Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi

I have been mostly eating vegan foods for almost a week.

I'm concerned that I have used the excuse that it was a mistake to buy (flapjack for example with butter) something, because I forgot my husband doesn't eat nuts.... or (falafel for example) because I didn't look at the ingredients and i wasn't buying our food separately, or didn't have a lot of time.

I find it disturbingly easy not to make vegan choices about once sometimes twice a day

I have made huge improvements since my omni diet a week ago, but i really feel like my heart is in it but some weak part of my brain is not.

just so as not to waste food!!

I'm sure my mum would eat the rest of the falafels!

I keep starting new and breaking it, I've eaten about 45 items or times in the last week and 9 things weren't vegan.

I want to be vegan.

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Umapuma at 10/08/14 12:16:57

Hi Cloud-Dog! If you do then you will, it just might just take a little time. A lot of things we want don't happen immediately. I want Ivory banned in Colorado but it'll take rallies and petitions. A week is a great start for you! I started almost two years ago and would eat a homemade cookie and "assume" it could be vegan b/c there were no ingredients listed. I would eat eggs from a friend's farm b/c their chickens are "happy". Over the past year I have become more knowledgeable about treatment and suffering of animals and have fully committed. I bet the same will happen to you. I really do think you are off to a great start and should keep up your efforts, nice work!

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 10/09/14 07:34:18

Of my four basic reasons for being a vegan, the one that motivates me most is a very strong desire not to contribute to the unnecessary suffering and death of any animals.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 10/17/14 14:43:34

Hi Cloud Dog,
    It sounds to me like you're doing a great job. I'd be proud of your accomplishments thus far.

I went through the same thing you're describing on my way to becoming vegan. For example, there was no way I would eat an egg that was over easy, scrambled or hard boiled but if you cracked a couple eggs and put it in a pancake batter I had no problem eating the pancakes. Makes no logical sense, I know. But unless the product of animal suffering was looking me in the face, I didn't make the connection. Or i should say, it was easier not to make the connection.

The solution: I had to consciously remind myself that the item I wanted to eat contained products of animal suffering. Did I want to put that in my body? Then I would think, really think, about what happened to that chicken or cow to get that egg, milk, cheese or butter and that would be the end of it.

Also, don't forget that it takes time to make new habits. For example, maybe you are used to buying a pancake mix that has eggs in it. You'll have to take the time to browse the shelves at your supermarket to find one that is vegan. But once you find one that's vegan, you don't have to re-invent the wheel each time. You can grab that product off the shelf and move on.

You can do it!

All the best,
    Happycowgirl

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support