Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

... is there an alternative for a good quality source of protein for men as soy increases the production of estrogen.

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Veganwithavengance at 10/01/13 21:28:27

So long as you eat enough calories in the day that aren't just pure junk (and I don't mean potato chips and Gardien burgers) you will get probably more than enough protein for a day. The whole protein thing is a complete myth most likely started by the meat, dairy and egg industries and propagated by the government (which is in many cases one in the same). If you are body building then you might want more protein but the average persyn can get by with a russet potato and will probably eat much more than that.

The whole soy thing is pretty mythical as well. I mean one shouldn't eat too much of it in general but that can be said for most things except maybe kale? I know plenty of men who have
    eaten soy for many many many years and they haven't magically "turned gay" nor have had any problems as a result of eating soy.

I will say personally I ditched soy milk for almond milk simply because it tastes a bit better, is usually pretty cheap and has fewer calories. Though I have plenty of soy based products with no problems.

Generally eat a good varied diet with fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes and grains and you will be just fine and dandy. Protein deficiency is extremely rare unless you aren't eating or aren't eating enough calories and in more developed countries that is hard to come by unless it is a choice you make.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 10/02/13 02:00:09

Neal Barnard M. D. of PCRM

~ Soy and Male Hormones

How about men? Although compounds in soy products have been likened to very weak female hormones, they have no adverse effects on men and may actually help them prevent cancer. A meta-analysis to be published in Fertility and Sterility, based on more than 50 treatment groups, showed that neither soy foods nor isoflavone supplements from soy affect testosterone levels in men. An analysis of 14 studies, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that increased intake of soy resulted in a 26 percent reduction in prostate cancer risk. Researchers found a 30 percent risk reduction with nonfermented soy products such as soy milk and tofu. ~ - his full article - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/settling-the-soy-controve_b_453966.html

Report Abuse

Posted by StephenS at 10/12/13 16:12:36

Yah - I'm not so sure about this Estrogen risk thing - sounds like another pseudo science conspiracy thing. All I can say - Soy has been the staple protein for me for 24 years now, and though I would never use the label 'Manly Man' - my work and lifestyle would say otherwise.
    I Farm and Log - Adventure Hike - Never wear pink - and never, ever cry ;)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 11/08/13 07:50:47

I agree with all the comments above.
    My protein sources include all varieties of beans and especially tempeh.
    It is good though, to understand that complete proteins are achieved with a variety of foods in combination, not just one source...