Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Author Avatar
Hey everybody!

New guy here. I have been a vegetarian for 2 years and counting. I've been following this page for some time now but never really bothered to register because I didn't feel like I would contribute too much interesting stuff. Decided to finally register because I thought i'd share two interesting posts that were topvoted on reddit the past few days.

Basically both of them talk about brain activity in vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters during different tasks

Here are the links to the posts:

And here are the links to actual studies if you guys have access to them =)

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 03/26/14 08:22:59

hi Buckwheatrazor,
    Thanks so much for posting!

I found the studies very interesting. I've long thought that vegetarians and vegans were more empathetic than meat eaters. I should say, vegetarians and vegans who are veggie for animal rights/moral/ethical reasons. That's why, when I first meet a fellow veg*an, my first question for them is often, "So why are you veg*n?" If they tell me it has to do with compassion for animals, then I know I've met someone who's made the connection. Put another way, someone who has that higher level of empathy that I believe makes us better human beings.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 03/26/14 08:29:59

These studies had me think of a different question. I wonder if the veg*an/empathy connection is a chicken or egg phenomena? What I mean is, I would like to see a study where they took meat eaters who rated high in empathy scores then told them about vegetarianism, would you see a higher rate of transition to a vegetarian diet among those who are more empathetic to begin with? I believe the answer would be yes.

By the way, congrats on being vegetarian for 2 yrs! That's awesome! I was vegetarian for 25 yrs before going vegan. The biggest mistake of my life was not going vegan sooner. If you think u can make the switch to vegan, I highly recommend it. : )

Report Abuse

Posted by Buckwheatrazor at 04/01/14 13:32:12

Hey, thanks for the kind comment :). That would be an interesting think to study indeed, who knows, they could do it in the future for sure.

And yeah I will see, have been thinking of switching to being vegan lately myself too :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 04/01/14 19:17:45

Buckwheatrazor, those studies are indeed interesting. A pity that they were only done with a very small group of test subjects, which always is a reason to question the results.

Report Abuse

Posted by Buckwheatrazor at 05/03/14 02:05:04

Yup, I agree completely.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support