Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I am a new vegan so still learning about new foods.
I had lunch at a vegan restaurant in Perth today. The stirfry had what looked look tempeh but its texture was of tender meat strips, would never have picked it as vege. I asked what it was and was told it is a soya product they get from Taiwan.
You could fool a meat eater easily, I bought a container and will make a stirfry with it tomorrow night. Does any one have any idea what it is? I wonder if they buy it dehydrated. I am not one for substitutes but this was excellent

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 10/17/14 14:24:53

Hi Farrview,
    I have no idea what is was, but I wish I knew. The Whole Foods by me in Chicago has an entire section of vegan products from Taiwan. All kinds of stuff I haven't been adventurous enough to try like vegan shrimp, vegan crab cakes & vegan fish fillets.

If you find out the name of your product, please let us know!

All the best,

• Report Abuse

Posted by VeganIsMyMiddlename at 10/24/14 13:42:27

I recently saw a news segment about the Beyond Meat company. While I'd like to try it, I'm not a huge fan of fake meats. (In their case, they describe their product as a blend of soy protein, pea protein, and Amaranth.)

But this reminds me of an experience I had many years ago, at an Asian restaurant in Kensington market, in Toronto. The restaurant had a large selection of mock meat dishes. I remarked, out loud, catching myself a bit off-guard, "What is vegetarian duck," to my husband, as we perused the menu.

Shortly thereafter, another couple was seated a few tables down. In no time I heard one of them exclaim, "What is vegetarian duck?!?"

I still don't know, to this day.

(Even when I used to eat meat, I never liked seafood, so I've never tried the vegan crab, scallops, etc., available, now.)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 10/25/14 08:49:30

My first experience with Thai food came at a tiny restaurant in Gaithersburg, MD in 1992. I had been vegetarian for 17 years by then and vegan for 7.

The restaurant was highly recommended, and I chose "Mock Duck" from a menu of 86 healthy items. It was absolutely delicious!

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support