Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/27/chipotles-sofritas-vegan-tofu-goes-national/

Responses (5)

Report Abuse

Posted by StephenS at 03/01/14 10:32:30

The Full Article;
    After a year of testing, Chipotle says it’s adding a meatless protein that will be used to make vegan and veggie burritos and tacos to its nationwide menu.

Sofritas is an organic tofu that’s shredded and braised with chipotle chilis, roasted poblanos and spices.

Chipotle culinary manager Nate Appleman tells Fast Company that the product went through several revisions before the chain settled on a chili-based recipe that mimics chorizo. So, for example, instead of just chicken or beef, customers can add Sorfritas to their burritos or tacos.

The spicy shredded tofu has been available in select markets like Baltimore and Philadelphia. Starting March 3, it will be available in New York City and Boston, and is rolling out nationally.

The company partnered with soy producer Hodo Soy and worked with them to make their organic, GMO-free, soy-based protein into a tasty taco filling.

Chipotle hopes that the new product will appeal to meat eaters along with vegans and vegetarians, and fits in well with the company’s overall commitment to sustainable farming.

Sofritas are available in tacos, burritos, bowls and salads, and will be sold at the same price as Chipotle's chicken option. Locally, that's $6.37.

• Report Abuse

Posted by MHC48 at 03/06/14 10:38:49

Just had my first Sofrita Burrito today, and wanted to give a shout out to Chipotle. So great that I now have a vegan place to go with friends family and co-workers where they don't have to roll their eyes at the suggestion or what I order.

First it was the change in their beans and now this. Wonder what it would take to get them to consider whole wheat burritos and tacos??

• Report Abuse

Posted by Navegante at 03/06/14 12:03:38

Thanks for posting the article! I visited a Chipolte in Salt Lake City and got the grilled veggies minus the sour cream and cheese. Their customer service was excellent! I LOVED the food, and so did my meat-eating parter. I saw the Sofrita on the menu after ordering. I'll definately be back to try one!

• Report Abuse

Posted by savetheanimals at 03/10/14 05:47:19

I am really glad some fast food chains have national vegan tofu options. Of course loving hut is 100% vegan and global. Unforchantly loving hut isn't always around. Tropical Smoothie Cafe has vegan options. They have beyond meat "chicken". I have a ice cream place near my house that has vegan ice cream. Chipotle is doing a good thing having vegan sofritas. I will make sure they won't regret putting vegan tofu on the menu by voting with my dollars to keep vegan options. Lets not forget that we have vegan restaurants and we should support them first. I make sure I support the 100% vegan places first but, if we need to find someplace to eat out with a carnist we have options.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Bellarina19 at 03/17/14 12:02:12

I think it's pretty good that restaurant chains are opening up to the idea of adding more vegan options. Maybe there will be more opportunities for non vegans to try it, especially those that assume vegans eat nothing but salad and rabbit foods all day

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support