Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Help! Yesterday I decided on becoming a vegetarian. I love meat but I want to cut it completely out of my diet. My main concernes are what vitamins I should take? How do I get my iron, and protein (other then peanut butter)?
Thank you for your help, and any extra advice would be wonderful.

I really want this lifestyle change to work!! And I don't want to give up because my energy levels are low

Responses (9)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Bringmethepasta at 12/10/16 19:03:32

Iron is in spinach, beans, legumes, etc! Protein shouldn't be a problem unless you don't eat all your recommend calories! Oats are very good for protein tho, aswell as beans, legumes, haha! I recommend using cronometer to start u out to make sure you are getting everything
    If you are worried! Good lucj

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 12/11/16 01:03:05

Hi Jessikay!
    Congratulations on making a wonderful decision!

As a vegetarian, you don't need to supplement anything. If you go vegan, you may want to supplement with Vitamin B12. Most people - whether vegetarian, vegan or meat eaters - do not get enough Vitamin D. So it's always a good idea to supplement with a vegan-sourced vitamin D3.

Just make sure you're eating a healthy, balanced veg diet. Ez on the junk food.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 12/11/16 01:07:07

If you want to supplement, simply take a veg multivitamin. Deva makes a great vegan multivitamin. Also Garden of Life Vitamin Code makes a great one. You can find them in any health food store, Whole Foods or on Amazon.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Jessikay69 at 12/12/16 16:41:47

Thank you everyone!

It's day 2 now, and I feel wonderful! My family has been so helpful and even finding me new recipes to try!

I bought chia seeds and hempseeds to add in my oatmeal, and I have felt more healthy the last 2 days then my whole 21 years of eating meat.

I will say it will be more tempting to snack on junk but I'm doing this for my health so I will find alternatives.

Thank you guys so much for the advice, and I will look into the veg multivitamins for sure!

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 12/12/16 16:52:46

That's great news! Hooray!!

There's so many fun veg cookbooks out there! Enjoy!

• Report Abuse

Posted by arb84820 at 12/12/16 18:04:03

Be sure to check out the meat substitutes, which are low in fat and cholesterol and high in protein! Some brands to consider: Loma Linda (Worthingtons), Gardien, Boca, Morningstar (one of my favs), Field Roast (the best!), Quorn, Gardenburger, Dr. Praegers!

Also, for a complete protein check out Ezekiel Bread!

For substitutes, you do not need to supplement anything. Just make sure you check the labels for items which contain Vit D and B12 (Dynamo by trader Joes, Cereals, etc). Fyi, B12 is always supplemented into foods from bacterial fermentation, the only reason it is found is meat is because the cows are pumped full of it!

Congratulations on the switch, stop by the Happycow chat room and say Hi for more tips, recipes, and general chatting!

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndreaGood at 12/13/16 23:30:49

One of my favorite foods is kale chips. I live in Ashland and they usually sell a variety of kale chips at our local Coop and Shop'n'Kart. Kale chips are raw dehydrated chips made of kale in a base of cashew nuts, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Nutritional yeast provides all the vitamin B's that you need. Cashew nuts are a good source of protein...and kale is great for iron. If you look up the health benefits of kale, you'd be amazed.
    Blessings on your new path!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Jessikay69 at 12/14/16 17:52:48

I love kale chips- i make them myself with crushed chiles, but have never seen them in a store (im in canada) i will check out some markets and we might even have a place for vegetarians. Thanks again for all the help & what works for you! Makes this alot easier & more enjoyable with help ?

• Report Abuse

Posted by Urmila at 12/15/16 20:35:27

Just a couple of hours of research on the internet will show you, how it is easier than ever to go vegan now. We are living in the era of vegan innovation and revolution. As far as motivation is concerned, you are doing a great job already.

You have to accept that there will be weak moments which will test you. In such hard times what helped me was to remind myself why I went vegan. For me, re-watching or reminding myself of those videos which made me go vegan always did the trick. Whatever was the reason for you to go vegan, always always remember that, works like charm. Good luck!!

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support