HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

When my dog was younger she was spayed and I had always thought that doing so was the right thing. But yesterday I asked someone why their dog wasn't spayed/neutered and she replied saying that it was mean. So, is your dog or other animal spayed or neutered or is it really a bad thing to do?

Responses (2)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 07/21/15 05:11:59

My boy Jacob surprised us by fathering a litter of pups at nine months of age, in 1973. We didn't want him doing that again, so I found a vet that would perform a vasectomy. It made me very happy to see Jacob enjoy thirteen years of sex without creating any offspring.

One of my books includes the essay, "Castration vs. Vasectomy". It's a little too long to post in its entirety here, but if you send me an email, I can send you a copy.

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 07/21/15 16:54:10

I would see it as being mean, but with the current population of the innocent animals in shelters, and rate of euthanization, I would say it is a good idea. Also, big part of it has to do with irresponsible pet owners. I believe that the whole breeding industry needs to be put to end. No licenses should be given out to breed dog or cats. Take a look at the shelters, many are dying when they can go home with someone that is looking to be a pet owner. If we can put an end to dog breeding, then we can empty out the shelters. Also, there needs to be extensive screening to adopt a dog. I think most people are buying them, then they realize its not easy to take care of them, or are sick in the head, they just dump them, turn them into the shelters, abandon them on the streets, and worse hurt or kill them. Not everyone is cut out to be a dog or cat owner. People are completely mean. Is it me, just lately there is so much dog abuse going on the news?

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now