Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I have recently become a vegan and I have to go out of town to visit my husbands family this weekend. I know the topic of why I don't eat animals or their by-products is going to come up, but they just don't listen when I tell them I can get all the nutrition I need from other foods. Does anyone have any personal experience to help neturalize the situation?

Responses (16)

Report Abuse

Posted by KellyVeganGirl at 06/27/08 18:19:01

I've been there so many times. No one I've talked to where I live listens to me about how veganism is the ideal diet. There's not much you can do. It's like talking to a wall. It's so annoying. If you have some leaflets you can bring some along with you and maybe they will read them. I don't know what else to say.

• Report Abuse

Posted by cosmicbdog at 06/27/08 22:06:34

I am familiar with talking to a wall on this topic.

What I've found is working more for me is discovering the values of the people I am communicating with. Instead of trying to get my values across to them, kinda coming from above in a sense with better ethics and morals, I instead try to focus on teaching about understanding others.

At the end of the day, people eat meat and animal products because they don't have this quality of understanding and/or empathy to the degree you might have. So by showing how you do this, by showing that you are the type of person who is concerned and cares about others this will naturally come off them.

Personally, I get people all the time telling me they want to stop eating meat. But I've got like light shining out of my eyes and a warm glow around my skin. Naturally people are surprised when I say I'm vegan because there is such a dogmatic view around vegans lacking vital nutrients. Sadly unless you're a doctor or renowned dietician telling somebody there is all the health benefits in fruit and veg doesn't do the trick.

See how that works for you. See if you can practice the art of being influencial without trying to influence. By listening, by being empathetic and being accepting of others evolution without coming across as more advanced. I find it tricky but am gradually getting there and have found it to be much more productive then telling somebody they will get cancer or absorb the karmic energy of stealing from another being.

Take care, B

• Report Abuse

Posted by teddyrodo at 06/28/08 02:21:21

I just joined this site. I entered Fat Burger_NOT! because of a stupid anti-veggie poster they display in their store in Pacific Beach, San Diego.

I have tried to bring up my entry so that I (1)can notify the co. about the negative publicity (2) possibly get other veggies to complain, too.

Actually, they just added a veggie burger not too long ago and their fries & onion rings are terrific. But, I want to help move them into the 21st century by removing the irritating poster. Can anyone tell me how to bring up my entry so I can then inform the co.? I have tried unsuccessfully ...
    Ted

• Report Abuse

Posted by cosmicbdog at 06/28/08 09:25:57

Recently I submitted a complaint to an advertising standards authority in my country because Ingham chicken currently have a high budget prime time tv ad which basically says "everybody eats chicken... if you don't each chicken and are one of the .01% of people who don't, you're just not normal".

This is socially and ethically irresponsible to pull on peoples strings about being ostracized for their choices. Hopefully the Ad will be pulled.

I am pretty sure you will find there is an authority of similar nature in your country. And if you can explain in non-derogatory ways the negative impact this campaign you're in discordance with then it could have an effect. Of course contacting the company directly who is doing the advertising will help.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 06/30/08 11:19:02

cosmicbdog - great advice! I agree, I have people tell me all the time they want to stop eating meat but don't know how, etc, etc. In fact, many of them are my patients, and I am able to say, hey, here's how!

It might not hurt to arm yourself with some good information as well. I like the info on www.vrg.org.

You have to be strong! Even as a dietitian I have to fight people about my food choices!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/01/08 06:14:38

Genesis Chapter1 - The Creation

(29) Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; (30) and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so.
    +
    +
    +
    I tell people that "Genesis style" eating has kept me alive & well for 30 years plus -so it never crosses my mind anymore to ingest animal pieces / animal juices.
    +
    +
    +
    The "Eating" DVD is great for anyone who is at all inquisitive - http://www.ravediet.com/preview.htm - maybe carry a copy with you?

• Report Abuse

Posted by louis at 07/02/08 12:44:38

a website that suggests eating less meat and gives reasons why:
    www.ciwf.org.uk/eatlessmeat

• Report Abuse

Posted by hoffmans2 at 07/02/08 19:34:36

I just sit and listen and nod. Then I go home and tell my husband what idiots I ran into that day. In one case, those "idiots" were HIS family members!

The less you say, the sooner they'll shut-up. It takes 2 people to have an argument. Just relax, nod, ignore them and you'll be fine.

Restrict yourself to the occassional "uh-huh" and "oh, okay" and answer every question with "I don't have these debates" or "I'm not going to argue nutrition with you - neither of us is a dietitian so who knows!" PLAY DUMB.

Unless of course they seem smart enough to actually bother explaining yourself to. Otherwise, just relax, nod, relax, nod, relax...

SH

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/14/08 04:29:45

URGH!
    GAH!

I refuse to justify my eating to people anymore.
    I am so sick and fed up of trying to have my reasons for my vegan life heard without morons thinking it's an opportunity to catch me out on something.

If anyone is sincere and asks me I will say to them but if anyone isn't accepting of my reasons I just say "why did you ask if you're not interested?".

Report Abuse

Posted by auungbong at 07/15/08 11:10:24

Treehugger, exactly how I feel!

I get criticized for being a vegan and then questioned as if I am on trial for murder. Its truly absurd and when you question why they want to be overweight and consume artery clogging foods they get angry. So I just end up saying "because I want to be" and that SOMETIMES works.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/21/08 10:48:19

Macro-photo's of meat purchased at Wal-Mart - keep clicking "Next" - there are 19 images - http://www.naturalnews.com/PhotoTour_Mystery_Meat_1.html

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/21/08 11:14:11

Images of vegetables - http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=vegetables&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

In my opinion meat / mucus consumption by humans is "insanity".

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 07/21/08 12:35:40

Its just never worth getting into an argument with walking flesh cemeteries. If anyone asks you any questions just say "I'd love to send you some information can I have your email?" or "I'm not an expert, but I'd love to email/send you some expert opinions that influenced me." Just think about it like two people who know nothing about baseball arguing about baseball. Sometimes its just better to thank them for asking "reinforce their inquisitiveness" and then you let the experts tell them directly. drmcdougall.com is the link I give out endlessly. It has the highest conversion ratio since the information is clear / organized / cited / testimonials from his patients. I'd just sign all their emails up for his newsletter.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/23/08 09:22:41

Ha!

Very true gr8vegan.

http://www.drmcdougall.com is such a fine resource.

No sane / sensible person can possibly disagree with it.

Their "Discusssion Boards" are great - http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/ -HappyCow often gets mentioned there.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 08/01/08 06:25:40

"johnnysensible [PM]- 07/01/2008 06:14:38
    Genesis Chapter1 - The Creation

(29) Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; (30) and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so."

well done John.
    After talking with me people usually say, oh i can do that, i can eat less meat, i can eat all veggy. But what they do after is a different story.

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 08/01/08 08:23:54

URGH!
    I wish I hadn't looked at those photos johnny s - I feel quite sick now.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support