Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Im really bad at mostly eating processed foods like fake meats and cheese and frozen potato products. Im out of the house between 6.45AM and 7.15Pm for work so when i get home im really bad for just heating something quick in the oven. Can someone please give me ideas for quick fresh meals that can be made in less than 30 mins and that dont require buying a bunch of products and then throwing half of it out a week later as theyve spoiled (its only myself and my husband and hes omni and not interested in healthy or ethical foods)

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/07/14 12:37:10

If you love peanut butter flavors – you could easily make this Peanut Butter Tofu Rice Bowl. This recipe merges nutty brown rice and protein-rich tofu and is infused with a delicious miso-peanut sauce. You can add in some crunchy veggies like carrots, bean sprouts and more. Rich in fiber from the whole grain brown rice. This healthy bowl is ready in minutes – especially if you take a short-cut and warm up some pre-cooked rice. Here's the recipe:

Peanut Tofu Rice Bowl
    vegan, serves 2

2 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked
    1 1/4 cups firm tofu, cubed
    garnish: cilantro + chopped peanuts

3 Tbsp peanut butter, salted / creamy
    1 Tbsp white miso paste (optional – you could substitute with a splash of lime juice)
    2 1/2 tsp agave syrup
    3/4 cup water
    2-3 tsp tamari or soy sauce (to taste)
    optional: 3-4 dashes cayenne powder (for heat)

Optional veggies:
    bean sprouts
    carrots, chopped or shredded
    spinach, chopped

1. Mix up your sauce using a Vitamix or food processor – you want it to be nice and smooth.
    2. Cube your tofu. You can either steam the tofu, use chilled tofu or lightly saute it in a skillet with a splash of oil.
    3. Toss the tofu with a spoonful of the sauce.
    4. Cook your rice or use a pre-cooked rice packet and heat. Todd the rice with the remaining sauce and fold in the tofu. Add in some veggies if you’d like!
    5. Serve warm with fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts over top. Add cayenne to recipe if you’d like a spicy accent.

Is this too complicated? Let me know if you're looking for something simpler.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/07/14 12:39:18

For super simple & quick, get some Veganaise mayo and make some vegan BLTA's (veggie bacon, lettuce, tomato & avocado) sandwiches.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/07/14 12:44:29

Another very easy & healthy idea. Whip up an Asian Tofu dish. Start with rice, add tofu and your favorite vegetables.

Here's a recipe-->
    Serves: 2

7 ounces extra firm tofu
    1 tablespoon high-heat oil (I use regular olive oil)
    cooking spray
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 cups assorted stir-fry vegetables
    3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (I recommend Mae Ploy)
    2 tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    optional: a few drops of fish sauce
    ⅔ cup brown rice, cooked

An hour before cooking, wrap the tofu in paper towels and place between two plates to help press out the liquid. I like to change the paper towels once during this process. Slice the tofu into even cubes.

Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Once it's hot, add the tofu cubes and allow them to pan fry until golden on one side and then use tongs to turn the pieces. Brown at least 4 sides for the best texture.

Set the tofu aside and if the pan is no longer oily, add some cooking spray. Saute the garlic and vegetables over medium-high heat with a bit of salt.

While the tofu and vegetables are cooking, stir together the sauce ingredients.

Serve the tofu and vegetables with the sauce over brown rice.

You want to use tofu that's been packed in water for this recipe, not the silken boxed variety. I recommend using a non-stick pan for the tofu because you will need less oil.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/07/14 12:50:19

One more suggestion! Check this out: 30 Vegan Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support