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tom at 07/24/08 08:05:38

Katylynn, do you use "Nutritional Yeast" as part of your normal diet regimen yet ? This stuff is the vegan superfood, it is thin yellow flakes and has a nice cheesy flavor, and is LOADED with vitamins and minerals. The Red Star VSF (veg support formula) variety is the best, and includes the critical vitamin B12, along with lots of protein, zinc, iron, selenium, as well as a long list of other goodness. It's an "inactive" yeast so it doesn't affect people with yeast sensitivities, and it's gluten free. Most natural food stores carry Nutritonal Yeast in their bulk departments, though they may not all have the VSF variety. If not then you should suggest it to the manager as the best available quality of that item, and urge them to make the switch. We have a Nutr.Yeast shaker here in our home and always just buy it in bulk and continually refill it. We use it on anything that goes well with a cheesy flavor- rice & bean dishes, pastas, pizzas, salads, burritos, avocado dips, tofu scrambles, and on and on. Just the other day my wife had a reunion here at our home with a bunch of former coworkers and I whipped up 4 vegan pizzas for them. The cheese part of the pizzas was a layer on Nutr.Yeast on the sauce, then I sauteed and crumbled Soyrizo (an incredible veggie sausage) on top of that, along with onions, roasted red peppers, baby spinach and green olives. People could not get enough of it, and none of those folks were veg, yet, it was delectable. Anyway, using Nutr.Yeast regularly is one great way of ensuring optimal health and energy as a vegan, or for anybody for that matter. But that's our little vegan family secret :-) There is a great book out called "The Nutritional Yeast Cookbook" by Joanne Stepaniak, that explains everything about it and contains tons of great recipes.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/25/08 13:11:37

what about beer yeast?
    and othernatural yeast?
    you dont have to it all that chemical stuuf to be healthy.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tom at 07/26/08 05:30:35

Nutritional yeast is naturally grown on molasses, it's not "chemical" stuff. The other yeasts you mentioned are active yeasts and can have a negative reaction with people who have yeast sensitivities, nutr. yeast does not.
    You are right, we don't "have" to consume it to be healthy, but it is a great way to ensure we're getting the good variety of vitamins and minerals, especially B12, not to mention that it tastes so good in so many dishes.

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/26/08 07:55:40

I am a fan of nutritional yeast - it is great stuff.
    Marmite is also an EXCELLENT source of vitamin B12.

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/26/08 07:57:23

Has anyone else heard anything about soy being tested on animals?
    I can't find anything about it at all.

• Report Abuse

Posted by celeste at 07/30/08 02:26:03

It's been hot here lately so I haven't been eating as much.Yesterday breakfast-a smoothie with frozen berries,almonds,soy lecithin,rice protein powder,wheat germ and soy milk.
    Lunch-a great big salad with veggies and homegrown sprouts and a dressing made with soy yogurt and nutritional yeast.
    Dinner-leftover salad.
    On most days,though I'll have either a smoothie or homemade muesli except for the weekends when I'll make Heurvos Rancheros with tofu,of vegan french toast or pancakes or jst a tofu scramble with potatoes and fruit.
    Lunch,usually salad or toast with avocado
    Dinner,anything from pasta with peanut butter sauce and veggies,a Gabo Gabo salad(Indonesian salad) homemade vegan pizza,vegan shepard's pie or even a homemade veggie pot pie when it's warm out.Or any number of other things. I love to cook and my husband and I love to eat!!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tom at 07/31/08 03:57:31

Nice selections celeste ! I just made a yummy vegan pizza the other night. Got lazy and used a pre-made thin crust, then spread Bertolli Marinara & Burgundy wine pasta sauce on it, a layer of nutritional yeast, a layer of sliced sauteed Italian Tofurky links, chopped onion and garlic. Couldn't stop eating it, we knocked the whole thing out in one sitting :-)

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/31/08 04:13:37

Oooh - never thought of putting nutritional yeast on a pizza!

*slaps head*

Great tip!

Report Abuse

Posted by emilyplay at 08/13/08 16:26:15

Fruit every few hours.

For a late lunch I had steamed organic broccoli and wild rice with a salad mostly of sprouted sunflower seeds.

It was amazing.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Quasi Vegetarian at 08/14/08 03:01:07

Breakfast:
    8 oz of 100% pure kiwi Strawberry juice.
    a bowl of black seedless grapes.

Mid Morning:
    1 large grapefruit.
    2 small oranges.

Lunch:
    1/2 Yellow Canary Melon.
    Bowl of Cherries
    1/2 cup of almonds

Mid Afternoon:
    Bowl of potawatomi plumbs.

Dinner:
    Steamed Zucchini and Onions
    2 peaches

Evening Snack:
    Almonds
    Cherries

There is very little cooking involved in my meals. (Makes doing the dishes a bit of a grind. But hey, sometimes one has to make sacrifices) ;)

Quasi

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tom at 08/14/08 07:17:36

Oh man, working in a natural foods store is a jewel. We have a cafe/deli and about 90% of the food is vegetarian, about 75% vegan. We just graze throughout the day. Yesterday we enjoyed goji/maple/walnut muffins, chickpea-cilantro-quinoa salad, chantrelle mushroom-sundried tomato and jasmine rice salad, cauliflower curry soup, sesame oiled noodles w/ sauteed gluten, peas & broccoli stirfry, avocado dip with nutritional yeast, sea salt & flax oil with toasted bread strips for dipping. Chocolate almond milk to wash it all down with. We also make and sell hickory smoked Tofurky wraps daily, so slices of Tofurky are always floating around, being slathered with vegenaise, topped with organic shredded carrots/cabbage and devoured. You know we're a bunch of well-fed, happy vegans, vegetarians and borderline vegetarians working at that joint.
    Even the carnivorous employees can't help but enjoying all that goodness, and becoming more aware of the incredible variety of delicious, compassionate food options.
    It's a wonderful environment.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Chase Morgan at 11/26/10 13:54:46

homemade peanut butter and jelly sandwich, hummus on rye with romaine salad, grilled veggie wrap and lots of coffee

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 11/28/10 01:35:02

what is romaine and in what did you wrap your veggies? hehe.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support