HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hello all :)
New to the happy cow, and looking at starting vegetarianism or if I can, maybe veganism.

I've spent a couple of days trying to make the move, but I find myself /really/ wanting to nosh, on, say, pork bits.

And I know if I'm always hungry then I will just never stay with it, so I am looking for some tips on staying full. I got myself some soymilk, but it makes me go yick, because it tastes powdery to me.

Vegetarian burgers are fine to me, as are the vegan mayo and rice cheese I got. :) So also if anyone had trouble transitioning, could you tell me what you did?

Some of the things I've seen working in food service helps the want to eat all the chicken, because I see a bunch of squicky things, but still... I'm used to meat 3 or more times a day... Help? T_T

Responses (25)

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 12/30/12 11:20:39

:\ Did I offend someone just saying I /wanted/ to eat pork? But the whole want is for me to stop eating said pork bits.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Longdrive at 12/30/12 15:38:46

LilyBentley: You are open and direct. I like that. Arguably there are four stages to converting: (1) Thinking about it and examining one's motives....health, conscience or whatever (2) Undertaking some reading / research, (3) Planning when and how to make the move, and (4) Actually doing it. It is good to take a step back and honestly assess exactly where one is at. Men and women are different in many ways and the majority of women I've met like to plan, and take just one clear step at a time. Otherwise emotional overload and confusion prevails. (Call me "sexist," I simply tell it how I see it irregardless). Only you will know if these generalisations apply to you. You honestly state that hunger would certainly undo any conversion. In which case you appear to likely need much more thought and preparation. To put matters into perspective, most committed vegans would choose to have a finger amputated rather than be force fed meat. I exaggerate not. So, give it more thought / preparation and if you then feel ready then perhaps simply start off by avoiding red meat and see how it goes? Many G.P's. are willing to refer patients to a dietician for free advice if you are not keen on reading. Hope that helps? Good luck, and thanks for your honesty.

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 12/31/12 07:25:04

Hoorah! An answer!

I already figured out why I want to do it -- partially squick from seeing all the fatty parts of meat working in the food biz, partially as a health choice, and the rest of it being more conscientious about factory farms -- what the heck, world.

That's about how I'd figure I might go about it, taking just one or two things off my regular plate every week or so. Chicken I would have no problem ignoring because I grew up eating tons of chickens, so they don't really have any appeal to me, so that one is easy! :D

Eggs and pork make up most of my regular meat consumption, for now I'll take off the chicken and try to stick to just eggs if I feel I cannot do without.

I've noticed a ridiculous amount of animal products hanging out in foods that I wouldn't have expected, and it's a little creepy honestly.

But yesterday I didn't eat any (obvious) meat or animal products -- is it normal to feel a little wonky the first few days? I was hungry like I was, but also felt really, really tired, and it was kind of lame. I read it was pretty normal when switching diet from mostly meat to plants, but it still makes me feel like crud.

Also, I can't seem to find a clear answer -- are sodas okay? I would like to kick the soda habit one day as well, but I figured one step at a time was best, lest my body freak out and think I am dying or anything.

Add: :D My roommate has decided to give vegetarianism a try as well, so hooray for help.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 12/31/12 10:40:11

Hi Lily,
    You rock! I'm so happy to hear you're ready to give meat the boot. It will be among the best decisions you've made in your entire life. You won't believe how much healthier you'll be, how much longer you'll live, not to mention all the animal's lives you'll be saving.

It's totally normal to be craving pork bits or the like at first. Meat is addicting. If you give it up cold turkey, you'll find that it takes the body 2-3 weeks to "clear itself" so to speak and then you won't crave it at all any more. It's a weird physical thing that happens. It's like your body and taste buds re-set themselves. Stick to it for 3 weeks and you'll see what I mean.

Message me anytime! Best of luck to you & ur roomie! : )

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 12/31/12 12:07:22

Thank you :D

Yeah, I've read on all kinds of stuff about the benefits of eating a plant-based diet, and it's helping to keep me from running off to McDonalds when I dream of my fatty crap diet.

Today was a little better, probably because I got more protein, I think. It wasn't fully vegan, but like yesterday, no obvious meat sources, unless eggs are qualified as meat. Ate some soy burgers.

I've happily noticed that it's a lot harder to climb up the calories to overconsumption too, which is a very nice thing to see.

Very helpful is that I work at a food stand at a public market, so it's super easy to go out and buy fresh veggies on a weekly basis.

And my roommate and I are gonna keep each other in check. :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 01/01/13 15:26:50

I just wanted to ask if anyone has suggestions as for new things for me to try.

I went onto Omegle for a bit and got some neat ideas, fruit wise (when I wasn't being called stupid/gay/whatever for wanting to change my diet.) but not a lot of vegetables, which I am kind of picky about.

Hit up the local supermarket and picked up some clementines and a starfruit. I don't think I got a ripe one, but my roommate seems to like it, so whatever if it gets eaten. :D

I tried to find seitan but I didn't see any and don't quite know how to prepare it anyways. So if you have any ideas as to how to get my A vitamins and my fibers in a different way, feel free to tell me.

*shares crate of clementines*

• Report Abuse

Posted by VeganSally at 01/01/13 18:42:36

Hi Lily,
    Have you tried Vega? It's an all-in-one supplement that's totally vegan. You add a scoop of it to your smoothie or add a scoop to a glass of soy or rice milk. One scoop has 50% daily intake of vitamins and minerals, 15 g protein, 6 g fiber, 1.5 g Omega-3, antioxidants, probiotics and greens. One scoop is the equivalent of 3 servings of vegetables b/c there's stuff like alfalfa grass, spinach, broccoli and kale in there.

When I first went vegan, Vega got me through some rough patches. When I'd have cravings for stuff I shouldn't be eating, I'd throw a scoop of Vega in some rice milk, blend it with a banana and I was good. Plus when I was first starting out it gave me peace of mind knowing I was getting the key nutrients I needed.

You can find it at most neighborhoods health stores. I know they have it at Whole Foods. or amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Vega-Nutritional-Shake-Vanilla-Count/dp/B007G43D52/ref=sr_1_16?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1357092549&sr=1-16&keywords=vega

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 01/01/13 19:12:19

The chik patties by MorningStar farms are very popular and a good transition food b/c you really can't tell the difference from actual chicken. Boca products are also popular. Anything by Amy's is good.

My personal favorite is called "Gimme Lean" sausage by LightLife. It comes in a white tube. Fry up it up in a little olive oil. Here's what t looks like: http://www.lightlife.com/Vegan-Food-Vegetarian-Diet/Grounds

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 01/01/13 20:35:25

Thanks Sal, I'll be sure to check for it the next time I'm at the store! It'll be nice to show any worry-warts that I can go vegan without developing any problems.

Cowgirl - I've eaten some of the Morningstar and Boca products even before I had the idea to kick real meat and I do like them, thanks for reminding me of them. :) I'll take a look for the sausage too, thanks!

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 01/09/13 22:59:09

Well this sucks. There is officially not a single thing I can eat at my work except for the water. I've talked about making stuff for vegans even before I had considered it for myself and my boss just got angry saying that all people need meat three times a day to be healthy and God out animals on this planet for us to eat... I tried explaining healthy vegetarians exist, to which he shut down and stopped listening to me. Despite after a vegetarian diet his own daughter's cancer has yet to return for round 4! Ugh... he also said all non meat eaters are hypocritical because what you don't eat apparently makes you an abortion supporting liberal. It is really annoying.

We have a few Indian customers and he yells at them there is nothing wrong with eating meat. I wish he had a little respect for cultures and thoughts that were not his own, but he is too busy wallowing in dumb.

So... time for me to make all of my lunches I guess.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 01/10/13 02:26:48

Wow, your boss sounds like a major douche bag. I feel sorry for people like that. And you say he's berating your Indian customers for not eating meat? He sounds like a hopeless case.

Yeah, time to whip up some PB&Js. If you like soups and noodle dishes, it's Dr. MacDougal's to the rescue! Have u ever tried these? They're pretty delish, portable and quick!
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dr.+mcdougall%27s+soup&sprefix=dr.+mc%2Caps%2C183

And ya might want to keep some protein bars around at work in case you need a quick pick me up. Or if you have a favorite kind of nut, it sounds boring but keep a bag of them around. If you're hungry or don't have time to eat, a handful of cashews, walnuts, etc cuts hunger fast and keeps you going.

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 01/10/13 07:45:15

I've been working for him for three years so I am kind of used to the aforementioned douchbaggery. :)

That said, I'm always down for a good PB&J. Will take a look for the MacDougals when I go shopping again. Premade vegan burritos and I have made friends of late so it would be nice to have some other prepackaged vegan things to nosh on.

If all else fails I am lucky that my restaurant is right on the tail end of our city's public market, so I could go out and get fresh fruit or veggies at anytime. When I'm on my break today I intend to go out and get some eggplant and cauliflower, and maybe some other veggies if my tip money permits.

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 01/10/13 17:46:34

Ong, Daiya cheese is delicious.

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 01/11/13 16:23:08

As far as I can tell, and Yahoo seems to confirm this, the WhoNu? cookies are vegan, right?

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 01/14/13 15:08:39

Yes, WhoNu? cookies are vegan!

I love that you love Daiya cheese. You're such a natural at this! You're picking up this vegan thing no problem.

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 01/15/13 13:53:05

It's been really helpful to me that my local chain store has labeled all of their own brand items as vegan, lactose free, gluten free, low sodium and things like that. I've been spending a lot of free time searching the Internet and browsing stores specifically looking for new things to eat now.

I still don't care much for tofu, but I want to give seitan a go~
    I've gotten to try neat new fruits, too! :D

• Report Abuse

Posted by tijya at 01/20/13 08:24:59

My preference for tofu really depends on what I'm eating it with. I prefer to match it with something with lots of sauce.

It's also nice to hear someone new to this comment on Daiya cheese. I haven't yet tried it but may add it to the grocery list.

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 01/21/13 19:31:07

Saucy tofu? Hmm, I will have to try that. I got a nice Tofurkey pizza, and found a recipe for tofu burritos that looked really yummy.

My roommate wanted to try veganism but kept eating not vegan things! So today we gave away a bunch of our leftover meats, cheeses etc.

My fridge looks so healthy now!

Not a big fan of the Vegan Gourmet's cream cheese - anyone have other brand suggestions for a cream cheese? Also a cottage cheese, my roommate seems like she is going to miss that a lot.

I've lost about fifteen pounds so far, a very nice plus. And I'm actually getting all my nutrients as well.

• Report Abuse

Posted by KalyHouse at 01/24/13 18:14:59

I suggest you begin making tofu Scrambles, they recently have become my favorite in the whole world. The flavors are so yummy and you can make it with anything. Also TVP is nice. Make some Spaghetti and add some TVP and it will give you the illusion of meat. My family and I recently started the transition to the Vegan lifestyle. Its not as hard as I had imagined it to be.

Good Luck.

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 01/31/13 08:23:23

I think I have pretty much made the switch. I have fallen in love with Tofurkey and tomato sammiches. Yesterday I really wanted a milkshake, or so I thought, and I caved (Hate womanhood!) and got a sundae. It wasn't nearly as yummy as I remember them being, and I ate half and it never took. And gave me an unhappy tummy as well. Vanilla Silk ended up being my savior. Will give rest of sundae to someone else.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JChan at 01/31/13 18:57:06

Dear Lily Bentley

First, to be vegan is not only a change of diet but a NEW VIEW.
    Once you have possession of this view, you no longer wander around what meat you miss eating because you just don't want to eat something that someone had to give up his/her life to supply you!

With that in mind, eating a plant based diet is easy going.
    There is a whole world of stuff you can make that's so tasty as Happy Cow is full of info. But I think even so, I see a lot stuff on Happy Cow that appeal to the sweet tooth and are not in the right direction.

If you find it hard to figure what's good to eat for meals and snacks, keep trying and keep making stuff for yourself till you find them. For me the transition was somewhat easy: I did a great tomato sauce which I can add to a lot of things I make e.g. a mixed grain cooked, pasta, pizza, even on food at home that somehow lacked taste and made tasty when added. I did a bunch of oatmeal cookies without butter or even oils using apple sauce and banana as a binder instead. They're so tasty I keep them in the frig as a snack when I get hungry between meals. You can have them at your workplace. Once that need for snacking is satisfied, you're on your way!

If oatmeal cookies ain't what you like, try something else along the same line. For sugar, use Splenda instead. It works fine.

For a drink, you can change the taste of soymilk by adding a few walnuts and some cashew nut milk (which is very neutral in taste and rich almost like cream ... blend a handful in the blender then add a right amount of water and blend till completely smooth) all blended together. The Chinese drink soy milk savoury (with a little salt) also, like a soup.

Keep trying (making your own stuff from whole food) until you come across several items you simply love. You don't need many items to make your vegan life enjoyable.

And finally, don't put too much emphasis on tasty food! As long as nourishing food is palatable, we should take that as a blessing and with this happiness in our heart, we move on to do useful things instead of wallowing in our desire for more sensory pleasures, which are bottomless pits and a waste of our efforts.

JTM Chan

• Report Abuse

Posted by tanakil at 02/01/13 04:13:07

My greatest resource in becoming vegan was www.vegancoach.com
    She explains so much about the vegan lifestyle. She is amazing!

• Report Abuse

Posted by LilyBentley at 02/06/13 11:20:21

So my roommate has been eating pretty much rice and veggies with pasta and I think she might e getting bored with it. She said she wanted something greasy and delicious. Since I heard TVP can be used to make meatballs, could I use it to make a vegan meatloaf?

Any ideas for greasy vegan goodness?

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 02/08/13 23:43:58

Greasy vegan goodness is only a tube away. A tube of Gimme Lean sausage, that is. It's made by a company called LightLife. It comes in a white tube. Fry up it up in some olive oil. Here's what t looks like: http://www.lightlife.com/Vegan-Food-Vegetarian-Diet/Grounds

I haven't used it to make meat loaf before but I bet you could. Whatever u make with it is guaranteed delish!

• Report Abuse

Posted by bongo najja at 02/17/13 20:32:52

When I decided to become a vegetarian, it was because of spiritual reasons, which I think really helped me make the transition due to the seriousness of my spiritual path. I had to continue to rise in my level of consciousness, and becoming a vegan was an intricate part of it. To help with the transition, I experimented with the foods I ate. I would stop eating meat for about a week or two, then go back to it, paying particular attention as to how I felt. I can honestly say that I felt so much better with the vegetarian diet. That truly helped me stay on the vegetarian path. At that point, I wasn't a complete vegan because I was still eating the dairy yogurt. But, that is long gone. I've been a vegan for over 30 years and I have no regrets. Just thought I'd share that with you. Perhaps, that might be helpful.

Blessings

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now