HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Vegetarian Discussion
I have found a lot of vegetarian food in the stores is pretty hit and miss. Some is great and others are like pressed lawn clippings.

I think (for me anyway) I am better just to cook vegetarian dishes rather than relying on veggie "substitutes".

My son even bought a nice vegetarian cookbook for Christmas with lots of yummy looking recipes that use real food!

Responses (6)

• Report Abuse

Posted by vegiedeb at 12/29/07 01:03:41

Making your meals from scratch is usually the healthier option anyway, especially if you are using fresh, wholefood ingredients. I don't know what the vegie substitutes are like in the USA, but here in Australia they usually have a lot of additives, etc. OK if you want something quick once in awhile, but not to eat everyday (from a health point of view anyway). I think it's great that there are so many websites now with veg recipes to try out.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Aardy at 01/01/08 02:10:22

Hi ventquy, if you are working full-time it is so hard to cook from scratch all the time but in terms of time investment for your health I have decided it is worth it. You avoid all the horrible additives and preservatives used even in vegetarian foods. I cook on Saturday or Sunday in quantity and freeze portions. For me, it is the only way to go. Falafel is a great thing to make in quantity, to freeze, and to carry for lunch along with bread and raw fruits. Good luck!

• Report Abuse

Posted by dirtandskirts at 01/17/08 16:10:59

I love to have some good vegan junk food now and then, but by and large I LOVE what I make at home -- and it's so wonderful to see other people having the same experience! For me, vegetarianism sparked a new tolerance of new foods, while veganism got me excited about cooking and exploring more and more -- I HIGHLY recommend finding veg cookbooks that are inviting AND filled with good food (I have some that are one but not the other -- and those were not the ones that came to France with me for a year). Go hang out at a bookstore if you can, or check out reviews on Amazon or your favorite online retailer. Find what appeals to you and try new recipes. Personal favorites include "Vive le Vegan!" by Dreena Burton (huge emphasis on whole foods, de-emphasizing wheat and soy, and also it's all marvelously delicious), and both "Vegan with a Vengeance" (by Isa Chandra Moskowitz) and "Veganomicon" (by Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero -- they also run theppk.com, which has tons of recipes etc.). (Unsurprisingly, all of these authors are known for sufficiently testing their recipes.) VwaV has plenty of familiar and new recipes, using no prepared veg junk like sausage logs, while the Veganomicon is like the vegan Joy of Cooking -- it has everything from basics to exciting crazy delicious new-favorites. My omnivore dad got me a copy of Veganomicon for Christmas and started cooking from it before I got it; he ended up wanting one of his own. It's that good, and that fun. If I could keep only one of my cookbooks, that would be it.

All the best in your culinary adventures!

• Report Abuse

Posted by katinjap at 01/28/08 00:19:46

I've always found it best to use a cookbook which is written for the country you live in too. E.g. my New Zealand-bought one just doesn't work in Japan because of the lack of ingredients available here, and my Japanese one just wouldn't work at home either (without great expense anyway..). I've also had to steer clear of American ones too cos there seems to be so much more vege stuff available, like Quorn etc, which I've never seen in regular NZ supermarkets...
    I definitely agree with you that making from scratch is the best, but we don't have to make things hard for ourselves either. Adapting recipes is fun and can often make a yummier, easier meal than the one suggested in the book.

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 01/28/08 10:17:46

Definately better to make your own, if that's a viable option.
    Aardy has the right idea and that's to make in bulk and freeze your home made goodies on your days off. That way you'll always have good, healthy meals to hand....even if you don't have much time the rst of the week.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/28/08 12:07:43

Yes, premaking stuff is awesome and saves time! If you have items that don't freeze well or have good shelf life, you can also prep the ingredients in advance, such as having already cut up vegetables, peeled garlic, etc on hand so when it's time to make your meal everything is already all prepped so all you have to do is put it together and cook.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now