Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Author Avatar
I've watched Earthlings. It scared me. I want this world to change. I'm not a perfect Vegan at all, maybe this means I can't even call myself a Vegan because Veganism seeks to exclude, as far as possible to not cause suffering to animals at all.... and it must be possible to not hurt but it's about finding the way and gaining the knowledge which I don't think I have, fully. I believe in Veganism though. When I was vegetarian I did what I could to avoid dairy because I knew it fuelled the meat industry: dairy cow mothers are forcefully impregnated over and over until they can't anymore, slaughtered at 4yrs when they're done and can't produce any more. And baby cows' flesh are contained in Parmesan cheese! How cruel :( .... but should we make our cats and dogs vegan? Should we even have cats dogs, chickens as pets? Shouldn't we just let them free. Yet can we say zoos are entirely cruel when a lot of them protect animals from being endangered and ...eaten! Should we save zebras from lions if we could? How far can we give animals rights before some of them begin to hurt us? As some cannot reason...:/ these are still questions I feel are hard to answer.
I believe trying to pursue so called 'Veganism' is a compassionate way of living don't force my views on others because I can understand different situations, eg, culture, and partly because I don't feel like I'm personally perfectly avoiding all of the suffering, because I know that I am force fed animal products at times by my parents and also am faced with situations where I can't find vegan food options and have to be flexible. Bananas, coconuts,white sugar, palm oil, a lot of alcohol+drinks, tattoo ink, countless cosmetic and household products etc the list goes on .when it comes to animal suffering..Vegans don't touch those!? But there are just so many things that exploit animals!! What about countless plant productions that kill animals!? Can there be a way of eliminating all of this suffering?

Responses (6)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 11/06/17 16:45:23

Carisa--First of all, give yourself a lot of credit for being so aware, intelligent, and able to write so well about what you are thinking and feeling at a young age. You are more aware than most people about animal rights and the impact of a carnivore diet. You are a teacher to many. You may not realize that, but you will be.

The best advice is--do the best you can at trying to become a vegan. No one is perfect. Not even if you are living in a cave because you are still affecting the environment in some way. My point is, just do the best you can each day to help the earth and it's people.

My path to vegetarian and vegan was a phased approach from giving up beef, then chicken, then fish, then shrimp. All the while, incorporating more vegetables, grains, fruits, and beans into my meals. I do it for health, spirituality, animals (my co-creators and co-inhabitants of planet, Earth), and the environment.

You will find your truth. It's an every day adjustment. Just live in the present and the future will be as you see it. That's all there is really. The world is changing for the better, and you and your generation will change it even more positively. Believe it!

Report Abuse

Posted by Carisa at 11/09/17 19:04:35

I appreciate your response and admire your compassion. Earthlings made me sick and I am never seeing the world the same ever again. I think that yeh its a matter of people opening their eyes and seeing the truth of the matter, gaining knowledge and using it right, striving to not contribute to this suffering even if they can't be perfect at it. There is a reason why people take their children to pick apples and never to a slaughterhouse. So hopefully the world will make a social change. But of course there are still areas that rely on animal products for their survival and stuff so I can't guarantee that animals will not at all be still suffering in the future. It's just sad really. I would like to hear more voices for the voiceless and I hope more people will open up to the vegan lifestyle and that more vegan options will be available to facilitate the transition to the true power and beauty of Veganism.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 11/10/17 02:23:19

Carisa,
    Unfortunately there is a comparison to taking children to a slaughterhouse.
    Its called hunting and people take their children to do it all the time. Teaching them young to be barbaric savages. Earthlings really are the most deadly and dangerous animals that ever roamed the solar system.

• Report Abuse

Posted by h_o_rng at 11/12/17 15:02:32

Just be vegan, dont care about the details, increase your veganism every day; add new absolutes. When you cannot improve directly, do so indirectly moving towards doing so directly.

• Report Abuse

Posted by h_o_rng at 11/12/17 15:50:54

You sound like you are referring to humans, intuitively more than consciously; by the distancing in using the word earthlings, academic reference to humans as animals and speaking of rights and "harming"

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 11/15/17 04:06:12

Veganism seeks to avoid active exploitation and harm. If you aren't consuming flesh, milk, eggs or honey, and you're not wearing leather or fur, you're vegan. You seem to be confusing the natural cycle of life and death with exploitation - lions killing zebras is a normal and necessary part of their ecosystem. Veganism is about humans, and it is not be imposed on other animals.

As for palm oil or sugar - some vegans don't eat those. That is a personal choice to avoid palm oil and sugar in favor of other products, though many vegans opt for sustainably sourced palm oil and sugar that has not be bleached with animal bones.

There are also tons of cosmetics and beauty products on the market which are either intentionally or accidentally vegan, which contain no animal products and are not tested on animals. Look for the bunny, or for the words "no animal testing" and look up vegan brands on websites. You can also make some of your own grooming products at home. There are vegans who wash their hair in beer, or in baking soda and vinegar - I personally do not, I just use a vegan shampoo, but I wash my face in coconut oil instead of cleanser and my body soap is Dr. Bronners.

You can make your own cleaning products with Borax, vinegar, lemons, vodka, lavender oils, citrus oils, baking soda and other affordable natural items. They're also better for your health and the environment, since they don't release VOCs or have harsh chemicals. I always buy vegan laundry soap and it tends to be about the same price as Tide or some other phosphate-laden garbage, in fact in some cases vegan and eco-friendly detergent is actually cheaper. The spray cleaners can be a bit pricey, but you can balance the cost by having a vegan spray cleaner then having some homemade cleaning items.

Barnivore. com will guide you to vegan alcohol options if you need those.

It may seem overwhelming at first but if you do it by parts it's ok, start with your diet, move on to your personal and household items next, and don't get caught up in ridiculous black and white arguments like "well we kill mice and cockroaches occasionally so we might as well eat cows"...those arguments are sophomoric and miss the point of veganism entirely, which is to do the LEAST harm and to stop exploitation of animals. It's like saying "well people die every day so I might as well murder my enemy"...uh, no.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support