Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

My husband and I want to use a plant-based protein powder, but there are so many to choose from... any suggestions on what we should stay away from and try out?

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 08/07/14 05:18:53

Better I would say, to get your protein in the form of food that is not so highly processed.

I've met a few vegan body-builders and athletes who don't rely on "protein powders".

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 08/11/14 12:47:42

There are so many wonderful vegan protein powders on the market that it's hard to choose. A lot of it boils down to personal preference - they all have a slightly different flavor.

Vega One is a good starter protein powder because most people like the taste. I prefer the "Natural" flavor but it also comes in French Vanilla, Chocolate, Berry and Vanilla. It has 15 grams of complete, multisource, plant-based protein. Every serving also includes 50% of your daily intake of vitamins and minerals, 1.5 grams of Omega-3, 6 grams of fiber, greens (the equivalent of three servings), antioxidants, probiotics (1 billion CFU), digestive enzymes and 1000 milligrams maca and 500 milligrams chlorella.

I use Garden of Life RAW protein powder. It's more nutrient dense than Vega One with 33 grams of organic, plant-based protein and has all the essential amino acids, 14 grams of soluble and insoluble fiber, live probiotics and enzymes. Be warned though that Garden of Life RAW is not for everyone. It has a gritty, "health drink" taste. Personally, I love the taste. But I'm the type of person who can sit down and eat a plate of kale with no dressing and love it. Once you add a banana, almond milk, cacao power, etc. the "healthy" taste is gone but you're still left with a more gritty consistency. They have sample packets so you can try it to see if you like it before committing to buying a big tub of it.

Here is Vega One:
    http://www.amazon.com/Vega-Nutritional-Shake-Natural-Ounce/dp/B007ARW496/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1407786410&sr=8-10&keywords=vegan+protein+powder

Here is Garden of Life RAW:
    http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Meal-Vanilla/dp/B007S6Y74O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407785418&sr=8-3&keywords=vegan+protein+powder

• Report Abuse

Posted by LoveAllAnimals at 08/12/14 12:40:04

I use Navitas Naturals Hemp Protein Powder. It contains 50% protein and a variety of other key nutrients. It has a very mild, nutty flavor so mixes in with things very well.

Here is a link:
    www.navitasnaturals.com/product/453/Hemp-Protein-Powder.html

• Report Abuse

Posted by saveur at 09/20/14 17:56:30

Protein powders vary with their added ingredients (ie flavours) and whether they are gritty, etc.
    Personally, my favourite is Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro 70 (but only that one) since it dissolves completely although it has a grassy taste. Otherwise, I like SunWarrior but it is a bit more chalky, chocolate or natural are my preference. I like Vega's Chocolate Sport but nothing else.

I suggest picking something within your budget with sample packs before picking a bigger tub, especially if you might not like it.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support