Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi, I'm so excited to be here and be able to ask questions and get advice! (I'm new, just today) I um have mostly been Vegan for the past 6 months, and I'm really desiring german sausage and fried chicken and cheese, and I'd love to have people's go-tos for such cravings and if you really don't even have them anymore after you've been Vegan awhile.

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by marlicious at 10/21/17 07:44:13

You could try to find vegan alternatives for these foods, or you could think of other vegan foods you like and remind yourself why you think that they are better.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 10/21/17 13:43:04

Try Tofurkey brand sausage. Best way I have found to cook it is, slice into 1/2 thick pieces. Fry in some olive oil on low heat on setting 4 on your stovetop. Fry each side for about 8 minutes, until dark brown. You can make a sandwich or put it with spaghetti or other pasta. Great meat alternative.

The closest thing to fried chicken for a vegan is fried tofu cubes. Cut Nasoya or Trader Joe's extra firm tofu into cubes--1/4 to 1/2 inch. Place in a pan. Season with a 5 spice seasoning combo. Fry in a pan with vegetable oil. Put stovetop setting on 4 or 5, adjust as needed. Cook and brown all sides. Keep turning and stirring in pan every 15 minutes. Takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get real chewy and somewhat crisp. Delicious. I have fed it to meat eaters and even they liked tofu. It's the way you cook it. Plain by itself. Takes on flavor you cook it with like marinating or spices.

The key is enjoying what you eat and trying different vegan foods to cook. Best wishes for personal success.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/28/17 03:29:46

Visit a factory where sausage is made and that will put an end to that craving.
    As for the fried chicken, you can make your own fried tofu fingers , tofu nuggets or seitan buffalo wings. Salt sugar and fat is what your body is craving and not the meat itself and you can use those ingredients to create new cravings that have plant proteins instead of animal proteins.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 10/29/17 03:35:55

Hi! I love to help with these kinds of questions, because I enjoy cooking and researching recipes and nutrition, so I can give you a few pointers:

1) Cravings for cheese are usually not for calcium but for fat, so you would sate your craving by enjoying a fatty food, like fried vegan nom noms (french fries, vegan tempura veggies, potato chips) or a creamy comforting food like using a good vegan cheese (Chao is good, so is Follow Your Heart smoked gouda) melted in a recipe, such as vegan mac n cheez (Daiya even makes three types in a box).

2) I've actually encountered really good recipes for fried chicken on the Internet. I personally have made my own "chicken fried chicken" from vital wheat gluten, soy milk and spices, coated in flour and more spices, then fried in oil. You can top this deliciousness with vegan mushroom gravy, or enjoy on a sandwich with Vegenaise and pickles, or whatever you like....Gardein makes great Seven Grain Chkn Tenders...they're sort of like fried chicken fingers, but you can bake them and dip them in your favorite sauce...I love them wrapped in lettuce with Daiya blue cheez dressing and chipotle tobasco sauce. Brown Vegan on YouTube also has a Southern style soul food recipe if you search her ...just put Brown Vegan fried chicken in the search box.

3) I think Tofurky fancy sausages are some of the best, particularly the kielbasa style with warm sourkraut and grain mustard or horseradish on a soft potato bun.

Overall, these may simply be cravings for comfort or familiar foods, or you may genuinely need more fat and calories in your diet, making you dream about food, so be sure you're eating whole grains and tofu or legumes, as well as some oils, nuts, seeds, that you're not feeling deprived. I've read repeatedly that the biggest mistake that new vegans make that turns them off is not forgetting to take B12 or genuine malnourishment, but simply not eating enough, or restricting themselves to low calorie, low fat foods that leave them feeling hungry and tired.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support