HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

hi guys! i am a budding vegan gardener. i know there are a few key components to organic vegan gardening, and i am trying to hone my skills in these areas (ie crop rotation, green manures, home composting, etc). since most 'organic' food is grown with animal manure, i feel strongly about learning natural, alternative ways for growing. is anyone else into vegan gardening or even aware that vegetables are only as 'vegan' as they are grown?

by the way, i am blogging about my garden endeavors (and other vegan related things) at veganscene.blogspot.com

Responses (8)

• Report Abuse

Posted by jive at 08/02/10 15:47:36

Hi campbellroots, I have been into gardening for many years now. I personally just use dirt. I have never stood why people feel the need to use things like sand and peat moss and banana peels. I usually take top soil from one part of the yard, and mix it with bottom soil from another part; that way i get a good PH balance. You can also make your own compost from kitchen waste. It is good for the garden and good for the enviornment. Here is a link: home.howstuffworks.com/composting-for-a-vegetable-garden.htm

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 08/02/10 17:06:25

Just heard a report on NPR today how a NW OG farm got cow poop contaminated w an herbicide that is killing their crops. I hope farmers would consider their fertilizers more. I got taters from a farmers market and it tasted like fish (and smelled like it more so I didn't thankfully eat it.) I returned them too him and he thought I was crazy until I asked if he used fish emulsion on them and he admitted he did.

Down to Earth sells a Vegan Mix; numbers are less but adequate I think.

If you are rocking a garden though, nothing large scale, then you should study composting, it is awesome, and connects the cycle and makes you feel more whole.

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 08/03/10 16:54:38

http://www.downtoearthdistributors.com/veganmix.html

a link to vegan plant food.

forgive me webmaster if you have one in merch, just link to yours and delete this one

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 08/10/10 13:07:28

Hmm,

you might want to try using your own poop.
    Good use for it, and makes your plants strong.

Best regards,
    Andy

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 08/10/10 14:33:37

Andy, that is a dangerous notion. Humanure is great for composting esp if given time to get hot enough and so forth. However, unless you take the time, which is highly unlikely, to take samples to ensure everything has burned off, humanure is best for composting flowers, not food. As someone who has composted his own crap for 3 years, I speak from experience and research.

I am not sure if that was meant as sarcasm, but consider the thread as serious. Poorly composted feces would be very dangerous.

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 08/11/10 07:38:01

Hello Kindlizard,

no, I did not intend my post to be sarcastic (maybe a little tongue-in-cheek, I admit).

I was just wondering whether that would work, and thank you for the provided information! After all, it *is* a problem as well what to do with the stuff - if some might be used as fertilizer (if possible after composting), that might make a lot of sense.

Best regards,
    Andy

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 08/11/10 14:03:58

Folks who wrote Humanure Handbook would say it is safe, but the consensus from well educated folks like herbalists and such I have spoken to about it have all weighed in on the other side. It IS great to compost poop, and you can use the very rich soil for flowers and non-edible things, but you have to be very very certain about it for food and it is not worth the risk. If someone is asking about it like the one who initiated the thread hasn't composted veggies even, it'd be bad to suggest going to the extreme of poop composting. While it is "possible", it is best left to expert composters who have the knowledge of how to test it thoroughly before applying it. As such, if you are looking it up online, don't do it!!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 08/12/10 03:40:32

Similarly themed thread from a couple of years ago - the article link has died, I am happy that I copied it - the last 4 site links are still good - http://www.happycow.net/forum/animal_rights/view_topic.php?id=85

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now