Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Super effective weight loss / life loss method
"Eat E. coli contaminated US beef." - adequate supplies - 500,000 lb's (22,700 kg's) are produced each week.
Benefits - "In humans, E. coli poisoning can cause severe stomach cramps, bloody urine and diarrhea, kidney failure and even death."
More excerpts - read the article for the full story -
The American meat industry is bewildered by this year's increased findings of E. coli contamination. Theories about the causes range from dry conditions in cattle feedlots, where cattle stand in manure, to changes in feed caused by high corn prices.

Whatever the reason, the result has been sick consumers. The largest recall so far this year involved the Topps Meat Co. of Elizabeth, N.J., which went out of business after it recalled 21.7 million pounds of ground beef due to E. coli contamination. About 40 people fell ill from Topps meat.

More recently, Cargill, the Minneapolis-based grain and foods giant, has recalled nearly 2 million pounds of ground beef due to E. coli concerns. And more than 3 million pounds of General Mills' Totino's and Jeno's pizzas have been recalled because of E. coli in pepperoni.

The inspectors interviewed for this story contended that the E. coli increase is due to the methods used to slaughter cattle, as well as the practice of designating affected meat "cook only."

That practice means companies can profit from meat that they would otherwise lose. But while the practice is clearly spelled out in USDA regulations, it is not widely publicized. "If you knew this was all E. coli positive, would you buy that product?" asked one inspector. "That's very hush-hush."

--------------------------------------------------

Inspectors interviewed for this story, however, challenged the suggestion that it's a small problem. One USDA inspector said a large meatpacking plant where he worked produced a half-million pounds a week of E. coli-positive beef that was tagged "cook only."

"It's a smoke screen," the inspector said. "The agency says, 'Look at all this testing.' They [the meat companies] are still producing a half-million pounds a week of E. coli product, and we're patting them on their back."***
http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/printedition/sunday/chi-meat_bdnov11,0,3592273.story

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 11/17/07 02:41:12

poo= E. coli = nasty!

and you know if this is getting in the food supply more, the slaughtering methods are not improving like they are supposed to be, but very likely getting worse...bah I'm having flashbacks of Fast Food Nation, makes me really sad. Have you ever seen how beautiful a cow's eyes are?

Report Abuse

Posted by Rafael at 11/17/07 03:06:58

"Land of the Insane"
    I will show this piece to several of my stinky, meaty work colleagues who constantly discuss dieting / weight loss!
    "Oh for a sweet smelling vegan office"
    Smoking has been banned in workplaces - not it is time to ban meat consumption!

Report Abuse

Posted by Rafael at 11/17/07 03:08:08

Oops - a typing error -

Smoking has been banned in workplaces - now it is time to ban meat consumption!

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support